Best Hotel/Motel movies

Started by Reel, May 13, 2012, 11:48:42 PM

Mel

Quote from: socketlevel on September 11, 2012, 10:17:10 PM
not top of the list but i kinda like Bug too

That. Fine quirky film.

I guess The Grand Budapest Hotel would be on my list too.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Reel

I watched 'The Innkeepers' tonight (spoilers), it grows on me more each time. I watched it on my laptop the first time and I don't think I got the full effect of it's sound design. I found myself legitimately scared in pretty much all the places it wanted me to, which is a rare feeling to get when you know all of the horror tropes. Ti West has this way of really drawing you into the characters and knowing them as real people before the horror starts. So even though there are only two deaths in this movie it feels like a huge deal because of how likable Sarah Paxton's character is.

Anyway, I wanted to bring this up. In this clip, Kelly Mcgillis from 'Top Gun' asks Sarah Paxton if she's an 'inspiring actress' at 1:21. With subtitles it says "aspiring actress" but listen to her pronounce it a few times:

"The Innkeepers" Co-stars Pat Healy, once again working behind a counter. Anyone who wants Pat Healy to carry their movie must be a huge fan of 'Magnolia', where do huge fans of Magnolia come? I don't know, guys. Sometimes I just.don't.know.

polkablues

Ti runs in the same crowds as Ghostboy, so it's not totally out of the realm of potentiality.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

Have either of you see his western? I haven't and I've never seen Cabin fever 2 either. But I actually most want to rewatch either the the innkeepers and/or the Sacrament

polkablues

Haven't seen Valley of Violence yet, though I've been meaning to get around to it. Sacrament left me cold a bit; it felt like he just wanted to do a retelling of the Jonestown massacre, but didn't really know why. But Innkeepers is great and House of the Devil is a minor masterpiece, so he's still on my good side.

As for Cabin Fever 2, he apparently disowned it after the edit was taken away from him, but from having seen it, I honestly can't imagine any version of it that wouldn't have been terrible.

Alethia

I love House of the Devil and enjoyed The Sacramemt, must get on The Inn-Keepers. He also appears in my favorite Joe Swanberg movie Silver Bullets.

Alexandro

Bug (Friedkin)
I keep coming back to this film every couple of years, try to show it to someone who hasn't seen it and people are always shocked that it's so good and they never heard of it. People who remember it  claim they passed on it because it looked like a cheap horror film. That was my case. But then I saw it and damn, it's just fucking crazy on another level. I don't think Michael Shannon can top this performance, in fact it is THE Michael Shannon archetypical performance. But what Ashley Judd manages here is simply electric. She has a monologue near the end that makes you want to jump out of your seat and scream along with her. People love The Exorcist and there other more respected films in Friedkin's career, but to me this one takes the gold.

jenkins

QuoteI guess I'd rather talk with you about bugs than nothing with nobody.

i bought Bug about ten years ago in a basement movie/music store near some university in seattle, the university of washington i think, and Alexandro inspired me to go back to it, since i haven't sold it.

he's absolutely right about both performances being incredible. somehow the movie is good but it's almost as if their performances are better than the movie, almost as if movies don't even deserve performances of that caliber

above i quoted not the movie's best line but its most thematically encapsulating one. the movie celebrates what these days would be called a toxic relationship, exploring its bad side while also expressing the necessity it can take in the lives of others. i believe i'm starting to understand crazy people. i've always been biased toward them anyway perhaps, owing to their heightened sensations, but i'm understanding them now like this: Rupert says  "Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime," and that's a good line, here's a variation on it, "The world calls me a schmuck, he calls me his queen."

i will build upon that idea by mentioning the next movie i watched was

both movies are about the pros/cons of toxic relationships, are set in a hotel, and end with fires.

now, Bug was written by Lady Bird's dad, and Fool for Love was written by and co-stars Sam Shepard. that's actually side-info unrelated to the topic i'm building.

both movies work within a limited setscape but in fact explore massive interior landscapes experiencing lightning storms.

which i love, really. these are interior melodramas, almost soap operas. why not? you wanted to see their lives--well, they didn't want to see their lives. and that basic philosophy i support.

it's all so trashy, too. these people who can't find anything in life, of course they value love, and the kind of guy i am, i'd rather hear stories like these than comic book movies or whatever else godless bullshit the lamestsream is embracing.

a Fool for Love quote is

QuoteI couldn't take a breath without thinking about you.

isn't that a good one? i want someone to say that to me. is it an outrageous line? yes. i want someone to be outrageous with me. we'll end in fire but at least we'll have begun.

considering that a pretty good/sufficient closer.

polkablues

Quote from: jenkins on November 10, 2018, 04:47:37 PM
i bought Bug about ten years ago in a basement movie/music store near some university in seattle, the university of washington i think

Was it Scarecrow Video? That's legitimately the best video store I've ever been to. You'll pay a premium for it, but you can find stuff there you'll never find anywhere else.

jenkins

i did go there and i remember at the time there was a story about QT having walked to it, which cemented it as a notable spot for me, although it achieves that on its own without the QT story. but i bought it somewhere else, it was on like a two block stretch outside a university, with all sorts of common university stores, cultural stores