hardest thing about writing

Started by classical gas, November 13, 2003, 03:27:36 AM

classical gas

does anyone else find that the hardest thing about writing is being honest?  i think it's hard for me to let myself loose and write exactly how i feel.  this goes for scripts and short stories, poetry, novels, etc.  it just seems harder and harder to truly say what it is that you'd like to, because of people's judgement, or lack of, and then you think they're not telling you what they really think.  i would not like to be thought of as pretensious, but i like pretensious artists, that's what makes art, imo.  i could read something so incredibly personal by a writer and i and everyone else would love it, but when i think of me doing the same, a wave of insecurities just blocks your train of thought in regards to writing.  
so, i'm sure everyone faces this problem.  any ideas on how to get rid of this feeling of fear?  is it that you just have to do it and accept what others think.  seems so easy, but...
oh and if this is a re-direct, please try to refrain from redirecting my inner most thoughts and fears.  also, this isn't a drunken plea of a post; i'm completely sober, just been on my mind for a while.  thanks.[/b]

kotte

I don't think you should focus on writing what you feel. As new filmmakers we, as a group, tend to compare ourself to other filmmakers.
Focus on a good story you'd like to tell, with interesting characters. When you've gained security in your writing, you can let more and more of your feelings in to it.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: classical gasi'm completely sober
ok, that's the 1st problem...hehe.

Ghostboy

Don't compare yourself to other filmmakers too much. I often will look at some other director or writer and think that I need to step it up a level...but then I realize that I already have, it's just different. So instead of comparing my work to that of others, I try my best to be objective about it and judge it on its own merits. If you're managing to put out original material, comparing yourself to others is never going to be satisfying.

And as far as putting what you really feel into the story...do it. Pour yourself out. You can cut out the excess later, but if you don't really feel what you're writing, what's the point of writing it? Unless it's just an exercise, which is certainly worthwhile, or it's for a paycheck, which is definitely worthwhile. But if, at the moment, you're mainly writing it for yourself (even if it's a screenplay you have every intention of putting on film), and if you trust your own good taste, you should just try to make yourself happy.

TheVoiceOfNick

Yeah, just be honest with yourself, and let that honesty come out in your writing... let it all out... screenwriting is almost like therapy for me... and when I actually put it on film... or video... it becomes even more theraputic for me...

my REAL problem with writing, which is something I think a lot of writers have problems with, is that many of my characters speak with the same voice... they have almost no distinguishing features... sure, maybe one is a rat and one is a saint, but they both have the same way of approaching things... but i think this is ok sometimes, since these characters are usually just manifestations of who i am... my own many different characters...

no matter what you write though, just be honest about it... it'll really show through in your work.

Slick Shoes

VoiceOfNick--Your post reminds me of something the great F. Scott Fitzgerald said one time. He said, and I might be paraphrasing here a bit, that all of his characters are really just thinly veiled versions of himself, even the female characters are just effeminate versions of his own personality. Of course, the guy was drunk half the time...

classical gas

ingmar bergman said the same thing, and i'll bet woody would too.

thanks for the input.  it's great to talk with other writers and get some reassurance with all the problems you encounter.

kotte

Quote from: GhostboyIf you're managing to put out original material, comparing yourself to others is never going to be satisfying.

This is so fuckin' true...and something we all have to realize.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: classical gasingmar bergman said the same thing, and i'll bet woody would too.

I think so many people have said it because its true... your characters come from your own experiences... you can study people and subject matters all you want, but when it comes time to do the writing, you're going to present the facts slanted towards your point of view whether you want to or not... just like Robert Evans said in the Kid Stays in the Picture: "There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently"

Your life experiences mold who you are, what you do, what you write, etc.  Your views on life, love, politics, etc will all be influences for your writing.  It's at a subconscience level...

meatball

The hardest thing about writing or anything that I work hard on and consider a creation... is how it is recieved. Good or bad. If it's recieved well I love the positive feedback, but at the same time I don't want to overinflate my ego or pride. If it's recieved poorly, I question myself a lot. Criticism's tough. Probably my biggest obstacle.

The Silver Bullet

Ghostboy, your posts never fail to render my own somewhat redundant.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: meatballThe hardest thing about writing or anything that I work hard on and consider a creation... is how it is recieved. Good or bad. If it's recieved well I love the positive feedback, but at the same time I don't want to overinflate my ego or pride. If it's recieved poorly, I question myself a lot. Criticism's tough. Probably my biggest obstacle.

I love criticism, good or bad... because that's the only way to learn... i sometimes have an inflated ego, but getting some advice on what i should work on always help me get better, and makes me realize that i'm still learning, as we all are...

Gamblour.

The hardest part for me: starting.
WWPTAD?

SoNowThen

Quote from: meatballThe hardest thing about writing or anything that I work hard on and consider a creation... is how it is recieved. Good or bad. If it's recieved well I love the positive feedback, but at the same time I don't want to overinflate my ego or pride. If it's recieved poorly, I question myself a lot. Criticism's tough. Probably my biggest obstacle.

I find whenever I'm praised it's for a completely stupid reason, or something that I had no control over in the first place. Usually when my stuff is poorly received, I find that the person missed the point completely, or seemed biased from the start, or again points out something I had nothing to do with. So I can't win when I get feedback on my work. Yet I must show it. Weird.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: SoNowThenI find whenever I'm praised it's for a completely stupid reason, or something that I had no control over in the first place. Usually when my stuff is poorly received, I find that the person missed the point completely, or seemed biased from the start, or again points out something I had nothing to do with. So I can't win when I get feedback on my work. Yet I must show it. Weird.

The worst type of critism i've ever recieved from someone...

"It's good..."

Give me a fucking break... can you be more specific?  Was it all good, or were their parts you didn't like?  Don't let me spend six months on a project, watch it, then say "it's good"... elaborate!  This is why I don't test my movies and scripts with most of my friends... only like 3 of my friends can actually articulate what the hell is wrong with my work!  Suprisingly, my girlfriend is my toughest critic... she belittles most of my work... only when something is truly good does she say "I like it"... Since I know she's very critical... a praise from her give's me a lot of satisfaction... but most of the time i'm left saying "what do you mean the character was too one-sided? You're delusional!   :)