Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

jenkins

carrie,

it's no hit, is it, i don't think so. it's october and it'll make gobs of money, but i just want people to come and tell me nice things about carrie, if there are nice things to say, idk, i haven't seen it. i like its credits

i don't call it a remake of the movie, i don't like that. carrie began as a book. the first remake was carrie, by de palma. an adaptation is a remake -- an art piece is being remade into a different art piece. i've said elsewhere, even during the holy days of a pta preproduction, that i don't like the dilution of literature with cinema. if you see a movie you like a lot, do you expect to go find the novelization and improve your understanding of the movie? no way. you go buy a novelization to have a laugh. i don't think they make novelizations anymore, do they? the craft of cinema is different from the craft of literature, and vice versa

so fuck the book. and you can't touch de palma, so fuck de palma. computer effects, well, i can't take them out of the movie by hating them, so fuck them

i'm less likely to see horror movies, because they scare me. has anyone seen carrie?! you can tell us things. you know what to do  :embrace:

Reel

Quote from: jenkins<3 on October 19, 2013, 12:26:21 PM
carrie,
i don't call it a remake of the movie, i don't like that. carrie began as a book. the first remake was carrie, by de palma. an adaptation is a remake -- an art piece is being remade into a different art piece.

Oh, man  :doh: You got me there. I guess the original is so prevalent that I can't help but compare the two. I feel really dumb, but it will be almost impossible for me to judge this on it's own merits.

there is a Carrie thread, you know...

jenkins

yeah this is my remake. things a lil difrent

Reel

When I do my auto-biopic, I'll call it 'the remake of my life'

jenkins

hell yeah. today i feel inspired to finish my hagiography on myself. close to the payout for my learning about attila the hun and stealing his life. working on the musical chapter, to show those suckers in the future that i tapped my toes through all of time

Alexandro

there isn't a thread for andrés muschietti's "mama"? That was a good horror film, for a change.

polkablues

Two-thirds of a good horror film, at least. I thought it really shat the bed toward the end.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alexandro

but then it recovers and delivers a good sour ending.
not perfect but with more substance than the usual and is not some meta exercise about "genre" like cabin in the woods, which I hated. Mama, I thought had very nice touches, although the usual scares and tricks and jumps are abused as in every other horror film, but it manages to sustain a pretty eerie vibe through the whole thing and Jessica Chastain is a goddess.

polkablues

MAMA SPOILERS, FOR ANYONE WHO CARES

I agree that the atmosphere was fantastic, Jessica Chastain elevated the whole proceedings, and I thought the kids were fantastic, I just hated how the story, which had been very successfully creepy and unnerving all throughout, had to escalate into this big shouty showdown at the end. Yeah, the little girl drowning with Mama had the potential to be a nice downbeat ending, but I hated the way they got there. And I think I reacted even more strongly against it because of how much I loved the majority of the film.

Alexandro

can't say I disagree with you.

jenkins

not abandoning my hopes for someone to carrie me. let's pause carrie until people arrive

last night i wanted to halloween myself with a horror movie. of course i chose a movie that's kinda not fully a horror movie:

detention, dir: joseph kahn (music videos, torque), 2011, 93min

detention's cinema is astounding. kahn has so much talent and ability. it's just impossible that detention was made without a broad understanding of cinema

problem is, detention is wacky. it'd take me many sentences to explain it. here's a summary: the reappropriation of 20 years of pop culture, filtered through a hodgepodge of narratives (high school, with a time travel twist, and a slasher twist, and a romance). irl i've told people about this movie as "scott pilgrim, if scott pilgrim made less sense" and that still sounds right

everything that doesn't make sense is simply kahn sometimes making shit up to prompt the narrative paths he desires. you can notice this right away, then later you can stop worrying. it's pure fantasy sprinkled with elements of real people. the people elements are highly detailed and explored, both through character building and, i adore this, through the use of camera and editing

last night was my third time watching the movie, and i like it more and more each time i see it. it'd be fun if i could get someone here to watch it and talk about it with me. there are such treats in this movie!

fuck the trailer. the trailer doesn't reveal the pleasures. I'VE PROVIDED A CLIP THAT'S THE END OF THE MOVIE, but all it'll tell you is the romance goes well, which i'm positive is the one detail you can already guess. more importantly, you see the cinema and pop culture i'm talking about (and there are plenty of other more unguessable narrative particulars in detention, and i think the trailer sucks):

it's funny to me the imdb message board has a thread titled "Intelligent film masquerading as trash"

Drenk

I've seen Detention. I loved it. It's Scott Pilgrim meets Scream. Did you see the four Scream? They're great, especially the last one : Sc4eam. The movie is pure fantasy and nostalgia. You don't really care about the characters, but they're nearly myth : The Weirdo, The Blond, The Handsome Guy. But they have something more...

I'll watch it again soon.
Ascension.

jenkins

!!! yaaay

at first i thought i haven't seen scream 4, but now i realize i have. that was two and a half years ago and i remember: a girl in her living room talking about movies she likes for some reason. i kinda remember someone's living room and that's it, so i should go back, especially if you're recommending. the synopsis reminds me about self-helf books, lol. i'm surprised i forgot about rory culkin. sorry rory

it's not on netflix streaming :( detention isn't on netflix streaming :( i'll find a way to rewatch scream 4. netflix asked me this today:

polkablues

NO GOOD CAN COME OF REWATCHING SCREAM 4.

jenkins

Quote from: Drenk on October 20, 2013, 03:09:13 PM
Did you see the four Scream? They're great, especially the last one : Sc4eam.
Quote from: polkablues on October 21, 2013, 02:17:18 AM
NO GOOD CAN COME OF REWATCHING SCREAM 4.

i'm nervous right now. do you see me looking at my hands? i'm looking at my hands. drenk has a secret: france's 290 nuclear weapons. drenk has more nukes than china. more than the united kingdom. more than pakistan, israel, and india combined. france has the same number of nuclear weapons as france, and that's a lot, that's #3 behind us and russia

is drenk looking at us? i'm looking at my hands. can't wait to see scream 4 again. for children