NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 09, 2003, 08:52:13 PM

socketlevel

This might be the best trailer of the year, and i don't care it's for a video game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Old41bsSXU&feature=player_embedded

the use of wide angle shots (everything is CU these days...) when she flies in the window reversed are great. i also like how it goes from cloudy to sunny due to the break in the clouds (or sunny to cloudy depending on the perspective)
the one last hit that spent you...

squints

wow that was fucking intense.

can't imagine another zombie game being that great though  :yabbse-undecided:
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

RegularKarate

RE: that trailer.  It's bullshit.  It tries to be artistic, but it's just cheating using a kid and sad music to try to make it emotional even though it's pretty empty.  And there's no gameplay in the trailer.  Success, this commercial made me never want to play the game.

Now, what I really came for.  This weekend, after a LOT of deciding and multiple trips to Gamestop, I bought an Xbox 360.  Not interested at all in Kinnect or that kind of shit... I just want to play all these cool games that those who bought the Wii missed out on.

I bought Bio-Shock and Call of Duty 4 and I plan on eventually getting Red Dead Redemption and Arkham Asylum.

Considering I've never played Xbox or playstation 3, what used games would be worth buying so I can catch up on great video games?

Stefen

First of all, get XBox LIVE. It's worth it.

You will probably enjoy Alan Wake. I think it was one of the best games of last year. It has a very David Lynch vibe. It can be had for $20 new on Amazon and probably cheaper used. Mass Effect 2 is REALLY good. I never played part one so I don't know if you need to play part one first, but I enjoyed part 2 regardless. It can also be had for $20 new.

But yeah, Red Dead Redemption is pretty much the gold standard. I'm not a big fan of shooters so I can't really comment on the Call of Duty or Halo games, but if you like RPG's, the Fallout games are a must.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

The Perineum Falcon

Did I miss something, or is no one else excited about Rockstar's L.A. Noire??

This shit looks incredible. They've got a good cast lined up, including Cosgrove from Mad Men, and he actually looks like Cosgrove!! And I'm almost positive I saw Harry Crane in one of those videos, too.
The new technology on display here, MotionScan, seems to really change things up, tying movies and games ever closer together; actors will be required to actually act, instead of having a nice voice.

I've already decided I'm taking the day off when this is released.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Stefen

I've been following it, but I'm confused by it. Is it going to be like a sandbox game like Rockstar usually makes or is it going to be linear? It seems linear, but that doesn't sound like Rockstar.

The graphics and facial animations look stunning. I just hope it's open-world so we can trek around that era of LA. How awesome would that be? If they can do for LA what they did for the Wild West, my god. Sign me up.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Stefen on February 21, 2011, 02:44:29 PM
I've been following it, but I'm confused by it. Is it going to be like a sandbox game like Rockstar usually makes or is it going to be linear? It seems linear, but that doesn't sound like Rockstar.

The graphics and facial animations look stunning. I just hope it's open-world so we can trek around that era of LA. How awesome would that be? If they can do for LA what they did for the Wild West, my god. Sign me up.
A friend of mine is a bit concerned about that, too: his favorite pasttime in Red Dead was killing innocent folks. Surely, Rockstar would allow alittle room for corruption in the police force.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Stefen

Yeah, Rockstars M.O. is basically open-world gameplay, so I can't see how they would go away from that.

A bit of it reminds me of Heavy Rain, which was really good, but very linear.

polkablues

The idea is that it's a progression of missions in the form of different cases, which progress linearly, but within the cases you have the freedom to move around the city as you choose. My understanding is that they've modeled the entire 1940s-era city for the game, or at least the greater metro area.
My house, my rules, my coffee

SiliasRuby

I've been waiting for this game for forever. Going to be epic.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

polkablues

Dear MLB: The Show 2011 Demo,
If you have some new-fangled analog control system for pitching and hitting, and you would like the demo to make people want to buy the game, maybe you should include something that tells the player how to use it.  Otherwise they will will try random controller movements, trying to get something, anything, to work the way they want it to, until they get frustrated, quit the demo, delete it, and lose any interest in ever buying your goddamn game.  Fuck you heartily.
My house, my rules, my coffee

socketlevel

Quote from: Stefen on February 21, 2011, 02:48:06 PM
Yeah, Rockstars M.O. is basically open-world gameplay, so I can't see how they would go away from that.

A bit of it reminds me of Heavy Rain, which was really good, but very linear.

I don't think there is anything wrong with rock star making a game in which you have to be good. It'll be L.A. Confidential style though, police corruption will be part of the plot.
the one last hit that spent you...

squints

Quote from: polkablues on March 16, 2011, 11:30:03 PM
Dear MLB: The Show 2011 Demo,
If you have some new-fangled analog control system for pitching and hitting, and you would like the demo to make people want to buy the game, maybe you should include something that tells the player how to use it.  Otherwise they will will try random controller movements, trying to get something, anything, to work the way they want it to, until they get frustrated, quit the demo, delete it, and lose any interest in ever buying your goddamn game.  Fuck you heartily.

The thing i've found most frustrating about baseball games in the last couple of years is that they are incredibly realistic, like TOO realistic, which makes for incredibly BORING gameplay.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Pas

Also 162 games is ridiculous.

Even 82 for hockey is insane.

The only manageable sport on a game console is football really.

squints