Darren Aronofsky

Started by MacGuffin, May 22, 2003, 03:15:25 AM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Nolan is still a great director, but I'd love to see Batman with an Aronofsky touch.

Maybe a Batman with a Spike Lee touch.   :roll:
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Xixax

Aronofsky's style would have rocked a Batman film. No doubt. He's one of my top five favorites.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

bonanzataz

Quote from: Pastor ParsleyAronofsky's good but I wouldn't consider him great.  He definitely shows a lot of promise and I'm hoping he will really grow as his experience increases.  I loved both Pi and Requiem (own them both), but neither really holds up well to repeated viewings.  

Requiem is very powerful but after viewing a few times it begins to fall apart at the seams.  It's obvious to me that there were serious story or editing problems that had to be bandaged in post production.  The disorienting style covers up many of them nicely but, when viewed enough that the shock value wears off, the seams begin to show.

Has anyone seen his earlier films Supermarket Sweep or Protozoa?  What are they about?

what story problems are there? if you don't mind sharing.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

on the daily show....

Guy Pearce: "Chris Nolan seems to think I'd make a good Batman."
Jon Stewart: "When did you turn that down?"
Guy Pearce: "I haven't yet".
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

I saw that interview and I didn't hear that part
I like to hug dogs

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pastor Parsley

Quote from: bonanzatazwhat story problems are there? if you don't mind sharing.

Well, it seems to me, that the film is about people trying desperately to fulfill their dreams.  The main problem I see is what exactly their dreams were, are dropped from the film quite abruptly......then they added reminders later.  Since their dreams are related to the central theme, it would be useful if we clearly understood them....'what's their story?'

What happened to the clothing design shop?  That's the the couples big dream....it's mentioned twice and then dropped completely.  It seemed like they added the photo montage of them in the shop just to fill this forgotten gap.  The same thing with Wayans character.  It seems like they realized, we knew little to nothing about him....hardly any character development...and so they added footage later with him as a boy with his mother, once when he was playing with 'his new mirrors', and again at the end.  All of these seem inserted, and maybe even shot after filming ended, to tie up the loose ends.  Maybe they planned it this way but it seems like a fix to me.

We are supposed to feel for these characters loosing their dreams, but their dreams are mentioned haphazardly and only a few times.  

That said, I know I'm a film snob and most of the time I'm full of crap.

p.s. has anyone noticed the yellow color fades added to frame up the sequences in the begining (as they push the t.v.) they have such a great effect on the composition.

Derek

Requiem's score is killer, though knocked out at first, I agree with the Pastor on this one. It doesn't hold up well to repeat viewings. But, I love the movie's dark, fading-daylight in a rotting city atmosphere that drips off the screen. It would have fared better with less hip-hop montage, I think.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Pastor Parsley

Quote from: DerekI love the movie's dark, fading-daylight in a rotting city atmosphere that drips off the screen.

I agree, it's beautiful.

modage

i've only seen it twice so i wouldnt know.  opening night in the theatre, and at midnite when the dvd was released.  it held up for those 2 viewings.

Pastor Parsley

Has anyone seen Supermarket Sweep or Protozoa?

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Pastor ParsleyHas anyone seen Supermarket Sweep or Protozoa?

Harvard has a copy

NEON MERCURY

i think it holds up quite well for many repeated viewings( ON A TECHNICAL/VISUAL LEVEL)  it all depends really on how much you like this film........i loved this film and Aronofsky's style so damn energetic and frantic.  i never get tired of watching this or pi it is a really neat/cool film to view over and over.........

Parsley-i see your point- but........imo it(character development) was executied nicely for the style of the film being presented the way it was-FAST PACED and he didnot need to delve as much as one would need/think to into character development for the vibe/feel of this film. He knocks you off your feet and you can't get up until the end.........POWERFUL STUFF.

aclockworkjj

10:32......press return:

NEON MERCURY

DOES ANYONE(i.e. MacGuffin) HAVE A CLUE ABOUT HIS NEXT FILM?