Booksmart

Started by Alethia, May 28, 2019, 04:14:16 PM

Drenk

It's a fun movie. The clipesque/derivative aesthetic is not something I appreciate, but: it's nice to watch. It represents clips/other movies more than the director's sense of reality/experience (Eighth Grade is a great movie and does exactly that).
There is a very fake movie argument coming at the perfect movie time but the wrong story time in this movie/movie that does absolutely nothing to me—and the music didn't help—which illustrates my issues. But you want to watch it with friends, eating crap (not literal crap but you do you).

50% of the jokes come from Twitter, but there was a movie I hated whose name I forgot  that had all his jokes coming from Twitter. Booksmart has some life.

But I can see movies like that being released as 15 minutes episodes on YouTube in the future. It would defeat the purpose of watching it with friends—but, hey, we'll exchange tweets.
Ascension.

Something Spanish

movie's tons of fun, exactly what you'd expect for the genre with a smidgen more brain and heart than what's usually afforded to most teen flicks. come to think of it, the only teen gross out comedy flick that comes to mind post-90's is....uh, like, superbad. don't know if i liked this so much because i haven't seen one like it in such a long time, but i laughed a lot and held affection for these characters. a lot of really funny moments. olivia wilde did her thing, keeping the story energized with fitting tunes and raucous gags. the leading ladies let loose in the way of good comedy duos, and best of all, the writing was tight considering the number of scribes attributed to the script. all in all, glad I caught the last showtime before this baby says adios to s. fl theaters.

polkablues

This one's a freebie, but the next person who posts a Lights Camera Jackson video on this board gets banned so hard their entire bloodline logs out.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Something Spanish

Quote from: polkablues on June 26, 2019, 01:18:32 AM
This one's a freebie, but the next person who posts a Lights Camera Jackson video on this board gets banned so hard their entire bloodline logs out.

preach.

Jeremy Blackman

Here's a hot take...

"Booksmart," a High School Movie for Biden Voters

"Its politics are a Panglossian catastrophe. It's a false, shallow narrative that Celebrates Women in a world that doesn't exist, a You Go Girl world where No Elite Child is Left Behind, Botswana is a trading card for virtue signaling, Christian parents think being gay is adorable and they make hors d'oeuvres about it, everybody gets into the Good School, and we can all congratulate ourselves on our awareness and empathy right up until the moment the water is closing over our heads."

https://popula.com/2019/05/25/booksmart-a-high-school-movie-for-biden-voters/

pete

I went to a screening where Olivia Wilde proclaimed that she wanted to make a Generational Anthem and also proudly played down the politics of the film, saying she just wanted to make a fast times film where the characters just happen to be women/ queer etc., and it's too bad that Euphoria came out a month later and showed what an actual generation anthem looked like and what happens when the story actually cares about how the characters choose to identify themselves as opposed to them being characters' costumes. it's all the more unfortunate when both pieces feature a house party (that seems to take place in the same house?) and armchair critics like me get to watch a side by side comparison and yell "there are levels to this" at the computer screen.

tho I do think Katilin Dever is a generational talent.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

©brad

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on November 23, 2019, 04:13:12 PM
Here's a hot take...

"Booksmart," a High School Movie for Biden Voters

"Its politics are a Panglossian catastrophe. It's a false, shallow narrative that Celebrates Women in a world that doesn't exist, a You Go Girl world where No Elite Child is Left Behind, Botswana is a trading card for virtue signaling, Christian parents think being gay is adorable and they make hors d'oeuvres about it, everybody gets into the Good School, and we can all congratulate ourselves on our awareness and empathy right up until the moment the water is closing over our heads."

https://popula.com/2019/05/25/booksmart-a-high-school-movie-for-biden-voters/

I mean that's pretty funny and possibly accurate, but I don't know. I feel the movie is too sweet-natured and charming to rouse such vitirol. Sure the high school in the movie might not exist, but you could say the same thing for most high school movies. I didn't feel the movie force-feeding a political agenda. I mean beyond the opening sequence with the Warren bumper sticker, it's all pretty innocuous. 

The two leads, the music, and a few truly funny sequences won me over. I'm excited to see what Wilde does next.