80's Feel Good Movies

Started by Duck Sauce, June 23, 2003, 05:32:47 PM

Duck Sauce

Inspired by Redlum and his avatar (http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2267)

Post your favorites and even not so favorites;

Teen Wolf
Back to the Future
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
The Wizard

Kev Hoffman

Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Back to the Future Series (though it dipped into the 90s)
ET
Christmas Story

Redlum

The Boy Who Could Fly
...still waiting for the dvd

Batteries not included.

&

Short Circuit
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

MacGuffin

Quote from: redlumThe Boy Who Could Fly
...still waiting for the dvd

Region 1 comes out July 8:

On a related note:
http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1525

But have to add:
Lucas
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Redlum

You may well have just made my day.

Covers not too cool though.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Derek

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

meatwad

Ernie

I'm gonna stick to my favorites, one of my favorite mini genres this is...

bill & ted's excellent adventure
beetlejuice
adventures in babysitting
the goonies
raising arizona
say anything...
the breakfast club
after hours
the color of money
the great outdoors
something wild
heathers
christine
poltergeist (it's feel good to me)
raiders of the lost ark
ghostbusters
ghostbusters 2
ferris bueller's day off
drugstore cowboy (CRIMINALLY underrated)
back to the future trilogy
cocktail
fast times at ridgemont high
ET

That's as much as I can think of...love em all to death. Doing this made me notice something pretty cool-all the great films of the 80's (or my favorites at least) are feel good movies. The only serious 80's movies I can think of that I really love are Raging Bull, The Elephant Man, and Do the Right Thing. I think that's kinda cool. It's just a nice, feel good decade...good in it's own little way. This was a good thread.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: ebeaman
There's more, I'll edit later...

no, you edit now

modage

Quote from: ebeamansomething wild
christine

you felt good after watching these?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

chainsmoking insomniac

Hamburger....

Who could forget that cheesy-ass theme song: "Hamburgers across America!!!"
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Jeremy Blackman

I'm starting to feel a little nauseous...

modage

JOHN HUGHES TRILOGY DVDS
The holy grail of the cinema du John Hughes - Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club and Weird Science - is finally ready to be unleashed on September 2nd from Universal Studios Home Video. As the disciples of the pied piper of 80's teen cinema already know all too well, the long hoped-for reissues of these flicks have already been announced once and then postponed, so will this time be the charm? Let's hope so, and although full specs have not yet been announced, each will be newly remastered in anamorphic widescreen with Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround tracks, plus trailers. Retail will be $19.95 each, or $39.95 for a 3-disc Brat Pack set. Stay tuned...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sigur Rós

Just look for something starring Chevy Chase!

Ernie

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: ebeamansomething wild
christine

you felt good after watching these?

Yup. I see how DC might be depressing to some but I find it pretty fun and light overall. I love the whole little family they have, Bob and all of them...all the narration and the super 8 stuff just makes me feel good. I guess Requiem for a Dream really killed any shock value DC may have had. It does get a little dark in the latter parts but nothing major. It all ends on a pretty good note. And then Poltergeist has also lost a lot of it's shock value. I didn't see that back when it was popular or really controversial either you have to remember.

As for the other three, I don't see why you sound surprised. They're pretty harmless. Something Wild is just what it sounds like to me, a crazy romp of a road movie. Again, maybe it does get a little scary there at the end and Ray Liotta is pretty fucking harsh but it's fun overall to watch. And Christine is just a great bad John Carpenter horror movie.  :?:

One thing, I completely forgot to mention Full Metal Jacket amongst my favorite serious 80's movies. I still think of it as a pretty happy decade movie-wise though.