Best cut in film history?

Started by Spike, September 21, 2003, 12:19:21 PM

Spike

What do you think?
One of my faves is definately in "Se7en": At the beginning when Somerset tries to fall asleep and puts the metronom on. You see the metronom in a close-up-shot, it's clicking exactly 7 times, then it cutes rapidly to black, in the black you hear the sound of a thunder and then the beginning credits start. That's really fantastic!
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

Ghostboy

Best cut is arguable. Most iconic cut would be in 2001.

Alethia

don't know about best, but a nice one is in pulp fiction, when bruce willis gets smacked in the face with the butt end of a shotgun.  it cuts to a close up for about a millisecond, then back.  nicely done.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

In House of 1,000 Corpses where he says the "most of all...fuck YOU" line, then it goes to black and you hear "Fucker got blood on my favorite clown shoes" and that eerie laugh as 'a Rob Zombie film' appears on the screen.

Not THE best, but awesome.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

cine

Quote from: GhostboyBest cut is arguable. Most iconic cut would be in 2001.

That's what I would've said. I won't even think of a runner up. It's all 2001.

dufresne

EXT: RESTAURANT - PARKING LOT - NIGHT

WE SEE HENRY pushing KAREN into the car.

KAREN (V.O.):
Before it was even time to go home he was
pushing me into the car...

EXT: CURBSIDE - KAREN'S HOUSE - NIGHT

WE SEE HENRY hurrying Karen out of the car

KAREN (V.O.):
...and then pulling me out.  It was ridiculous.
There are shadows in life, baby.

NEON MERCURY

the scissors in blue velvet when the yellow polic tape gets cut..

the scene encompasses two cuts for the price of one....

Spike

"2001" has definately one of the (perhaps the) best cuts ever.
It's so simple, but so impressive and powerful.
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

cine

When I first saw Touch of Evil, I felt that the opening sequence where they cut to the falling exploding car was too early for how it was going. After the film, I went to Ebert's at the time recent Great Movie review of Touch of Evil to read his thoughts and read that he felt the cut was premature. I thought ":shock: Yea..... Yeahh... THAT'S RIGHT!"  and I was happy.

mutinyco

I'm in the 2001 camp. It's just obvious.

Kubrick had a way of taking common elements of film language and simply, effortlessly making iconic images.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

samsong

Lawrence of Arabia... blowing out match to sunrise in the desert... or was it sunset..

Gamblour.

Another good cut in Se7en is right before I think Thursday, they're sitting on the couch and it jump cuts to Pitt sleeping with his head on Freeman, very fucking cute.
WWPTAD?

phil marlowe

'looks like it was cut with scissors.'

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: samsongLawrence of Arabia... blowing out match to sunrise in the desert... or was it sunset..
It was sunrise.
And that's my favourite too. Far and away, without a doubt.

"It's going to be fun."
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

SHAFTR

Quote from: The Silver Bullet
Quote from: samsongLawrence of Arabia... blowing out match to sunrise in the desert... or was it sunset..
It was sunrise.
And that's my favourite too. Far and away, without a doubt.

"It's going to be fun."

I agree...also a great cut (if it is considered one) in a bad movie is in The Rules of Attraction when the split screens join.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"