The 86th Annual Academy Awards

Started by MacGuffin, April 19, 2013, 12:32:19 AM

MacGuffin

Seth MacFarlane Asked to Return to Host 2014 Oscars
Source: Collider

Seth MacFarlane got mixed reviews as host of the 2013 Academy Awards.  But the audience grew to 40.3 million viewers over the previous year hosted by Billy Crystal —more importantly, the audience grew younger, with 20% more 18-34 viewers.  This year's telecast producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron will return to oversee the 2014 Oscars and have reportedly asked MacFarlane to host again.  A source tells Just Jared:

"After defending his performance, the producers reached out to Seth and invited him back to host the show again.  He's not sure if he's going to do it, but he has to decide within the next couple of weeks."

MacFarlane has stated he does not want to host again, tweeting "No way" shortly after the ceremony.  If he changes his mind, I would like to see him try again.  MacFarlane was admittedly hit-or-miss his first time around, but I would like for my generation to have a Bob Hope/Billy Crystal type—a go-to host.  The most important step toward that goal is to give a natural talent several chances to refine his approach.  I believe MacFarlane is qualified.  Next year's Academy Awards are set for March 2, 2014.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Yes

Any early predictions?

PICTURE:
1. American Hustle
2. The Monuments Men
3. The Wolf of Wall Street
4. August: Osage County
5. Foxcatcher
6. Saving Mr. Banks
7. Labor Day
8. 12 Years a Slave
9. Captain Phillips
10. Gravity

DIRECTOR:
1. David O. Russell- American Hustle
2. George Clooney- The Monuments Men
3. Martin Scorsese- The Wolf of Wall Street
4. Alfonso Cuaron- Gravity
5. Steve McQueen- 12 Years a Slave

ACTOR:
1. Leonardo DiCaprio- The Wolf of Wall Street
2. Tom Hanks- Saving Mr. Banks
3. Steve Carell- Foxcatcher
4. Chiwetel Ejifor- 12 Years a Slave
5. Matthew McConegheny- Dallas Buyer's Club

ACTRESS:
1. Naomi Watts- Diana
2. Meryl Streep- August: Osage County
3. Emma Thompson- Saving Mr. Banks
4. Kate Winslet- Labor Day
5. Cate Blanchett- Blue Jasmine

SUPPORTING ACTOR:
1. Josh Brolin- Labor Day
2. Mark Ruffalo- Foxcatcher
3. Michael Fassbender- 12 Years a Slave
4. Chris Cooper- August: Osage County
5. John Goodman- The Monuments Men

SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
1. Amy Adams- American Hustle
2. Julia Roberts- August: Osage County
3. Margo Martindale- August: Osage County
4. Cameron Diaz- The Counselor
5. Kristin Scott-Thomas- Only God Forgives

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
1. American Hustle
2. The Counselor
3. Saving Mr. Banks
4. Foxcatcher
5. Fruitvale Station

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
1. The Monuments Men
2. August: Osage County
3. Labor Day
4. The Wolf of Wall Street
5. Before Midnight

EDITING:
1. Gravity
2. American Hustle
3. The Monuments Men
4. The Wolf of Wall Street
5. Captain Phillips

CINEMATOGRAPHY:
1. Gravity
2. The Great Gatsby
3. Man of Steel
4. 12 Years a Slave
5. Only God Forgives

PRODUCTION DESIGN:
1. Gravity
2. The Great Gatsby
3. 12 Years a Slave
4. The Butler
5. Saving Mr. Banks

COSTUME DESIGN:
1. The Great Gatsby
2. Saving Mr. Banks
3. Grace of Monoco
4. Diana
5. The Monuments Men

MacGuffin

Ellen DeGeneres to Host Oscars
She will make her second appearance as the show's emcee on the March 2 broadcast.

Ellen DeGeneres will host this year's Oscars. DeGeneres herself announced the news Friday morning on Twitter, writing, "It's official: I'm hosting the #Oscars! I'd like to thank @TheAcademy, my wife Portia and, oh dear, there goes the orchestra."

The Academy is getting an early start on next year's Oscar show. In April, it rehired producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron to produce next year's 86th Academy Awards, which will air March 2 on ABC. The decision to bring back the two producers was made by outgoing president Hawk Koch, with the blessing of the board of governors, even though the decision is usually left to the current Academy president.

DeGeneres' announcement comes immediately after Cheryl Boone Isaacs was elected new president of the Academy on Tuesday. She promptly endorsed the selection of the two producers and said her first order of business was meeting with them to decide on a host.

Choosing DeGeneres, known for her kindler, gentler humor, signals that the Academy's next awards show will have a decidedly different tone than the 85th Academy Awards, hosted by Seth MacFarlane, who drew criticism for routines like his song about actresses' nudity on film.

DeGeneres previously hosted the show in 2007 and earned a Primetime Emmy nomination for her work.

"I am so excited to be hosting the Oscars for the second time. You know what they say -- the third time's the charm," DeGeneres said in a statement.

Zadan and Meron added: "We are thrilled to have Ellen DeGeneres host the Oscars. As a longtime friend, we had always hoped to find a project for us to do together, and nothing could be more exciting than teaming up to do the Oscars. There are few stars today who have Ellen's gift for comedy, with her great warmth and humanity. She is beloved everywhere and we expect that the audience at the Dolby Theatre, and in homes around the globe, will be as excited by this news as we are."

DeGeneres, who's had success on TV but few well-known film roles, recently announced a sequel to the Disney/Pixar hit Finding Nemo called Finding Dory, in which she would return to voice the beloved forgetful fish.

Newly elected Academy President Boone Isaacs said, "I agreed with Craig and Neil immediately that Ellen is the ideal host for this year's show. We're looking forward to an entertaining, engaging and fun show."

Academy CEO Dawn Hudson added: "Ellen is talented, wonderfully spontaneous, and knows how to entertain a worldwide audience. She's a big fan of the Oscars; we're huge fans of hers. It's a perfect match."

Meanwhile, ABC Entertainment Group president Paul Lee said, "It is an honor to welcome back Ellen DeGeneres as the host of the biggest entertainment celebration of the year. She is the consummate entertainer, equally beloved by her peers in the industry, movie fans and television viewers. We very much look forward to having her back on ABC for Oscar Sunday."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 02, 2013, 01:41:42 PM
She is beloved everywhere and we expect that the audience at the Dolby Theatre, and in homes around the globe, will be as excited by this news as we are."
lol. i like how she mentioned the dolby audience first. it's true that last year's hosting decision ignited all kinds of upsets within this city itself, and i'm talking pre-ceremony. everyone can guess the post-ceremony perception

it's good news that the academy switched over its president even. it's kind of crazy the academy never before thought to look around, but it's less crazy they realized they could try all at once and everywhere. the decisions have been so numerous you have to wonder about their authenticity, but then that was always a thing to wonder in the first place, and now there's some movement

jenkins

^^can you keep this one? this is how people talk in los angeles

edit - yeah, please. i like it

edit - oh :(

MacGuffin

Best Picture:

- American Hustle
- Captain Phillips
- Dallas Buyers Club
- Gravity
- Her
- Nebraska
- Philomena
- 12 Years a Slave
- The Wolf of Wall Street

Best Actor:

- Christian Bale, American Hustle
- Bruce Dern, Nebraska
- Leonardo DiCaprio, The Wolf of Wall Street
- Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave
- Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club

Best Actress:

- Amy Adams, American Hustle
- Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine
- Sandra Bullock, Gravity
- Judi Dench, Philomena
- Meryl Streep, August: Osage County

Best Supporting Actor:

- Barkhad Abdi, Captain Phillips
- Bradley Cooper, American Hustle
- Michael Fassbender, 12 Years a Slave
- Jonah Hill, Wolf of Wall Street
- Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club

Best Supporting Actress:

- Sally Hawkins, Blue Jasmine
- Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle
- Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years a Slave
- Julia Roberts, August: Osage County
- June Squibb, Nebraska

Best Director:

- David O. Russell, American Hustle
- Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity
- Alexander Payne, Nebraska
- Steve McQueen, 12 Years a Slave
- Martin Scorsese, The Wolf of Wall Street

Best Adapted Screenplay:

- Before Midnight
- Captain Phillips
- Philomena
- 12 Years a Slave
- The Wolf of Wall Street

Best Original Screenplay:

"American Hustle" Written by Eric Warren Singer and David O. Russell
"Blue Jasmine" Written by Woody Allen
"Dallas Buyers Club" Written by Craig Borten & Melisa Wallack
"Her" Written by Spike Jonze
"Nebraska" Written by Bob Nelson

Best Animated Feature Film:

- The Croods
- Despicable Me 2
- Ernest & Celestine
- Frozen
- The Wind Rises

Best Documentary Feature:

- The Act of Killing
- Cutie and the Boxer
- Dirty Wars
- The Square
- 20 Feet from Stardom

Best Foreign Language Film:

- "The Broken Circle Breakdown" Belgium
- "The Great Beauty" Italy
- "The Hunt" Denmark
- "The Missing Picture" Cambodia
- "Omar" Palestine

Best Cinematography:

"The Grandmaster" Philippe Le Sourd
"Gravity" Emmanuel Lubezki
"Inside Llewyn Davis" Bruno Delbonnel
"Nebraska" Phedon Papamichael
"Prisoners" Roger A. Deakins

Best Film Editing:

"American Hustle" Jay Cassidy, Crispin Struthers and Alan Baumgarten
"Captain Phillips" Christopher Rouse
"Dallas Buyers Club" John Mac McMurphy and Martin Pensa
"Gravity" Alfonso Cuarón and Mark Sanger
"12 Years a Slave" Joe Walker

Best Original Score:

"The Book Thief" John Williams
"Gravity" Steven Price
"Her" William Butler and Owen Pallett
"Philomena" Alexandre Desplat
"Saving Mr. Banks" Thomas Newman

Best Original Song:

"Alone Yet Not Alone" from "Alone Yet Not Alone"
"Happy" from "Despicable Me 2"
"Let It Go" from "Frozen"
"The Moon Song" from "Her"
"Ordinary Love" from "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom"

Best Sound Mixing:

"Captain Phillips" Chris Burdon, Mark Taylor, Mike Prestwood Smith and Chris Munro
"Gravity" Skip Lievsay, Niv Adiri, Christopher Benstead and Chris Munro
"The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" Christopher Boyes, Michael Hedges, Michael Semanick and Tony Johnson
"Inside Llewyn Davis" Skip Lievsay, Greg Orloff and Peter F. Kurland
"Lone Survivor" Andy Koyama, Beau Borders and David Brownlow

Best Sound Editing:

"All Is Lost" Steve Boeddeker and Richard Hymns
"Captain Phillips" Oliver Tarney
"Gravity" Glenn Freemantle
"The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" Brent Burge
"Lone Survivor" Wylie Stateman

Best Production Design:

"American Hustle" Production Design: Judy Becker; Set Decoration: Heather Loeffler
"Gravity" Production Design: Andy Nicholson; Set Decoration: Rosie Goodwin and Joanne Woollard
"The Great Gatsby" Production Design: Catherine Martin; Set Decoration: Beverley Dunn
"Her" Production Design: K.K. Barrett; Set Decoration: Gene Serdena
"12 Years a Slave" Production Design: Adam Stockhausen; Set Decoration: Alice Baker

Best Visual Effects:

"Gravity" Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, Dave Shirk and Neil Corbould
"The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton and Eric Reynolds
"Iron Man 3" Christopher Townsend, Guy Williams, Erik Nash and Dan Sudick
"The Lone Ranger" Tim Alexander, Gary Brozenich, Edson Williams and John Frazier
"Star Trek Into Darkness" Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Ben Grossmann and Burt Dalton

Best Costume Design:

"American Hustle" Michael Wilkinson
"The Grandmaster" William Chang Suk Ping
"The Great Gatsby" Catherine Martin
"The Invisible Woman" Michael O'Connor
"12 Years a Slave" Patricia Norris

Best Makeup and Hairstyling:

"Dallas Buyers Club" Adruitha Lee and Robin Mathews
"Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa" Stephen Prouty
"The Lone Ranger" Joel Harlow and Gloria Pasqua-Casny

Best Documentary Short Subject:

"CaveDigger" Jeffrey Karoff
"Facing Fear" Jason Cohen
"Karama Has No Walls" Sara Ishaq
"The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life" Malcolm Clarke and Nicholas Reed
"Prison Terminal: The Last Days of Private Jack Hall" Edgar Barens

Best Short Film (Animated):

"Feral" Daniel Sousa and Dan Golden
"Get a Horse!" Lauren MacMullan and Dorothy McKim
"Mr. Hublot" Laurent Witz and Alexandre Espigares
"Possessions" Shuhei Morita
"Room on the Broom" Max Lang and Jan Lachauer

Best Short Film (Live Action):

"Aquel No Era Yo (That Wasn't Me)" Esteban Crespo
"Avant Que De Tout Perdre (Just before Losing Everything)" Xavier Legrand and Alexandre Gavras
"Helium" Anders Walter and Kim Magnusson
"Pitääkö Mun Kaikki Hoitaa? (Do I Have to Take Care of Everything?)" Selma Vilhunen and Kirsikka Saari
"The Voorman Problem" Mark Gill and Baldwin Li

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Am I crazy or this list is pretty good?

Sucks that Lone Survivor is not getting more love. It's a great film. And Pacific Rim.

Alexandro

it's pretty good. weird that the coen's movie is not bp nominated. there are others that were left out. but there were many good movies last year.

Pubrick

it's not good because it's the same 5 movies nominated over and over again.

no blue is the warmest colour? if it wasn't eligible i'll understand but then the whole thing is still a farce anyway.

like i said elswhere:

Quote from: Pubrick on November 27, 2013, 01:30:47 AM
The noms lists in all these awards reminds me of the xaxie nom process. The voting contingency latch onto a few films and then just keep nominating them in every category regardless of their actual achievement in any distinct category. Leaves no room for variety.

Not sure if it's laziness or that no one at xixax (or anywhere else apparently) watches movies anymore, but most awards these days feel like a prepackaged advertisement for the few films they've decided to get behind.

so the 5 movies they decided to get behind are 12 years a slave, gravity, american hustle, nebraska and dallas buyers club.

is anyone else bored of seeing meryl streep there? that's a perfectly useful nomination spot she's taking up for no other reason than she simply released a film last year. of course i haven't seen that movie because it has the worst title of the year and looks boring as fuck. that's beside the point.

i'm not saying the movies they've chosen aren't good, we can be grateful for that at least, but it's just so transparent that they choose a handful of movies and basically say "fuck the rest, these 5 movies were the best in EVERY category". it's just not true.

the problem is that if they start acknowledging the quality of other films in individual categories they (that is the faceless masses who vote for this) will probably realise one of two things, both equally detrimental to the entire construct of the oscars:

1. movies shouldn't be dissected into distinct technical categories, it is all part of one thing. if there is a standout technical achievement such as the creation of new technology then it belongs in those sad technical awards they do off screen with a bunch of engineers in the room. so the logical thing would be to have just ONE award, "best picture", and leave it at that. that's all that matters. or even "good movies". a definitive list of all the good movies that were released in the last year. it wouldn't be that long, or maybe it would, but it would be definitive. that would be very useful to future historians and anyone listed should be very proud.

2. if a movie has "great cinematography" what we're really saying is that it not only looks great (that is a pointless statement as the film was presumably made by professionals so yeah it's gonna look good that's the bare minimum requirement of their job unless they're going for an ugly aesthetic on purpose), but that the quality of the visual language is on par with the quality of the story. that is to say ANY great film has great cinematography. so you then have to include every film that is part of the best picture category in every other category, and make each category 100 films long or as many good films as there are in any given year.

the whole thing, the oscars, is a sham not because of the fact it's determined behind the scenes by a few powerful promoters, but that it somehow undermines its stated agenda of celebrating cinema by resolutely diminishing every single aspect of it. it kills cinema. it is anti-film.
under the paving stones.

Mel

Quote from: Pubrick on January 16, 2014, 11:14:01 AM
of course i haven't seen that movie because it has the worst title of the year and looks boring as fuck. that's beside the point.

So why bring this up at all? I mostly concur with the rest, but this was cheap.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Sleepless

no blue is the warmest colour?

From what I understand, BISTWC was released in France too late to qualify it for France to submit it as their Foreign Picture nominee, which explains why it's not included there (the whole way the voting works is bizarre anyway). Of course, it could certainly have been nominated in other categories as its US release qualifies it. But the Academy choosing to nominate a foreign film - especially if it isn't already nominated for Foreign - was never going to happen.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Drenk

Quote from: Sleepless on January 16, 2014, 01:43:29 PM
no blue is the warmest colour?

From what I understand, BISTWC was released in France too late to qualify it for France to submit it as their Foreign Picture nominee, which explains why it's not included there (the whole way the voting works is bizarre anyway). Of course, it could certainly have been nominated in other categories as its US release qualifies it. But the Academy choosing to nominate a foreign film - especially if it isn't already nominated for Foreign - was never going to happen.

But it could have been Best Picture or Best Actress. But no way the people who vote for that would "read subtitles for three hours" or something.
Ascension.

Pubrick

Quote from: Mel on January 16, 2014, 12:21:41 PM
So why bring this up at all? I mostly concur with the rest, but this was cheap.

because it's true, it has the worst title and looks boring.

Quote from: Sleepless on January 16, 2014, 01:43:29 PM
But the Academy choosing to nominate a foreign film - especially if it isn't already nominated for Foreign - was never going to happen.

but it has happened before, and not that long ago. a notable example i remember fondly was Il Postino in 1995. it wasn't nominated in the foreign film category at all, it went straight to Best Picture, Actor, Screenplay, Score and Director (who was british).

ok so maybe that was 20 years ago. and i think we all have this memory of the oscars not ALWAYS being a complete misrepresentation of movies in any given year. this is the kind of thing we remember, or at least i do. there were times in the 90s when i really cared, and while the major winners were usually not actually the best films (dances with wolves), they really did recognize a lot of work strictly on its quality. this being one example.

Quote from: Drenk on January 16, 2014, 02:27:38 PM
But it could have been Best Picture or Best Actress. But no way the people who vote for that would "read subtitles for three hours" or something.

see above. La Vie en Rose, Life is Beautiful, Talk To Her.. these are just some recent examples of foreign films that cracked through to the major categories and won. in the old days we could cite for example that Bergman would often get included in the major categories as a sign of recognition that his work was not just a nice "foreign" product.

This year just strikes me as overwhelmingly american. of course it's an american institution and they need to keep telling themselves they're relevant, or at the forefront of cinema or whatever, but i don't think i've ever seen a best pic list that is more ethnocentric.

how many of the titles literally refer to something in america? it's crazy. AMERICAN hustle, NEBRASKA, DALLAS blah blah, WALL STREET. does nothing interesting ever happen outside of the US? by this solid logic you can bet that if Ghostboy had gone with the french translation of his film's title, The Lovers from Texas or whatever, he would have definitely received some recognition. dollars to donuts. (<--- future best pic title)
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

BEST PICTURE

"12 Years a Slave"

ACTOR

Matthew McConaughey, "Dallas Buyers Club"

ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett, "Blue Jasmine"

SUPPORTING ACTOR

Jared Leto, "Dallas Buyers Club"

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Lupita Nyong'o, "12 Years a Slave"

DIRECTOR

Alfonso Cuarón, "Gravity"

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

John Ridley, "12 Years a Slave"

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Spike Jonze, "Her"

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

"20 Feet from Stardom"

FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM

"The Great Beauty" (Italy)

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

"Frozen"

CINEMATOGRAPHY

Emmanuel Lubezki, "Gravity"

COSTUME DESIGN

"The Great Gatsby," Catherine Martin

FILM EDITING

"Gravity," Alfonso Cuarón and Mark Sanger

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING

"Dallas Buyers Club," Adruitha Lee and Robin Mathews

ORIGINAL SONG

"Let It Go" from "Frozen," music and lyrics by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez

ORIGINAL SCORE

"Gravity," Steven Price

PRODUCTION DESIGN

"The Great Gatsby," Catherine Martin (production design) and Beverley Dunn (set decoration)

SOUND EDITING

"Gravity," Glenn Freemantle

SOUND MIXING

"Gravity," Skip Lievsay, Niv Adiri, Christopher Benstead and Chris Munro

VISUAL EFFECTS

"Gravity," Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, David Shirk and Neil Corbould

ANIMATED SHORT FILM

"Mr. Hublot"

DOCUMENTARY SHORT FILM

"The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life"

LIVE-ACTION SHORT FILM

"Helium"

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

And another uninspiring and inevitable Academy Awards bites the dust.
My house, my rules, my coffee