Blood - Box Office Results/Predictions

Started by modage, January 27, 2008, 03:03:40 PM

modage

goodbye per screen averages, hello middle america!

After being nominated for seven Oscars, P.T. Anderson's fifth movie There Will Be Blood doubled its theaters and made its first move into the Top 10 with $4.9 million, bringing its gross to just under the $15 million mark.

8 / There Will Be Blood / Paramount Vantage / Weekend $4,887,000 / 885 Theatres / $14,764,000 Total / 5 Weeks 

so US Box Office SO FAR is...

Boogie Nights $26,384,919
Magnolia $22,450,975
Punch-Drunk Love $17,791,031
There Will Be Blood $14,764,000
Hard Eight $142,356

is there any doubt whether it will surpass all his other grosses?  with the 8 nominations i guess that seems fairly certain at this point which is great for Paul since they had been heading steadily in the other direction.  do we have any new estimates for how much we think this will make theatrically when all is said and done? 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

JG

i didn't realize that so few people saw hard eight in theaters.

godardian

I've gotten over thinking that the films I think deserve to be "number one film in America" box-office-wise will ever be that, but I do still hold out hope for the films I like and the directors I like to at least recoup the film's budget and thereby have a better chance to make their next film. That seems likely here, so I'm happy just because of that.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Stefen

Quote from: godardian on January 27, 2008, 07:54:55 PM
I've gotten over thinking that the films I think deserve to be "number one film in America" box-office-wise will ever be that, but I do still hold out hope for the films I like and the directors I like to at least recoup the film's budget and thereby have a better chance to make their next film. That seems likely here, so I'm happy just because of that.

:yabbse-thumbup:

Basically the way I feel. As long as it makes enough money or gets enough accolades that said filmmaker can make another movie, that's all I care about.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Kal

Problem with his films (or these type of films) is that the studio does not push them enough. Now with the nominations I'm sure they will, and then hopefully it will continue to be in the top 10 for the next few weeks. It does not need much to beat his other movies, so hopefully it will.

Either way after the nominations and the critics he has his next project green-lighted for sure.

Alexandro

Hopefully so. But even Spielberg and Scorsese have problems to get certain films financed, so it's really fucked up out there. I read Spielberg is basically doing Indiana Jones to be able to do Lincoln. That's inexplicable. Anybody knows is there some truth to that?

Fernando

Were did you read that? I don't think it's true, check out his recent world wide box office numbers (in millions):

Munich   83
War of the worlds   591
Terminal   219
Catch me   352
Minority   358

Total: 1,603 in his last five films, that's success if you ask me.

q to the admins or anyone that knows: how do you use the table function?

Alexandro

i dont remember where...

just as i dont remember who's the filmmaker who just last week i read saying something along the lines of "steven and marty scorsese still have problems getting some of their films made". i think it was cronenberg.

Alexandro

also, munich "only" made 83 million, which in the spielberg scale means a weird "letdown"...an "underplayer" and so on. I would say projects like war of the worlds and minority report get the easy greenlight, and when the money people sense he's "getting serious", as with munich and the lincoln project, they get picky.

Fernando

Quote from: Alexandro on January 29, 2008, 02:23:42 PM
just as i dont remember who's the filmmaker who just last week i read saying something along the lines of "steven and marty scorsese still have problems getting some of their films made". i think it was cronenberg.

IIRC it was Francis Ford Coppola who said that.

btw. I just saw cmbb last saturday.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

Finally I do, and now I need to read all the articles and ints you've been posting...

BTW, I went to the noon showing and we were like 10-12 ppl there, bad for pta but awesome for me, I was alone in the row I sat and all 158min. were death silent which is a bliss now days; also I was the only one that stayed for the credits. I might post my useless comments in the proper thread when I have time, right now I have way too much work.

tpfkabi

10 There Will Be Blood  $4,761,000
$21,146,000
well dang, it went down one, but if it keeps about the same it will be close to BN.

i wonder if the theatres will all consider it a dropping 'stone' just because it went down one spot even after adding over 600 more theatres?

then again, it only made 200k less than Cloverfield in half the amount of theatres, so per theatre average is still very good.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

bonanzataz

Quote from: Fernando on January 29, 2008, 04:27:23 PM
all 158min. were death silent which is a bliss now days

i don't understand what fuckin' theaters you're all going to? i haven't been in a theater with an annoying audience since gangs of new york.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

10 / There Will Be Blood / Paramount Vantage / $4,073,000 / 1,620 Theatres / $26,782,000 Total / 7 Weeks

so US Box Office SO FAR is...

There Will Be Blood $26,782,000
Boogie Nights $26,384,919
Magnolia $22,450,975
Punch-Drunk Love $17,791,031
Hard Eight $142,356

now officially highest grossing PTA film.   :bravo:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.