Matty Rich

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, July 18, 2003, 07:24:12 AM

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

shouldnt we have a post about this great great man, who brought hollywood to his knees then preceded to spend all his wealth on gold teeth and crack

chainsmoking insomniac

He sounds darkly intriguing. Who is he?
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Ghostboy

The guy who directed Straight Out Of Brooklyn (when he was seventeen, so I guess he deserves mention in the youngest director thread too). I always wondered what happened to him. What's the story, exactly?

MacGuffin

I remember when Spike Lee blasted him:

NM
In the late eighties and early nineties, there was a lot of talk about the renaissance of a black film movement. Perhaps you remember this [article]. (New York Times Magazine, July 14, 1991, "They've Gotta Have Us: Hollywood's Black Directors". The cover features a group portrait of Spike with fellow filmmakers, the Hudlin brothers, Ernest Dickerson, Mario Van Peebles, John Singleton, Charles Lane, and Matty Rich.) Now that we are at not only at the close of the decade, but at the close of the century, where did that movement go and where is it headed now?

SL
Well, as far as the movement, it's the same thing that happened with the black exploitation era. [John] Singleton is getting ready to direct "Son of Shaft". Ernest Dickerson, who I think is a very fine director, is doing a lot on cable. The Hudlins' last film was "The Great White Hype" as well as executive producing Millecent Shelton's film "Ride". Matty Rich, forget about it. Matty Poor.

NM
Tell us how you really feel.

SL
Mario [Van Peebles] is really more into acting now. With Charles Lane, I liked "Sidewalk Stories".  The trick has always been to build a body of work. We've been very fortunate to make twelve films in the last thirteen years. That's what matters, the work. You know Matty Rich came out talking all that shit. He made ...what was the first one?

NM
"Straight Outta Brooklyn"

SL
That film was him. That was his story, but you can only do that one time. What was the other one?

NM
"The Inkwell"

SL
Whew. It's unfortunate because when he came out he got bad advice. He was like "I've never read a film book, I don't go to movies, I don't know how to use a camera, I'm from the streets!" And eventually that was reflected in his filmmaking. He knew nothing about film. He was ignorant to film grammar. That type of thinking, not just Matty Rich, but where black people equated being being down, being real, and being black with just being stupid [explative], you know that shit has got to stop. Where if you're intelligent, and you speak well, and you go to school, then you're considered [trying to be] white. [Matty Rich] used to say "Spike Lee, he went to college. He went to college. I'm from the streets!" That's just some ignorant shit, man. We've got to stop that stuff. It's ignorant.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

That's fucking awesome. That's a great quote from Spike. So agree.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

My sentiments, too.  Spike, when he's thinking straight, can actually be very insightful.  Just rented 25th Hour for this weekend incidentally.  Can't wait to see it.

Ravi

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesshouldnt we have a post about this great great man, who brought hollywood to his knees then preceded to spend all his wealth on gold teeth and crack

You got a problem with crack?

I'm intrigued.  I want to see "Straight Outta Brooklyn."

the guy cracks me up, he is in my weirdo hall of fame, i have a list of people who i adore for odd reasons and well he is quite the nut

as a kid i saw him on arsinio hall after straight out of broklyn came out and he had his teeeth all turned to gold and well doesnt that just sum it up all so well

another funny thing is after straight out of broklyn came out all the liberal p.c hollywood freaks were sucking his dick even johnathin demme who i dig jumped on his bandwagon

but it took spike lee to say " chill the fuck out people he may be black but that doesnt mean we have to like him"

i would love LOVEEEEEEEEEE To watch a documentry on the making of his second film the inkwell, which was a hollywood project

that had to be a fucking catastrophie him behind the lense of a big hollywood film

mutinyco

I remember Matty Rich. I remember the commercials for The Inkwell, cause they made fun of courderoys. Yep, he fell off the face of the planet. He thought once he made it, it was gonna be a big family with him, Spike, Singleton, etc. Spike blackballed him. That was it for him. If he had talent he might've had a chance. Novelties wear off.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Quote from: mutinycoI remember Matty Rich. I remember the commercials for The Inkwell, cause they made fun of courderoys. Yep, he fell off the face of the planet. He thought once he made it, it was gonna be a big family with him, Spike, Singleton, etc. Spike blackballed him. That was it for him. If he had talent he might've had a chance. Novelties wear off.

i wonder hwere he is right now and did he have to sell all those gold teeth he showed so proudlly

i nnow this is gonna sound like a ego maniac but this is some funny shit

we at xixax should try and find this guy and get a interview with him, with me asking the questions

this could blow away my diner with andre , fuck that film

" loungin wit Matty"

now thats a film, maybe i should just make this a movie instead of a interview, like a documentry

" I don't know how to use a camera"- matty rich

that could be one of the best film quotes ever given to a journalist during a interview

SoNowThen

I will personally come and film that, if somebody puts me up in LA for the duration of the interview.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Quote from: SoNowThenI will personally come and film that, if somebody puts me up in LA for the duration of the interview.

i dont think he lives in LA, But you would be my man if i were to pursue this and im thinking im should, he use to live in broklynn, in a rough area , we better be cautious  :: calls up his close personal friend 50 cent and asks him to let him borrow two bullet proof vests::

Ravi

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalones" I don’t know how to use a camera"- matty rich

that could be one of the best film quotes ever given to a journalist during a interview

You sure Kevin Smith didn't also say that? :wink: