Movies you're ashamed to admit you haven't seen yet

Started by BonBon85, January 22, 2003, 05:05:52 PM

RegularKarate

Quote from: cbrad4dI think we are all nerds.

Speak for yourself, Dork.

Cecil

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: cbrad4dI think we are all nerds.

Speak for yourself, Dork.

isnt rk married? can nerds get married?

RegularKarate

Quote from: cecil b. demented

isnt rk married? can nerds get married?

Yes, well... normally nerds can only marry other nerds, but as a nerd, I'm above the law and married outside my social class.

polkablues

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: Duck SauceHow could you let yourself watch just the last half of a movie? Much less EWS?

I'm just gonna guess here, but I think that was just signature dry polka humor.

Actually, not quite.  When I was going to Eastern Washington University, they had a channel in the dorms that showed movies, and on no less than three occasions I turned it on right smack in the middle of "Eyes Wide Shut".

It's kind of like "Jaws", which I've seen all the way through once, and the last fifteen minutes on TBS about eight times.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Film Student

Rashomon, After Hours, Bonnie and Clyde, everything by Truffaut and Godard, Everything by John Ford and John Huston, About half of Wilder's work (Double Indemnity, Sunset Boulevard, The Lost Weekend, Some Like it Hot), Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing, and a shitload of other shit.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Ghostboy

Godfather I & III
JFK
Ummm....I've seen an awful lot of the classics, but there are still others that I need to see. Oh, and I'd like to call myself a Kubrick nut, but I still haven't managed to watch Barry Lyndon, even though I've owned it for three years. That seems to be the case with a lot of people.

On my list of my ten favorite movies, I usually put Do The Right Thing down twice. But make sure if you get it that you watch the Criterion disc; it's a gorgeous transfer.

Teen Wolf

... horror films in general and most of Francis Ford Coppola's stuff.

RegularKarate

UPDATE:

I watched Do the Right Thing fiinally.

Yes, it was very good.

Cecil

Quote from: RegularKarateUPDATE:

I watched Do the Right Thing fiinally.

Yes, it was very good.

hey me too!

SHAFTR

I have to write a paper on Do the Right Thing for my film class. I've only seen parts of it. I am currently trying to find the Criterion to buy.

I'm thinking of using DVDPlanet.com..anyone use it before?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

©brad

Derek

lawrence of arabia
barry lyndon
english patient
magnolia
....and the list goes on.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Bud_Clay

For me:
*The Elephant Man
*Ikiru
*Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas
*Metropolis
*Solaris (both versions)
*Vertigo
*Casablanca
*Raise The Red Lantern
*The Kid
*The Circus

& let me just say I'm happy to announce I've finally put the shame of being a "Singin' In The Rain" virgin to rest today.

I also haven't seen "Do The Right Thing" or "Gone With The Wind", however I'm not at all ashamed of not having seen those. I don't like Spike Lee. He seems like he's a bit of a racist. (If anyone of you ever saw "Lumiere & Company" I think you'll know what I'm talking about.) Besides that I've heard that Do The Right Thing was simply terrible. I can't say I'm surprised considering the title and all.

Bud_Clay

Quote from: SHAFTRI have to write a paper on Do the Right Thing for my film class. I've only seen parts of it. I am currently trying to find the Criterion to buy.

I'm thinking of using DVDPlanet.com..anyone use it before?

oh absolutely..it's wonderful....especially for those $35 criterions. They're more like $25 at dvdplanet. However one thing you should always do when using dvdplanet is always check the prices listed before putting them in your cart by writing them down and calculating the total of shipping and dvds yourself. I would have been charged $4 extra if I had not noticed that they upped the dvds a few dollars. Also, for some reason, they added one more dvd than there was to the shipping amount. Keep your eye on that stuff. They are nice and quick to fix it if you complain however.

life_boy

I like Spike Lee and really enjoy Do the Right Thing.  I think he has a real grasp on creating well-rounded, realistic characters.  He often deals with very complex themes that aren't by any means the black-and-white portrayals seen in some films.  

I think he does jump on the racist boat some times.  His movies won't be the beloved classics that win Academy Awards and make hundreds of millions of dollars at the box-office because he's not that kind of director.  He makes realistic movies that are often gritty and sometimes depressing and that usually offer more questions than answers.  The fact that his movies don't win the awards some of them deserves does not by nature make the awards givers racist (even if some of them are).  Some times he can go a little too far in some of his assertions but this does not lessen him as a filmmaker, only as a public figure.