Best use of 3+ hours of film (other than Magnolia)?

Started by ShanghaiOrange, December 17, 2003, 03:12:41 PM

mogwai

Quote from: Sigur RósYou are not serious though, are you?
i'm deadly serious.

rustinglass

I like ben-hur
I think I'll be watching it some time soon.
I like to watch it around christmas
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Sigur Rós

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: Sigur RósYou are not serious though, are you?
i'm deadly serious.

Ben Hur is possibly the worst movie ever made. Only good thing about is Charlton Heston's sweety slave ass.

mogwai

Quote from: Sigur RósBen Hur is possibly the worst movie ever made. Only good thing about is Charlton Heston's sweety slave ass.
and why is ben-hur the worst movie ever made? i mean, if you can get through the melodrama a lá the 50's it's a pretty good movie. it's really long but it's filled with a lot of amazing scenes. for an example, how can you forget this climatic scene?

there's also the scenes like judah meets jesus, the battle scenes, the white horses, the last scene where jesus is crucified etc. it won 11 oscars and at the time that was pretty spectacular. titanic won 11 oscars and it's awful. the english patient won 9 oscars which baffles me. let's face it, really long movies made in the 50's/60's are the best.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: mogwailet's face it, really long movies made in the 50's/60's are the best.

Now mogwai is starting to show us his real person.  :twisted:

Pubrick

Quote from: Sigur RósNow mogwai is starting to show us his real person.  :twisted:
he's 64 years old!

under the paving stones.

Sigur Rós

Pedro

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangePedro the Wombat, you glorious bastard with a Sonic Youth lyric in his sig. That's beautiful, man. :(
You're beautiful, man.   :(

Alexandro

Quote from: ShanghaiOrange
Quote from: Alexandro
Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeEl Padre De Dios

In spanish you say "EL PADRINO"

I'm talking about the Mexican movie "The Father of God," a surrealist sci-fi masterpiece, but little seen in America.

Oh shit!!, I'm mexican and don't know about that one,....

year? director? actors?

or was this a joke?

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Gamblour.

No to Barry Lyndon and Solyaris and Redux.\

Yes to Birth of a Nation, Cinema Paradiso director's cut (close enough).
WWPTAD?

RegularKarate

Quote from: Gamblor du JourNo to Barry Lyndon

I think you mean "yes"

unless you didn't really watch it...

you do have eyes right?

Gamblour.

Quote from: RegularKarate

I think you mean "yes"

you do have eyes right?

No I don't, thank god for this Braille monitor.

In that Von Trier and PTA bb interview, Lars said that Nicole Kidman said that Kubrick thought Lyndon was too long. I think that's justification enough, but still, I didn't say that film wasn't a looker, it's just boring. I will give you this, I haven't seen it in a long time.
WWPTAD?

Thecowgoooesmooo

The LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST

If its not over 3+ hours, it sure as hell felt like it.

chris

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Gamblor du Jour
Quote from: RegularKarate

I think you mean "yes"

you do have eyes right?

No I don't, thank god for this Braille monitor.

In that Von Trier and PTA bb interview, Lars said that Nicole Kidman said that Kubrick thought Lyndon was too long. I think that's justification enough, but still, I didn't say that film wasn't a looker, it's just boring. I will give you this, I haven't seen it in a long time.

I'm getting annoyed by the continuing use of "Author says so.." to try to end discussions. It should be understood what the author says is just another opinion. Is Kubrick the most unbias source for an opinion? Hardly. I gurantee if Barry Lyndon was the success he promised it would be to WB executives, he would praise it afterwards. Kubrick was highly confident while making the film and had all the time to make the film. He was just dissapointed by its dismal business and that he had to do this film in place of his Napolean project.