Dexter

Started by gob, October 24, 2006, 01:59:21 PM

Jeremy Blackman

So far so good. Oh, and judging by the teaser for next week (SPOILER ALERT?), it looks like this is already happening:

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 02, 2012, 04:52:35 PMBold prediction: Next season, if not sooner, Deb will be deploying Dexter as her secret weapon.

It's only a matter of time (maybe lots of time, but still) before Dexter's "help" turns darker.

I guess the organized crime thing is decent enough, but I'm more interested in the Louis plot right now. How on earth will Dexter deal with him?

Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestion on October 07, 2012, 02:26:24 PMEven if you don't like "Lost", their deal to break only 3 additional seasons caused the writing to become tighter and that oddly enough gave them time to play around more with their presentation (flash-forwards, time travel, etc.).  I hope tonight's episode has us all on our seats just the slightest bit too.

That's not a bad theory. I guess it never occurred to me. (Although, the beginning of Lost Season 3, when Damon Lindelof says the writers felt like they were in jail along with the characters because they were waiting for that deal, is one of the most intense stretches of Lost episodes in the entire show.)

But yeah. Last season should have been skipped; they obviously just threw up their hands and phoned it in. They shouldn't even put it on DVD. Season 5 to Season 7 would have been a natural transition. Season 5 had loads of substance and the best Dexter introspection content of any season. That would segue nicely into what's happening now.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 08, 2012, 12:15:00 AM
Season 5 to Season 7 would have been a natural transition.

Agreed. There were only four things I liked about Season 6.
1) The idea of Dexter dealing with spirituality. Executed kinda okay, but not seeing the lasting effects in this season.
2) Mos Def's performance.
3) The idea that Dexter isn't the only one whose mentor appears from beyond the grave.
4) Batista and Quinn gettin' high.

I think people tend to underplay Season 5 because it had to live up to the bar of Season 4's suspense and surprises.
I dug it thought. Especially Peter Weller.

diggler

Lithgow brought a nice dynamic, but I haven't really been into the show since Season 2. This season has been great though, it feels completely different than last season. Dexter's monologue at the dinner table is the kind of thing this show does well, especially capped off with Deb's "you are crazy" response. It's fun to watch again.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

MacGuffin

If the rest of the season was a good as the finale episode, this season would've been great. Instead I mainly got a lesson in having a Russian stripper as a girlfriend.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Dexter has pretty much established itself as a cartoon in my opinion. Mostly lots of bad people without shades of grey getting killed. Apparently since it's more convenient for the main character to have a soul, he's got one.
I liked how the finale brings us into new territory, and this was a pretty good season until Jim Beaver showed up playing an AWESOME asshole...he was good in it, just saying, of COURSE he was going to be a bastard. That's the only way Dexter would be able to kill him! Duhrr!
Sometimes this show is like reading an 8th grader's fan fiction. I'll still watch it, about 1/2 the performances are still quite good.

MacGuffin

Dexter Is Getting The Ax! Officially Ending After Season 8!

The Ice Truck Killer, The Skinner, Trinity- no one can stop Dexter!

Oh, except maybe Les Moonves!

The CBS CEO, who also runs sister network Showtime, let the body parts out of the bag at an investor conference in Palm Beach on Monday.

When discussing the future lineup for the edgy premium network, Les said:

"We have Ray Donovan coming on with Liev Schreiber, which comes on with Dexter's last season starting in June, and then we have Masters of Sex."

We can only assume Masters Of Sex is a more fun version of Masters Of Horror, but the most important word in that sentence was the one he may not have meant to say — last!

It seems the serial killer serial is wrapping up like one of Dexter's kill rooms after season eight! Bummer!

But hey, at least we have a whole season to tie up all the loose ends! We're hoping for one crazy amazing finale!
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Season 8 preview:

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Whoah, very nice. Lots of potential there.

holy %&$!
-
PREDICTIONS:

- this will be the best season ever possibly.
- dexter will kill deb and then he gets killed maybe.
- harrison harrison? yeah no sh!t
- we get a bunch of awesome redux flashbacks to doakes and he says motherfæcker a few times.
- this will be the best season ever possibly.
ALSO:
- has anyone ever used 'the end begins' before? not the end of the beginning or vice versa. (sorry for so many tenses)
- deb has gradually bettered her acting over the seasons, this seems to be her peak. and my god she is finally hot. it sucks she had to be stoned to do so.
- the doctor story is already awesome. someone correct me if i'm wrong but we havent seen a dexter enemy as original as this have we?

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Charlotte Rampling.
Never figured we'd see her chillin' onscreen with MC Hall.

so nobody else here is watching this season?
im not going to launch into a spoilerful analysis if not many can read it

Jeremy Blackman

I'm watching. Haven't watched #3 yet, but it's pretty good, and Charlotte Rampling is the highlight. Meltdown Deb is entertaining and is pretty much the logical conclusion of her character.

I do feel vastly less emotionally invested in the show than I did in say, Season 4 and 5.

polkablues

I gave up after two episodes of season 6, then watched most of season 7 before I just forgot to keep watching. I'd love to give this final season the benefit of the doubt, because I really did used to love this show, but I think I'm just going to have to wait for it to end then try and watch it all in one go.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

It seems increasingly unlikely that this, the final season, will have a huge finish. And because of that, my investment and even interest in the show is draining. But maybe I have high standards... I think I would be disappointed if Deb does not end up on Dexter's table. Something that big needs to happen.

Any predictions?

Brando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on July 17, 2013, 10:23:10 PM
Any predictions?

How Dexter is going to end is much more difficult to predict than say how Breaking Bad is going to end. Dexter hasn't been building toward anything. Dexter's character arc has become much more ambiguous as the show went on instead of focusing with the show ending. We've seen him kill or be involved in the murder of innocent people so he is no longer the "good guy" murderer as the he was when the show began.

The show has been emphasizing Dexter's emotions and reactions to situations are different to how Evelyn expects from a psychopath. I would guess the Dr would continue to talk to Dexter and try cure him of his dark passenger. While I can see Dexter being helped it's hard for me to see Deb getting better with Dexter still being around. Continuing with Dexter not having emotional coldness of a psychopath, I see the show ending with Dexter having to make some sort of sacrifice in order to help/save Deb. He might have to let himself be put on a table with pictures of his victims. Or Dexter will take the blame for LaGuerta and admit being the Bay Harbor Butcher freeing Deb.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.