Human Giant

Started by squints, May 18, 2007, 03:54:29 AM

squints

does anybody else watch the best sketch comedy show on television?

http://www.thehumangiant.com/
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Pubrick

yet another reason NYC has way too much shit going on.

i've watched every preview available online, since they don't show it here. surprised no one has mentioned it before.

without having seen a full episode, i'll agree it's pretty much the funniest shit on tv right now.
under the paving stones.

modage

2 years ago when I moved to NYC, I went to the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre for a FREE Monday night show they had just started doing called Crash Test, which was hosted by unknown Aziz Ansari.  He was funny as shit, so over the past two years I've seen it a buncha times and it more frequently started to feature Paul Scheer and Rob Huebel as well.  The news that they had gotten a show on MTV, (not even MTV2, but real MTV?!) was exciting and baffling.  Some of these shorts have been around for a while and they usually tested them out on the audience at the UCB, where I first saw the Illusionators skit.  The skits are a mixed bag sometimes but they always are on sketch shows.  I appreciate that their scrappy low-budgetness hasn't been overly MTV-ized (with the exception of the constant cutting away from skits with their after fx inbetweens and cutting back to them later).  Anyway, these guys are really funny.  My favorite skit is probably Camping Weekend.  Today at noon they are "taking over" MTV for 24 hours of broadcasting whatever they want.  I think I'm going to try to go tonite after work for a few hours since they need people for the audience.  I will let you know how it goes.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

hedwig

haha i was gonna make this thread.

human giant is AMAZING.. every single episode. the show's got a very unique style, probably cause they've been perfecting their stuff over the past few years at UCB. in addition to the three hilarious leads, there have been guest appearances from people like matt walsh, rob riggle, patton oswalt, and linda cardellini. i've rewatched so many sketches and they just keep getting funnier (the huebel-whale sketch being a personal favorite). great, great show, let's hope they do well enough to come back for a second season.  :yabbse-thumbup:

Pubrick

i guess no one clicked the top link or read mod's post.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

Quote from: Pubrick on May 18, 2007, 11:40:43 AM
i guess no one clicked the top link or read mod's post.

B'oh

hedwig

i did both and i've been watching the 24 hour thing..

i cannot believe they played Party All The Time. WHY GOD PLEASE NO MORE NO MORE NO MORE.

i love mtv. :shock:

modage

that was awesome.  we were in the woodpaneling room for about 2 1/2 hours between 10:45 and 1:15.  when we were waiting downstairs we saw Michael Showalter walking out and Bill Hader and Fred Armisen came to wait behind us.  Rob Riggle and Bob Odenkirk also came by while we were there.  on the way out i saw Pitchfork's Ryan Schrieber in a line asking "is this for press?"  yep, it was a very weird night. Ricky Gervais at Theatre @ Madison Square Garden tomorrow night.  i heart new york.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

MTV's 'Giant' back for more
Source: Hollywood Reporter

MTV has given the green light to a second season of "Human Giant," a comedy series comprised of short films. The news follows a stunt during the weekend in which the cast -- Aziz Ansari, Rob Huebel, Paul Scheer and Jason Woliner -- were challenged by MTV to earn their second season by garnering more than 1 million hits on their Web site within a 24-hour period during a live on-air marathon. From noon Friday to noon Saturday, MTV said, the cast was able to garner more than 1.2 million hits after they were given "full reign" on MTV and MTV2 to do whatever they wanted on-air. The cast " teamed up with us and put together an incredible 24 hours of live programming that proved exactly why they belong on MTV. ... The fans have spoken, and shattered the goal of a million hits, so 'Human Giant' will be back for Season 2," said Tony DiSanto, executive vp series development and animation at MTV.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Raikus

I wish more networks issued their renews like this.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

squints

Quote from: Pubrick on May 18, 2007, 04:02:42 AM
i've watched every preview available online, since they don't show it here. surprised no one has mentioned it before.

without having seen a full episode, i'll agree it's pretty much the funniest shit on tv right now.

here ya go big cheese:
http://www.tv-links.co.uk/show.do/1/2684
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Pubrick

a thousand thanks to squints!

just saw the first episode, and with only 3 sketches in it that i hadn't seen before, i will confirm this is the best comedy show on tv. way better than heroes.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

cine

i guess i should've endorsed this show a while ago..

like a psychopath, i downloaded the entire 24 hour marathon they had. totally worth it.

season 2 is gonna be costume/make-up crazy!

this show is adorable!!! my favorite part is that they're able to transmit their friendship onscreen and it comes very relaxed and natural. the sketches i like the most are the ones where they  play buddies doing regular stuff and then have a bizarre twist. it's quality stuff, thanks for recommending it.
context, context, context.