What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

socketlevel

Quote from: Neil on July 19, 2009, 02:58:26 PM

found this for 70 cents at the Goodwill. What in the actual fuck?

time to purge the thetans.  xenu is mad at you!

i just finished "Cockpit" by Jerzy kosinski.  recommend it, kinda a clusterfuck of anecdotes from an american spy.  fiction of course.  it's a descent into a strangely OCD'd sociopath's head.  same guy wrote "being there"

check it out

the one last hit that spent you...

squints

Thanks for the recommendation stefen!

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Neil

Quote from: socketlevel on August 07, 2009, 12:14:10 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 19, 2009, 02:58:26 PM

found this for 70 cents at the Goodwill. What in the actual fuck?

time to purge the thetans.  xenu is mad at you!

i just finished "Cockpit" by Jerzy kosinski.  recommend it, kinda a clusterfuck of anecdotes from an american spy.  fiction of course.  it's a descent into a strangely OCD'd sociopath's head.  same guy wrote "being there"

check it out

Just finished this. thanks for the recommendation! I picked up steps too, hopefully i'll get to that soon

A beautiful saturday, with the day off, and i'm going to be shooting some of the sequences from

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Stefen

Quote from: squints on August 08, 2009, 04:37:56 PM
Thanks for the recommendation stefen!

Yeah, how fucking awesome is that shit?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Kal

SiliasRuby

If you can't see this, its 'Helter Skelter The True Story of the Manson Murders'
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Curious if she can write more than just vampires:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Supernatural violent western about a lone mercenary who is proficient at using almost any tangible object as a lethal weapon.  They do not make comics like this anymore.  Even when they try to remake them.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Neil

Quote from: Walrus on September 01, 2009, 03:32:32 PM

Supernatural violent western about a lone mercenary who is proficient at using almost any tangible object as a lethal weapon.  They do not make comics like this anymore.  Even when they try to remake them.

any familiar writers?
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'll get back to you on that, I've been on a big pulp western kick lately, but at this point it's hard to say.

I can however vouch especially for this constant classic that I reread religiously:

Swamp Thing: Love and Death

It's a great collection of Swamp Thing tales written by Alan Moore, who needs no introduction and one of DC's best, or at least my favorite, artists Steve Bisette.

Basically, Swamp Thing at its most poetic form, with art that just gushes with life like a wetland itself.  What's worth noting about this power team collaboration is that this Swamp Thing was DC's first series to be sold to comic shops directly and not newsstands so it could be printed without being approved by the comics code authority.  It is definitely much more matured than Swamp Thing has ever been, and never pushes the barrier into ridiculous supernatural elements that can alienate the viewer from relating to the scope and authenticity of emotion that a man made of moss is capable of having, especially for a human.

I really hope I'm not the only comic book nerd here.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

SiliasRuby

I love comic books I just hate most comic book movies.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

squints

Quote from: Walrus on September 01, 2009, 09:21:39 PM
I really hope I'm not the only comic book nerd here.

Trust me brother, you're not.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Normally a fan of Found magazine, I'm surprised I never noticed one of their additional publications Dirty Found.  Pricier than the average Found, so I can't see myself dipping into Dirty as much, but I just had to get an issue. It's basically Found, but all the notes, polaroids, sketches, etc. are sexual, and they run the fair gamut from straight laced nude male or female to cross-dressers to peeing to use your imagination.

Needless to say, I am far from disappointed.