What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Lucid on July 18, 2006, 11:44:18 PM
I'm starting this soon:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I've always been on the look out for a good historical book on the French New Wave. The description on Amazon makes it sound very enjoyable to read. I'm considering this already purchased with my next paycheck. I'll order it tomorrow.

children with angels

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on July 19, 2006, 02:07:36 AM
I'm starting this soon:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I've always been on the look out for a good historical book on the French New Wave. The description on Amazon makes it sound very enjoyable to read. I'm considering this already purchased with my next paycheck. I'll order it tomorrow.

It's really good! The best overview I've read of it really. Richard Neupert's a good, down-to-earth-type film critic/theorist. He's also written what is surprsingly the only film studies book ever to be soley about endings ('The End: Narration and Closure in the Cinema') - it formed the theorectical backbone of my undergraduate dissertation, which was all about the happy ending.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Derek237

polkablues

Really interesting idea, but really not as good as it should be, coming from Alan Moore.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

The EW excerpt piqued my interest:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

When will my philosophy class EVER be over????

and

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

The Perineum Falcon

So, Heaven was a total snoozefest of astrology and long-dead people I'd rather remain ignorant of than read any more, so I quit The Divine Comedy. Seriously, Hell was SOOOOO much more enjoyable. :roll:
A week or so ago I picked up 1984 on appeal of my girlfriend. Now that that's through, I've started on with:
(must be actual size)
while waiting for:
(I hear it's bigger in person).
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

matt35mm

I've been binge reading.  In the past 2 weeks...

(this is actually a book for pre-teens, but it was lying around so I just read it)

This is what I'm currently reading.

polkablues

Quote from: matt35mm on August 02, 2006, 05:27:55 PM

How is it so far?  That sounds really interesting to me.
My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

Quote from: polkablues on August 02, 2006, 06:45:18 PM
Quote from: matt35mm on August 02, 2006, 05:27:55 PM

How is it so far?  That sounds really interesting to me.
Quite good.  It's the sort of book that, if it sounds interesting to you, it will be interesting to you.  It's not fluff, but it's easy to absorb.  It's written by a psychologist, with how genetics affects human behavior and thought as the focus.  There are surprisingly few books that are specifically about that (usually genetics and psychology don't acknowledge each other).  It's under 200 pages, you could read it in a few days, so it's definitely worth the read.

grand theft sparrow

Finishing up:

Torn between taking this:

or this:

on vacation with me next week.  Any suggestions?

matt35mm

Just finished:

Classical music is something that's always been in the fringes of my life (my dad is big into it and has a great collection), but I didn't really ever get into.  This book helps a lot, and I've been listening to a lot of classical music recently.  I've always been interested in classical structure, actually, and knowing that chamber music had a huge influence over Ingmar Bergman's films (thus his sonata approach to character interactions), it was just time that I took a serious listen.  Listening is the most important thing, but like I said, the book helps, and the guy knows his stuff.

Now I am reading this:

Very interesting so far.

MacGuffin

To see what all the brouhaha was all about:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: children with angels on July 19, 2006, 02:53:57 AM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on July 19, 2006, 02:07:36 AM
I'm starting this soon:

It's really good! The best overview I've read of it really. Richard Neupert's a good, down-to-earth-type film critic/theorist. He's also written what is surprsingly the only film studies book ever to be soley about endings ('The End: Narration and Closure in the Cinema') - it formed the theorectical backbone of my undergraduate dissertation, which was all about the happy ending.

This book is pleasantly readable, but I also found it to be generally awful.

1.) The book is not a history of the French New Wave. It is an overview of motifs and major directors of the French New Wave.

2.) The book gives analysis of each filmmaker with a small bio plus a film by film analysis. The analysis spends too much time on plot digression and gives criticism that hardly goes beyond general points. Like too many professors of film, Neupert is too in awe of many of the French Wave directors that things he should argue instead become bad rationalizations. Those who care about film should see it as an amateur art still hundreds of years behind the major arts.

3.) The book ignores major identities of the French New Wave. The book gives lip service to the auteur theory that was started in the 1950s. I found that shocking. Of any theory after 1940 to sustain itself, the largest and most successful was by far the auteur theory. The filmmakers of the French New Wave popularized ideas that served as its origins. The theory went to gain importance in the film business and gain evolution in the sad business of university study. I think the major reason for the oversight is that the author knew the original ideas of the auteur theory were ridiculous, amateur and just plain awful. The book chooses to ignore that subject and others and loses credibility that makes it a complete analysis to the highs and lows of the French New Wave.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: hackspaced on August 03, 2006, 08:27:51 AM
Torn between taking this:

or this:

on vacation with me next week.

Took them both, finished them both, and now: