The Aviator

Started by MacGuffin, January 20, 2003, 01:29:35 PM

rustinglass

I really didn't mind Cate Blanchett's overacting, I thought it was really funny and didn't feel obnoxious to me at all. goooolly!

The plane crash scene beats the shit out of cast away. All the flying scenes are beautiful!
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

cine

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman4. Cate Blanchett was horrifyingly bad. That was the most obnoxious thing I've seen in a long time.
JB, let me know when you've seen a Katharine Hepburn interview/film/anything that could give you the slightest idea on who she is.

modage

yeah, i thought she did about as good a job as could be done within the script capturing hepburn.  jb, have you seen much katherine hepburn?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Okay, I haven't seen an entire Katharine Hepburn movie, but I've seen enough to know there's some element of likeability there that's totally absent from Cate Blanchett's character. I've also heard from trustworthy [older] sources that it was a crude impersonation.

And the chemistry between her and DiCaprio didn't work for me at all, maybe because they're both doing impersonations of extreme people.

RegularKarate

JB, I think you're so wrong there.

You go right now and watch The Philadelphia Story and pay attention to the chemistry between her and Stewart during the "drunk scene".  It's amazing and hot...it's reflected quite well in the flying scene in the Aviator... it's so classy and sexy all at once.

xerxes

i enjoyed it quite a bit.

the crash scene was really amazing (as many people have said before)

and rufus wainwright was a nice little surprise.

©brad

Quote from: RegularKarateJB, I think you're so wrong there.

You go right now and watch The Philadelphia Story and pay attention to the chemistry between her and Stewart during the "drunk scene".  It's amazing and hot...it's reflected quite well in the flying scene in the Aviator... it's so classy and sexy all at once.

jeremiah i must agree with regkar here.

cate blanchett overacting? overacting isn't even an issue here. she nailed the part, almost too well, because at times she upstages everyone else in the movie.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ono mo cuishleSomeone on IMDb is reporting either an April 26th or May 24th release date for the DVD, depending of it is delayed for a prolonged theatrical release due to the Oscars.

From The Digital Bits:

Best Picture front runner The Aviator is expected to be announced by Warner Bros. for DVD release on 5/24.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

I probably haven't seen enough Catherine Hepburn to appreciate her "charm." Cause I saw nothing charming in that performance.

So I guess that means Cate Blanchett didn't do a very good job of "channelling" Catherine Hepburn, at least not enough for an ignorant audience to understand.

Maybe I just don't like Catherine Hepburn.

cine

that post didn't make sense..

kotte

Quote from: flagpolespecialcate blanchett was so good in this movie she made me want to cry.

she was adorable, sexy, romantic and outdoorsy.

:)

It should be sexy or outdoorsy...I don't think they fit well together.
The golf sequence, she was outdoorsy but sexy??

Pwaybloe

Well, yeah.  She sweats.

modage

Title: The Aviator
Released: 24th May 2005
SRP: $29.95

Further Details
Warner has just this minute announced a two-disc special edition of The Aviator which stars Leonardo Di Caprio, Cate Blanchett and Kate Beckinsale. The film will be available to own from the 24th May this year, and should retail at around $29.95. The film will be presented in 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen along with both English and French Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks. Extras will include an audio commentary by director Martin Scorsese, a deleted scene in which Howard tells Ava about his car accident, a fourty-five minute documentary entitled Modern Marvels: Howard Hughes, A Life Without Limits: The Making of The Aviator featurette, a Role Of Howard Hughes In Aviation History featurette, an evening with Leonardo DiCaprio and Alan Alda feature and an Affliction of Howard Hughes: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder featurette. Completing the package will be an OCD Panel Discussion With Leonardo DiCaprio, Martin Scorsese, And Howard Hughes' Widow Terry Moore, two behind the scenes featurettes on the hair, makeup and visual effects of the film and a photo gallery.  You can see the artwork at this link: http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=6143&n=1&burl=
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

didn't know where the fuck to put this and didn't wanna start a new thread, so here's a nice little interview with scorsese and howard shore talking about opera...

http://www.operainfo.org/intermissions/intermissionFeaturesDetails.cgi?id=47&language=1&month=02&year=2005&int_page_id=253

Ravi

Quote from: themodernage02Aviator artwork at this link: http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=6143&n=1&burl=

"Giant Leonardo head is chasing us!"