The 80th Annual Academy Awards

Started by MacGuffin, September 12, 2007, 12:07:15 AM

MacGuffin

Quote from: Cinephile on February 25, 2008, 11:17:35 AM
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 25, 2008, 11:12:39 AM
At the same time, I'm trying not to hate Diablo Cody just because she beat PTA.

how did she beat him?

Yeah, she won for Original. PTA was in the Adapted. Hate the Coens.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

She beat him at a popularity contest, not at a competition of who can write better words on a fucking computer screen. PTA leaves her in the dust in that game. Just totally annihilates her.

If PTA had a pair of breasts, a story about how he stripped for a day, and a long drawn out battle with caffeine addiction then the awards would be cancelled anytime he had a movie come out because they'd just give them all to him. And he'd deserve it because he's good and creative and has legit ideas that he can put to screen.

Also, Sydney was funnier than Juno.

Spontaneous friction >> Hamburger phones.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Jeremy Blackman

Stefen is right in a sense, but I did mean it literally. Woops. I need to think before I post. :doh:

Quote from: MacGuffin on February 25, 2008, 11:19:10 AMHate the Coens.

That's the problem. I can't. This whole competition thing just doesn't make sense.

©brad

Quote from: Stefen on February 25, 2008, 11:02:11 AMShe's not a writer. She's just a story.

yep. call it the jennifer hudson "this makes the best story" award.

Pozer

Academy Screws Renfro, In Memoriam
Posted Feb 25th 2008 1:34PM by TMZ Staff

So in case you missed it, Brad Renfro was ignored during the "in memoriam" montage on the Oscars last night. You're not gonna believe the statement the Academy gave TMZ.

The tape featured 98 movie types who died in the last year. They included actors, studio execs, makeup artists, agents, and on and on. Renfro was nowhere to be seen. We asked the Academy why and they gave us the following statement: "It is simply not possible to include everyone in that segment."

Interesting. Renfro, whose credits include "The Client," "Apt Pupil" and "Sleepers," seems like a bigger player than Margaret Gardner, the head of the international division of a P.R. firm.

Someone in Renfro's world called the slap in the face "unbelievable and disgusting." We couldn't have said it better ourselves.

Stefen

It really was a huge omission. I fail to see whether it was intentional or not.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

I will never fully understand all the Juno backlash that's going on. Granted, I think the Oscar was a bit much, but it's a movie that I genuinely like and admire, completely irrespective of whatever extratextual bullshit people keep bringing into it about the fucking screenwriter. I don't give a shit what Diablo Cody blogged about, or how long she was a stripper, or what her real fucking name is, I just like the damn movie she wrote!
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

Hey, it is what it is. If Napoleon Dynamite was written by someone who's claim to fame was being a stripper for a day (and it wasn't even a full shift. She just served drinks for a couple hours) then I'm sure it would have been nominated for major awards too.

The movie had it's moments, but it was ultimately forgettable. Type of movie where you watch half and spend the rest of the movie trying to talk your date into giving you a handjob. It was so manipulative it made me sick. It was instant chocolate pudding with strawberries added. It tastes good but compared to a four star dessert it's junk.

cine

yeah and lets be honest here.. DDL winning again was a great story and thats about it. his performance wasn't that great or anything.

Jeremy Blackman

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: polkablues on February 25, 2008, 03:12:31 PM
I will never fully understand all the Juno backlash that's going on. Granted, I think the Oscar was a bit much, but it's a movie that I genuinely like and admire, completely irrespective of whatever extratextual bullshit people keep bringing into it about the fucking screenwriter. I don't give a shit what Diablo Cody blogged about, or how long she was a stripper, or what her real fucking name is, I just like the damn movie she wrote!

People are actually giving good reasons to why they don't like it. The reviews in the original thread are thoughtful and detailed. The discussion about Diablo Cody's personal life is a side issue. I had a personal reaction to Juno when I saw it, but I fleshed out my thoughts with a second review. Even when I do consider all the pros and cons of the film it still isn't very good.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 25, 2008, 11:27:49 AM
Stefen is right in a sense, but I did mean it literally. Woops. I need to think before I post. :doh:
Well, she did beat him to an Oscar.

Diablo Cody - 1
PTA - 0

And that's the travesty.

cine

Quote from: Chest Rockwell on February 25, 2008, 06:06:41 PM
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 25, 2008, 11:27:49 AM
Stefen is right in a sense, but I did mean it literally. Woops. I need to think before I post. :doh:
Well, she did beat him to an Oscar.

Diablo Cody - 1
PTA - 0

And that's the travesty.

it is? really? PTA will be the next altman or scorsese in the eyes of the academy.. so its a travesty somebody gets a one-time oscar when she had her big 15 minutes? .... really? travesty?   i really don't think so.

MacGuffin

Cody deserves her Oscar more than Matt and Ben do.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on February 25, 2008, 04:20:12 PM
Quote from: polkablues on February 25, 2008, 03:12:31 PM

People are actually giving good reasons to why they don't like it. The reviews in the original thread are thoughtful and detailed. The discussion about Diablo Cody's personal life is a side issue. I had a personal reaction to Juno when I saw it, but I fleshed out my thoughts with a second review. Even when I do consider all the pros and cons of the film it still isn't very good.

There are some very substantive and well-reasoned arguments against Juno's quality, and I actually agree with many of them, despite my personal like of the film.  My problem is that the vast majority of the criticism I keep seeing falls into only two categories: "The dialogue is unrealistic" and "Diablo Cody is a pretentious hipster".  The former is certainly true, though it's akin to slamming a musical just because someone thinks it's unrealistic that the characters keep breaking into song.  The latter, however, is possibly true but entirely irrelevant.  It just bugs me that for every genuine critique of the movie, there's a dozen ad hominem attacks on Diablo Cody drowning it out.
My house, my rules, my coffee