Great Christmas Music

Started by modage, December 02, 2003, 09:57:30 PM

modage

a little more holiday spirit for everyone...

there's more..  oh so much more...  did i mention it was christmastime  yet?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

It doesn't get better than the Nutcracker though this is probably awesome too
I like to hug dogs

freakerdude

Where's the Christmas rock at? Anybody heard of any with the likes along that line?

Elvis and The Beach Boys sound like good ones.
MC Pee Pants

modage

Quote from: freakerdudeWhere's the Christmas rock at? Anybody heard of any with the likes along that line?

Elvis and The Beach Boys sound like good ones.

elvis and the beach boys ARE good ones.  those are mainly some of my favorite traditional christmas records, although i have made a few discs worth of 'newer rock' type stuff that i listen to as well.  the trouble with most of it, (well the trouble with most of it, is that it sucks,) but the trouble with what's good is that for the most part they're just singles or released on compilations and not an entire albums worth.  so the trouble is tracking all the songs down and putting them together.  here is what i've got that might be more interesting to you (although the quality of music varies, most of the artists i have liked at one time or another)...

DISC ONE
Tom Petty - It's Christmas All Over Again
Fountains of Wayne - The Man In The Santa Suit
Phantom Planet - Winter Wonderland
Bright Eyes - Blue Christmas
Badly Drawn Boy - Donna And Blitzen
Aimee Mann & Michael Penn - It's Christmastime
Coldplay - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
Smashing Pumpkins - Christmastime
The Kinks - Father Christmas
John Lennon - Happy Xmas (War Is Over)
Paul McCartney & Wings - Wonderful Christmastime
Simon & Garfunkel - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
Jimmy Eat World - Last Christmas
U2 - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
The Ramones - Merry Christmas (I Dont Want To Fight Tonite)
The Flaming Lips - White Christmas
The Dandy Warhols - Little Drummer Boy
Ben Folds - Lonely Christmas Eve
Fountains Of Wayne - I Want An Alien For Christmas
Beck - Little Drum Machine Boy
David Bowie & Bing Crosby - Little Drummer Boy (Peace On Earth)

DISC TWO
Grandaddy - Alan Parsons In A Winter Wonderland
Low - Just Like Christmas
The Eels - Everything's Gonna Be Cool This Christmas
Weezer - The Christmas Song
Squeeze - Christmas Day
The Flaming Lips - Christmas At The Zoo
Bruce Springsteen - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (live)
Belle & Sebastian - O Come, O Come Emmanuel
The White Stripes - Candy Cane Children
The Eels - Christmas Is Going To The Dogs
Elton John - Step Into Christmas
The Pretenders - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
Queen - Thank God It's Christmas
Chris Cornell - Ave Maria
Bruce Springsteen - Merry Christmas Baby
Ben Folds - Bizarre Christmas Incident
Weezer - Christmas Celebration
Jimi Hendrix - Little Drummer Boy/Silent Night/Auld Lang Syne
Pearl Jam - Let Me Sleep (It's Christmas)
Fiona Apple - Please Come Home For Christmas (live)

and like i mentioned in another thread, waiting for the Fiona Apple "Frosty The Snowman" as well as the Jack White song from the Cold Mountain Sntk.  hope this was some sort of help.  i certainly cant vouch for all of THAT being 'great', but i'm sure you guys should be able to find a few things on here worth listenin' to.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

Does anybody want to send me that Hendrix medly of Little Drummer Boy/Silent Night/Auld Lang Syne over AIM?  my name is MulhollandDoctor, but I'll need to add your name before you can see me on your list
I like to hug dogs

Pedro

Ghostboy

I can't think of a Christmas song I like more than the John Lennon Happy Xmas one.

But I haven't heard half of those songs on your list, themodernage, and I bet that many of them are great. I know I like the ones by the Pumpkins and Weezer, and the Ramones one is classic.

aclockworkjj

ever sit through the Hard Eight credits?

NEON MERCURY

heres a suggestion for all the ladies out there .....keep the mistletoe ready b/c once you spin this ..its on baby!!!!!!!

aclockworkjj

Gloria

Quote from: Pedro the Wombat

Excellent choice.  One of my favorite christmas albums.

modage

Quote from: Donald DarkoXmas blows.

welcome to the board, i can see we're going to get along swimmingly.  :-D

phil marlowe

what?? no mention of the stylistics great christmas album??? that and sinatra singing winter wonderland should have no competion.

modage

Quote from: phil marlowewhat?? no mention of the stylistics great christmas album??? that and sinatra singing winter wonderland should have no competion.

never heard the stylistics album, (nor the carpenters for that matter).  i mentioned one sinatra christmas record although i also love  
what album does he sing "winter wonderland" on?  my favorite version of that is johnny mathis's.

phil marlowe

Quote from: themodernage02never heard the stylistics album, (nor the carpenters for that matter).  i mentioned one sinatra christmas record although i also love  
what album does he sing "winter wonderland" on?  my favorite version of that is johnny mathis's.
this baby!

there's just something about his voice, i dunno what it is.. but it makes me shiver everytime.