Film School

Started by finlayr, April 16, 2003, 08:09:50 PM

finlayr

Hey everyone.  Just wanted to see what everyone here thought of film school.  I personally don't believe in it unless you're going just for the experience and to take part in the calloborative processes and to meet people who share the same interests.  I believe that you don't need to waste money and time on a two year (over here in Ireland) or a four year (in the States I think) course just to get a piece of paper that CAN'T PROVE THAT YOU CAN MAKE GOOD MOVIES.  I think...I KNOW that it's PASSION, DETERMINATION, LOVE, TALENT and a million other things...CONTACTS (no matter how small)...but really DAMN GOOD SCRIPTS or FILMS that will be what gets you work in the film industry.

What DO YOU THINK????????  Do you think FILM SCHOOL is necessary?  In what ways does it help/not help?

Oh, by the way, I bumped into Neil Jordan last night on Dame Street.  such a great guy and we bullshitted for 10 minutes about The Ring.  I forget why...maybe because I brought up horror films....
Filmmaker

mindfuck

No I DON'T THINK that FILM SCHOOL is the answer for getting into THE INDUSTRY, but honestly IT CAN'T HURT if you've got THE CASH and are planning on going TO COLLEGE anyway.

finlayr

okay THANKS for giving YOUR opinion on THAT.  sarcastic crows here, are WE?
Filmmaker

Duck Sauce

I dont think it is at all necesary but I bet it doesnt hurt and could give experience to those who arent born film gods. I also think its interesting to see what the people who graduated from USC, UCLA and NYU film school go on to do.

mindfuck

Quote from: Duck SauceI dont think it is at all necesary but I bet it doesnt hurt and could give experience to those who arent born film gods. I also think its interesting to see what the people who graduated from USC, UCLA and NYU film school go on to do.

You know all those shitty Hollywood movies released every year that you never look at twice? Yeah, those.

The Silver Bullet

For every self taught filmmaking dynamo there are thousands of self taught filmmaking disasters. People hear about Paul Thomas Anderson, or Quentin Tarantino, or Kevin Smith, and say, "Well, they did it." The fact of the matter is that those guys are but three people, you know? The thing that people have to realise is that, while you may always hear about the self taught filmmakers that made good, you never hear about the thousands that never get anywhere. My point is that in saying, "Film school is for chumps" you'd better hope you're as good as the select few uneducated filmmakers that make it. And remember; the chances are, you're not.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

mindfuck

Quote from: The Silver BulletMy point is that in saying, "Film school is for chumps" you'd better hope you're as good as the select few uneducated filmmakers that make it. And remember; the chances are, you're not.

Well put. Couldn't say it any better myself.

finlayr

"Chances are..I'm not a great filmmaker?"

Says who?  Why?
Filmmaker

finlayr

The great Gaspar Noe (I Stand Alone & Irreversible) is one of the greatest filmmakers (and a great artist) out there.  He's not as a popular as Tarantino and PTA --so what?  IF NOBODY know you--it doesn't matter.  One you're making movies and showing them to people--that's all that matters.
Filmmaker

BrainSushi

Quote from: finlayrThe great Gaspar Noe (I Stand Alone & Irreversible) is one of the greatest filmmakers (and a great artist) out there.  He's not as a popular as Tarantino and PTA --so what?  IF NOBODY know you--it doesn't matter.  One you're making movies and showing them to people--that's all that matters.

I agree there. I don't plan on going to film school, and if I don't make $37 million dollar movie with Tom Cruise, or get nominated for an Oscar, who gives a flying fuck? I just wanna make a movie, and I just wanna show it to some people.

mindfuck

Quote from: BrainSushi
I agree there. I don't plan on going to film school, and if I don't make $37 million dollar movie with Tom Cruise, or get nominated for an Oscar, who gives a flying fuck? I just wanna make a movie, and I just wanna show it to some people.

This is all well and good, but do you plan on trying to support yourself with your filmmaking? It's one thing to just want to make a film in your spare time, but if you plan on making a living doing it, you need to be able to keep steady work. This is where film school comes in for a lot of people. It's much easier to get work when you have a degree, and many people would like to work towards that great movie idea of theirs rather than trying to fit it in while working at an unrelated "real job". Just a thought.

finlayr

It was a stupid to start talking about anyway. Film School's good for some--not for others.
Filmmaker

BrainSushi

Quote from: BrainSushi
Quote from: finlayrThe great Gaspar Noe (I Stand Alone & Irreversible) is one of the greatest filmmakers (and a great artist) out there.  He's not as a popular as Tarantino and PTA --so what?  IF NOBODY know you--it doesn't matter.  One you're making movies and showing them to people--that's all that matters.

Touche. Oh well, I'm only fifteen, so I still have some time to decide on this matter. Still, at the time being, film school is quite unappealing to me.

finlayr

BrainSushi, it's a good thing you don't have sushi for brains.  I'm only 3 years older than you and I might consider doing a Film Production course some time down the road--I suppose for the same reasons you or anyone else would.  I know someone who knows someone who is going to study Film at DCU, it's costs thousands and is for four years.  She doesn't even know who Tarantino is.  It's disgusting.  At least these people don't want to be filmmakers--because they wouldn't know how to make a film..  Learn on your own and get close to the system.
Filmmaker

ReelHotGames

Quote from: finlayrIt was a stupid to start talking about anyway. Film School's good for some--not for others.

Film school can't hurt anyone. You get to use alot of equipment, you get to learn to work with others, and you get some sense knocked into you if your lucky.

Film school won't make you an artist, but it can teach you technical stuff you won't know from osmosis. If you can go, then GO! Don't even think about it, plus it sets up a network of friends.

My college chums range from an actor who is on Showtime's Soul Food, the gusy who produce Amanda Hades (an online web series at www.amandahades.com), an exec over at LivePlanet (Damon & Affleck's) and more...

All of whom are little "ins" in the industry. I am writing a pilot for the actor on Soul Food as we speak.

So film school is more than just becoming a "filmmaker". You can do that by picking up a video camera.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm