A Simple Plan

Started by tpfkabi, December 10, 2005, 11:45:29 PM

tpfkabi

I saw this for the first time in a long time. I remember renting it, liking it, then getting my friends to watch it, and them getting pissed at the end. This was not the only time (Vertigo, Se7en, probably more).

Would anyone agree that this is a great overlooked film?

Very Coens-esque. I see the screenplay was written by the author of the book it was based on. Guess I'll have to look into that.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

polkablues

Very good movie.  The book was well-written, though not my cup of tea, as far as books go.  I'd just as soon just watch the movie again.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

i saw it years ago and liked it.  i would like to rewatch it at some point.  yes, very dark and coen-esque.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

I really liked it too.. I had read the book first (which is an alright book, something you read on airplane, which I did).  The book is much darker, things are even shittier all around for the characters in the book, but I thought the movie was really entertaining.  Overlooked a little, sure.

JG

really great.  sam raimi, right?  i think it may be my favorite movie of his

MacGuffin

This is one of my favorite modern suspense-noir-thrillers. I see it more Hitchcockian than Coen Bros. It's something I believe the Master of Suspense would have made had the story been around in his time. It's Thornton's best performance. I remember being so happy that he and the screenplay were both nominated for Oscars, because these two are what make the film so powerful.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

One definitely thinks Hitch with the high angle camera shots with the birds in them.
I think Coens because of the snow (Fargo) and the high body count. IMDB had a trivia bit about the Coens giving Raimi advice on how to shoot in that environment.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

picolas

i didn't like it. mostly for the acting/psychology of the characters. eg. (spoil for fifteen minutes in) the wife's reaction to all the money.

Gamblour.

i saw it but don't remember much except someone's ass getting knocked the fuck out by a magnum or something, and that the film was one of those that hit the main characters with so much shit and backfiring that you almost can't take it. I think that's why I didn't like it, but I was a lot younger then.
WWPTAD?

planet_jake

I love this movie. I have nightmares about this kind of stuff, man. Just freaks me out. I think it's interesting how Bridget Fonda plays her role, she's kind of this raven-esque demon spirit that mediates the chaos, y'know?