What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

Ghostboy

Just finished:

Currently reading:

About to start:

Pubrick

can we get more theme/tones for these books like godardian did with marilynne robinson? as this is my primary source for book recommendations, i find it helps distinguish one intriguing cover/title from the next, and might make my sporadic library searches a little less random.
under the paving stones.

JG

godardian

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Gold Trumpet

These type of books are fascinating. Economics has never been the easiest category for me, but this is another theory book that tries to understand the economic world today from a left field idea. Shockingly, this author is very realistic for where he stands. He is well versed in the history of economics and is able to probe deeply into ideas and surprise me with the way he can overthrow past assertions with an easy confidence. Don't take this book as definitive, but it is a good book in the side bar category of looking at the world from an interesting angle.

The best part about reading this book is how philosophical he can be. Many of his ideas are have already been accepted but his final conclusions havent been. He tries go to after the tone of "how we are successful now" and "what the world should be like". Like any philosophy book though, it can get repetitive. He repeats simple ideas all the time but the creativity of his arguments make this worth reading. For my direct interest, the place of economics has been on the constraints to the output of good art. The way this book details how creative all outlets of business will need to be gave me a feeling of optimisim even if the situation is indirect to my interest.

Also don't take this review as definitive: I'm still reading it. I'm also not announcing the greatest book ever. I just figure posting here and saying why can get me more used to wanting to post here.

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

hedwig

godardian

Quote from: Hedwig on June 17, 2006, 10:43:33 AM
I just read that a couple of months ago! Great pick. You'll be riveted, I guarantee.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

A Matter Of Chance

godardian

Quote from: A Matter Of Chance on June 27, 2006, 06:03:54 PM

Oh....! Oh! Oh!

Congratulations. This is a formative text in my life, and I imagine it will have at least something to offer any reader.... My favorites: "One Culture and the New Sensibility," "The Imagination of Disaster," the ubiquitously anthologized (and rightly so) "Notes on 'Camp,'" and "Godard's Vivre sa Vie" (this book was the first I ever heard of Godard...ever. That's just one thing I have to thank Sontag for). If you like it, you have to try Styles of Radical Will. It's even better.

My reading at the moment:

Ghostboy

Against Interpretation also changed my life, and I have Godardian to thank for first calling her name to my attention. Styles Of Radical Will has a terrific Bergman essay, also.

godardian

Quote from: Ghostboy on June 28, 2006, 12:00:42 AM
Against Interpretation also changed my life, and I have Godardian to thank for first calling her name to my attention. Styles Of Radical Will has a terrific Bergman essay, also.

:oops:   ....I'm just the messenger, but I'm so happy you read and enjoyed her stuff.  :yabbse-smiley:

The Perineum Falcon

Just read:

Am reading:

Will read:

(Wow, those images are probably entirely too big)
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

pete

I just bought a Hayao Miyazaki book titled "The Starting Point" in a bookstore here in Taiwan.  It contains all some 90-odd articles, manuscripts, sketches, interviews, essays, and journal entries, from Hayao Miyazaki.  That is one intelligent man with a lot to say about everything.  I especially love his view on the creative process and childhood.  He thinks it's a sin to consider the childhood an investment for the future.  He thinks five minutes in a child's life is more vital than 10 years of his adult life.  He also hates the idea of "family time" being a date between a kid and his parent.  He thinks the parent should simply bring the kid and a few buddies along for some trip.  Leave the kids be, and pay for everything.  He thinks children are born with two innate abilities--the ability to create things with their hands and the imagination that allows them to entertain themselves with the most mundane household items; anyone who rids a child of either deserves prison.  His contempt for wealth is so incredibly healthy and fun.  a few quotes:
"some people think the folks who make money are the smart ones.  I'll be happy if there are fewer of these people around.  These days they are always panicking, and they probably will be the same in the future.  they panic but they're out of ideas, and I just pray that they leave me alone."
"the economic boom is an era where idiots get to flourish, but frankly, all they are doing is advertising their own stupiditiy."

I love angry romantics.  they make the best films.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton