The Pangs Suffered For A Good Movie Channel

Started by gob, July 11, 2006, 04:08:56 PM

gob

Didn't really know where to put this thread but here looks as good a place as any... it's a Small Screen matter but is not about TV shows.

Anyhoo...

Living in the UK I feel slightly hard done by as far as films shown on TV goes. Whilst Sky Cinema shows decent stuff and TCM is pretty interesting, FilmFour is not as good as it has been or as it should be and I fear as it becomes free soon and now has adverts (balls) it will become even more commerical in its selection of films.

Having recently purchased the top documentary Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession I yearn for a channel as good as Z was and as brave in its programming. There are films out there not on dvd that I'm desperate to see (Bertolucci's The Conformist probably being the best example) that maybe a channel like that would give me the chance to see.

I wish I could get IFC and Sundance Channel over here as those look pretty darn good in their choice of films and other film related programmes. Is that just a case of the grass being greener or are they actually top dog?

Anybody got a heap of cash lying about that they want to spend on setting up and maintaining a worldwide film tv channel to cater for xixaxers all over the world?