Booksmart

Started by Alethia, May 28, 2019, 04:14:16 PM

Alethia

I liked it. It's being wildly overpraised, of course, but it's got a good heart and a lot of laughs and I'm glad I saw it. Kaitlyn Dever is great, as is Lady Bird's bestie.

Obviously if you don't like it you're a misogynist.

Go out and add to its (surprisingly tepid) box office!

Something Spanish

was really turned off by the trailer, oddly still want to give it a shot. trailer made it seem like it was trying too hard to be a gross out teen flick that's outlandish just for the heck of it.

polkablues

Looks to be situated somewhere around the midpoint between Blockers and Edge of Seventeen, which means I will likely enjoy it very much.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alethia

It's highly enjoyable. Heart firmly in mouth, with many a landing joke.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: eward on May 28, 2019, 09:36:00 PMHeart firmly in mouth

What is this, Temple of Doom?

Alethia

Lol! Heart firmly "in place" is what I think I meant.

wilberfan

OK, honest truth:  I enjoyed this a lot more than "Lady Bird" in the coming-of-age category.  (But I thought "Bird" pretty overrated.)   I actually LOL'd several times.  Peppy writing and direction.  The cast was very good, too. 

Alethia

I liked the film, but I also agree with Mr. Pinkerton (America's finest film critic, if you were to ask me, but you didn't, so I'm flat-out stating it).

Drenk

Pinkerton truly doesn't get PTA, though.
Ascension.

Alethia

That was one of the main hurdles in my opening up to his writing completely, but when you look at the reviews, it's really only CMBB and The Master he couldn't get with (while still retaining a degree of admiration for both). And the way he goes to bat for Denis sends it home for me.

He also happens to be hilarious.

Something Spanish

i thought ben hosley was our finest film critic...

Alethia

Something Spanish

mr hositive, ben night shyamalan, tiebreaker benny

Alethia

...Prodoer Ben, The Benducer, The Poet Laureate, The Meatlover, The Fart Detective, The Peeper, Birthday Benny...

Drenk

SPOILERS?

I shouldn't be live Xixaxing, but: wouldn't it be funnier if in that bathroom's scene the girl just said: "Oh, I'm going to Yale too. My parents are paying." The girl would realize that the meritocracy is a lie and would kill herself, instead of thinking that she could have enjoyed high school while scoring perfect grades. Okay. Maybe it wouldn't have been funny, then.

Kaitlin Dever is great; too bad that the focus seems to be on overacting Beanie Feldstein. (They don't have movie stars name.)

It's a nice movie. Feldsteinn should RELAX, though. The clipesque/derivative aesthetic is not something I appreciate, but: it's nice to watch. But I can see movies like that being released as 15 minutes episodes on YouTube in the future.
Ascension.