While We're Young

Started by MacGuffin, December 04, 2014, 09:47:08 AM

MacGuffin

Release date: March 27, 2015

Starring: Amanda Seyfried, Naomi Watts, Adam Driver, Ben Stiller, Charles Grodin

Directed by: Noah Baumbach

Premise: An uptight documentarian and his wife find their lives loosened up a bit after befriending a free-spirited younger couple.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

wilder

Good movie...there's an electric sequence towards the end that reminded me of the kinds of climaxes you'd sometimes see in 80s movies like Risky Business... The trailer made the movie seem like kind of a throwaway Baumbach effort but it turns into something more serious and heartfelt than you initially expect. Adam Driver is great. Top of the year so far.

wilder

piscesvirgorising

I really enjoyed Frances Ha, but I think I may have liked this film even more. I expected it would be amusing, but it was laugh-out-loud hilarious. Baumbach's on a hot streak. 

wilder

Gold Trumpet

Such a poor film. Going into this film, I worried about characterization because to make a comedy about aging people at the crossroads of realization about their age and trying to be young again, you run into the traffic jam of a lot of other movies made beforehand. I didn't expect anything different as far as third plot revelations and deeper moments go because all these movies perform the layup philosophy of the protagonist finding peace with their age and realizing youth culture is more swarm with bullshit, but characterization-wise, I wondered what difference Baumbach would show before leading up to the obvious. The answer for me was not much. Making a film about a documentary filmmaker/teacher, he kept a lot of references in-house to his world and easy interest for people to identify with who were already into film. The comedy plays off recent trends and the elders having difficulty fitting in, but considering trends age and die so quickly, it won't take long for a lot of the references to feel old quickly. The film being so interested in the superficial dynamics of Stiller and Watt being obviously embarrassing about a lot of obvious situations in a lot of obvious facets of why (as characters) they would be interested in change and what that would mean just felt like a languid journey to something tediously awful because it was all too predictable.

wilder