Rules of Attraction

Started by life_boy, February 22, 2003, 04:49:47 AM

Dekadetia

Quote from: RaikusIn fact, I kind of felt like handing out phone coard to all of them.

I have to say the only scene I really enjoyed was Van Der Beek repeatedly failing to kill himself (not sure if it was simply funny in its own right or the fact that it was Van Der Beek heightened the hilarity). The music playing in this scene was some kind of "Monster Mash"-type thing that I think was by tomandandy (who i think should do more film scoring on the strength of this picture and their bits from Natural Born Killers). The track was as hilariously inappropriate for a suicide scene as "Without You" was eerily appropriate for the other. Anyone know the title? I don't think it's on the soundtrack but I could be wrong.

Cecil

the song youre referring to is called "boogyman bash" by tomandandy. originaly, avary intented to have "monster mash" play with the scene, but couldnt afford it so had tomandandy write a similar tune. unfortunately its not on the soundtrack or even available anywhere.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Dekadetiatomandandy (who i think should do more film scoring on the strength of this picture and their bits from Natural Born Killers).

tomandandy also did brilliant scores for Mothman Prophecies and Killing Zoe.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

bonanzataz

I kinda sorta liked this movie and also kinda hated it. i didn't believe that van der beek and that hot chick were even in love. had they even spoken to each other after that ultra clever split screen shot? the whole thing felt like a gimmick, like i was being toyed with. perhaps i would have liked it with a better script maybe (?). overall... eh.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Duck Sauce

I just recently saw it again, and it is far less impressive on second viewing. It didnt really have my attention and my feelings about the film have now dropped. Why is this?

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

it is kinda neat that while this film was in develepment, roger avary was the fucking man in hollywood.

he could of just become a tarantino footnote

NEON MERCURY

....finnally got around to seeing this (blind bouththis phucker on dvd)...and its good.....nothing monnumental but i ffeelits at least a "solid" film....

.i like the mtv editinng sh*t .i think it neat .....
..i liked the ...suicide scene..its well done and effetive..and the SORTA-SPOILER..scenes where it shows the girl who killed herself ..where she was during the film...
...i liked the music....
..the "Dick" resutrant scenes was the only bad thing int he film..it played like a bad skit on SNL ....or ANNNY skit on currennnt SNL....

....the "herion-flute" guy was also nnot worth wasting film for.....

...basically (with the setup of the film) one was supposed to feel "something" after viewing it when it circled back around again ..and i felt "moved" some...

its ***1/2 out of *****

i apaologize for bashing this earlier........

©brad

i revisited this movie friday afternoon and enjoyed it much more. but this was after seeing it once and reading the book.

Quote from: taz.I kinda sorta liked this movie and also kinda hated it. i didn't believe that van der beek and that hot chick were even in love. had they even spoken to each other after that ultra clever split screen shot? the whole thing felt like a gimmick, like i was being toyed with. perhaps i would have liked it with a better script maybe (?). overall... eh.

that's the main problem. in the book there is so much w/ van der beek (sean) and lauren that u don't get in the movie. also, i forgot how little was devoted to the paul character, who's part in the book may even be bigger than sean's. i think the film devoted too much time to some of the more minor characters (the drug dealer, the teacher lauren hooks up w/) cuz ur right, just by the film itself u don't really see the attraction btwn. sean and lauren.

i will say that the film is much more enjoyable after reading the book. and w/o a doubt, the most beautiful/powerful scene is the suicide sequence.

picolas

the problem with Rules of Attraction is that Sean has absolutely no redeeming qualities. you can't like him, or sympathize with him, so you can't like the movie. i think it's partly acause of Van Der Beek's performance, but mostly the writing.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: picolasthe problem with Rules of Attraction is that Sean has absolutely no redeeming qualities. you can't like him, or sympathize with him, so you can't like the movie. i think it's partly acause of Van Der Beek's performance, but mostly the writing.

I don't think sympathyzing with him is necessary. You can just sympapthize with humanity in general. Something like that... but the movie works for me.

Pedro

SHAFTR

the problem with Rules of Attraction is it wasn't a very good movie.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Gold Trumpet

My problem with it is that it tries to be something dramatically tragic with  cheap material. Pulp Fiction understood the limits of this kind of material.

picolas

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI don't think sympathyzing with him is necessary.
okay. but i think you have to at the very least like the main unit in some way, no matter how abstract or sickening, for anything to work.