Better Call Saul

Started by Kal, September 11, 2013, 04:29:39 PM

Kal

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 26, 2018, 11:24:41 AM
SPOILERS
Some nitpicks. Jimmy's pastor character was almost full-on Mr. Show. It was a little too much. If I were the prosecutor, I would have immediately done a whois search on the church website domain, which ostensibly would have revealed the scam. There are a few too many loose ends.

I thought the Germans wanted actual prostitutes or something. They're somehow satisfied by watching bikini-clad dancers?

Remember this is still early 2000s, so I can't imagine a DA from Albuquerque being savvy enough with the Internet to do a WHOIS search, and even if you do so many domains block their registration details. Oh and by the way, Google Maps didn't even come out until 2005  :shock:

Sleepless

So this is why VG hasn't been in the writer's room for the past year+

'Breaking Bad' Movie In the Works With Creator Vince Gilligan

Seems this is a new strategy for AMC. Earlier in the week they announced Andrew Lincoln's Walking Dead character hasn't actually been killed off the show - true, he'll never appear again - but that's because he's getting his own spin-off movie series.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

©brad

Quote from: Sleepless on November 07, 2018, 12:19:17 PM

Interesting... but he's still directed quite a few eps of season 4 no?

WorldForgot

Quote from: ©brad on November 07, 2018, 12:46:05 PM
Quote from: Sleepless on November 07, 2018, 12:19:17 PM

Interesting... but he's still directed quite a few eps of season 4 no?

Uno

Drenk

If it's about Jesse, great. It kind of sucked how much season 5 didn't really care about him.
Ascension.

Sleepless

Jesse was my thought too. AP needs a career resurrection.

I think it was mentioned on one of the very last episodes of the S4 podcast (probably Wiedersehen) that he hadn't been involved in the writing this season, which was the first official confirmation I was aware of. Although in previous episodes he'd asked PG how they came to certain decisions, which I thought was weird at the time, but just figured he'd not been part of those specific conversations. Something else I saw somewhere said he wasn't in the writer's room last season either, but he is a credited writer on Mabel.

Either way, he's still very much involved in BCS, but not in the writing (at least for S4). I guess because he's been focusing on this.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Sleepless

S5 premieres February 23.

WorldForgot

wilberfan

WorldForgot

Their key-art/promo materials for each season has been its own work of art.

WorldForgot

Lalo Salamanca is such a great character. Tony Dalton going toe-to-toe with Giancarlo Esposito, what a delight. Meanwhile, Odenkirk gets to play two distinct personalities as "Saul" grows and develops and Kim gets stuck at the crossroads.

Loved
"It's the closet of your dreams."
"Our dreams."
"Sure."

Drenk

I'm extremely bored when all that Narco shit gets all the screentime, even though it's done in an entertaining way and all—but I don't care. And it's getting extremely silly when all the drug addicts are treated like goofy characters.
Ascension.

WorldForgot

This seemz to be an issue you have with Breaking Bad/El Camino too -- I mean you called El Camino just an extended ep of BB. It's an aesthetic or tonal concern, but none of the "narco" crime elements or comedic-stylized druggie bits in BCS are dissimilar from Breaking Bad's. Narco-crime has been a huge focus since Salamanca and El Paso. Its tone hits like pulp, not corn.

I mean, the parking lot shootout with Hank and the Twins? Gus Fring as a character? Badger and Skinny Pete. Even the "yeah, bitch!" motif became its own meme. Its druggie vibe has always had goofy charm.  But that's also what makes episodes like "Peekaboo" all the more tense and potent.

Last season at the moneywire storefront, Lalo's ceiling drop became one of my fav moments :p

Jeremy Blackman

Enjoyed the episodes as always. So much writerly subtext in practically every scene. And Lalo is indeed a great character. But two bits felt off for me:

Spoiler: ShowHide
The crime spree montage was a little ridiculous. Strange theory that those guys would be inspired to do crime when they learn their consequences might be 50% less. Unless they are truly stupid as dirt. And maybe that's what the show is trying to say. Still, a weird lack of subtlety.

Mike's blowup at Kaylee was strange and went on too long. Am I wrong? Just seemed like he would catch himself and take back some self-control. He was weirdly committed to bullying her for much longer than I was willing to buy.