Remake Remake Fucking Remake

Started by modage, March 05, 2005, 10:02:37 AM

gob

Quote from: MacGuffin on December 07, 2006, 01:11:43 AM

before he directs George Clooney in "White Jazz."

!!! Why wasn't I informed about this? That'd be superb.

Haven't seen the original Bunny Lake, although I'd like to. Could anyone have the cheek to remake Preminger? I really like Carnahan though so it doesn't offend me as much as the other remakes slated e.g. The Thing...  :shock:

MacGuffin

Quote from: gob on December 07, 2006, 03:19:29 AM!!! Why wasn't I informed about this? That'd be superb.

What you meant to say is, "!!! Why didn't I read this?"

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=1857.msg235053#msg235053
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Tingler To Return In Remake

Columbia Pictures is developing a remake of Vincent Price's 1959 horror classic The Tingler, Variety reported. The studio, along with Neal Moritz's Original Pictures, has hired screenwriting team Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan to update the script. The pair is best known for writing the horror film Feast, which was chosen as the focus of the third season of Project Greenlight.

In the original Tingler, Price plays a mad scientist who discovers a creature that attacks people from inside when they are afraid. He uses the creature to literally scare people to death. Columbia and Moritz started developing the remake in 2003, with Greg Pace on board as screenwriter. But the project stalled and was inactive before Melton and Dunstan were brought on board.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 14, 2004, 11:50:14 PM
Moritz, Col put new fear into 'Tingler'

Neal Moritz is set to bring back the 1959 horror classic "The Tingler" for Columbia Pictures. Greg Pace is set to write the feature.

The original movie starred Vincent Price as a scientist who discovers an organism that grows along a person's spine when that person enters a state of extreme fear. One way to defeat the creature is to scream.

The movie was directed and produced by noted horror master William Castle, who was known as much for his gimmicks as his movies. For "Tingler," Castle wired theater seats so that when a scream occurred during the movie, audiences felt a jolt.

The new version will follow a scientist who, in the search for a medical cure for fear, unleashes the Tingler, an entity that kills its victims with fear.
it's weird that a year and a half later, this is news again.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Weirder Science?
Source: Moviehole

Another day, Another remake.

Remember how Robert Downey Jr mentioned that he thought remaking "Weird Science" - a film he did before he discovered the magic of mushrooms - would be a good idea?

They have listened. Thanks Rob.

Word is, Universal have tapped up-and-coming writer Johnny Rosenthal to pen the stencil for a redo of the John Hughes classic. No doubt it'll follow the same storyline – two nerds create the ultimate woman on their computer, she comes to life, they envision a sandwich.

The original film, released in 1985, starred Ilan-Michael Smith, Anthony Michael-Hall and the abovementioned, Robert Downey Jr. The perfect female? Well, back then, she wore the body of Kelly Le Brock.

So who would we get now? If I were a casting director, I'd go Diane Lane... I'd love it if she spat out of my motherboard. Probably too old though, for teen-film standards - I bet they'll snag someone along the likes of Sarah Michelle Gellar or Jennifer Love Hewitt to play the object of the boys affections.

Scott Bernstein, one of the producers of another upcoming remake "The Birds", is also on board.

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: kal on February 06, 2007, 10:22:43 AM
Then even more of a reason, why the fuck are they even doing this?? Didnt you ever see Emanuelle in Space on Cinemax??
No, but I totally might, now!
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

MacGuffin

'Scanners' moves to new dimension
Bousman to direct horror remake
Source: Variety

Dimension Films has closed a deal to remake David Cronenberg's 1981 horror pic "Scanners."

Redo will be directed by Darren Lynn Bousman, who helmed "Saw II" and "Saw III" and is prepping the fourth installment. David Goyer will pen the script.

Story revolves around a scientist who infiltrates an underground movement of "scanners," whose telepathic abilities make them lethal weapons. The original was best remembered for an exploding head finale.

Dimension co-chairman Bob Weinstein has earmarked an early 2008 production start; aim is to release the film later that year.

Production prexy Richard Saperstein was a catalyst for the remake. He optioned the rights when heading production for Artisan Pictures in 2002, and when those rights lapsed recently, he and Weinstein pounced.

Saperstein said Cronenberg's original had a memorable paranoia theme. Advances in areas like gene manipulation and stem cell research make the concept more plausible.

Producing the film will be Rene Malo, Pierre David, Clark Peterson, Jessika Borsiczky Goyer, Mark Burg and Oren Koules. The latter two produce and finance the "Saw" series through their Twisted Pictures banner.

Dimension made a two-picture directing deal with Bousman right after Lionsgate released "Saw II," and "Scanners" will be his first project for Dimension. Bousman starts production on "Saw IV" on April 15 and then will move directly into the rock opera "Repo" for Twisted Pictures and Lionsgate. Goyer will have the "Scanners" script ready when he finishes.

Dimension has kicked its genre business into high gear. Studio releases "Grindhouse" on April 6; the John Cusack-Samuel L. Jackson thriller "1408" just wrapped; Rob Zombie is about to begin production on "Halloween"; and Dimension just hired Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski to adapt Stephen King novel "The Cell" for "Hostel" director Eli Roth.

Goyer penned the "Blade" series and co-wrote "Batman Begins."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Aja bites into 'Piranha'
Director to remake horror parody
Source: Variety

Dimension Films has hired French filmmaker Alexandre Aja to direct a remake of "Piranha," Joe Dante's 1978 dark parody of Steven Spielberg's "Jaws" that was followed by a sequel from James Cameron.

Atmosphere's Mark Canton ("300"), IPW's Marc Toberoff and Gregory Levasseur are producing the stylized horror-comedy. Pete Goldfinger and Josh Stolberg penned the script, with Aja planning a rewrite.

Aja, part of a group of up-and-coming horror filmmakers known as the Splat Packers, has a distinct vision in updating "Piranha," saying he wants to pay homage to all the "creature films that made me fall in love with the genre."

Updated story takes place at Lake Havasu, Ariz., a favorite destination for partying spring breakers. When a tremor causes the ground to open up beneath the lake, chaos and terror break out as ravenous piranhas are released.

"We will maintain the fun and thrilling aspects of the original film but look forward to upping the ante with a modern-day twist," Dimension's Bob Weinstein said.

Toberoff, along with IPW head of production J. Todd Harris, secured the necessary rights and took the project to Atmosphere. Exec producers are Harris, Alix Taylor and Chako Film's Chako van Leeuwen.

Aja was last in theaters with horror-thriller "The Hills Have Eyes" and is in pre-production with New Regency's "Mirrors."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Fallout takes on 'Dolemite' redo
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Fallout Entertainment has acquired the rights to remake the 1975 blaxploitation action comedy "Dolemite."

Company principal Bill Fishman is slated to direct from a screenplay being written by Jeff Hause and David Hines. The film will be produced by Warren Zide.

Dolemite -- inspired by a character created by comedian-writer-producer Rudy Ray Moore during the 1970s -- is an ex-con who, in attempting to regain control of his nightclub, is joined by a squad of "kung-fu fighting girls" and other allies as he goes up against all who stand in his way. Moore will executive produce and might have a role in the remake.

"I think there is a certain sincerity in the original that is kind of undeniable," Fishman said. "(Moore's) a cult figure and a luminary. ... He's an original.

"(We are) giving enough respect to the original and building on it," the helmer added. "We are going to use some of the original one liners. (Moore's) eminently quotable."

The production company is in the initial stages of casting and has had discussions with several stars of comedy and hip-hop, including Snoop Dogg.

Fishman hopes to begin production in the fall. The film is set in Los Angeles, but he said there are discussions about shooting in New Orleans.

"Dolemite" will be co-produced by Moore's longtime manager Donald Randell.

Hause and Hines, whose credits include "Once Bitten," also wrote an original screenplay titled "Exorcist Squad," a comedy that Fishman described as an "urban 'Ghostbusters.' " Fishman is seeking financing to get the film off the ground and has Charlie Murphy (brother of Eddie Murphy) and Wayne Brady attached to star.

Zide is perhaps best known for the "American Pie" and "Final Destination" films.

Fishman's credits include "Car 54, Where are You?" and "Tapeheads."

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Oh, no.  No, no, no, no, no.  No.
My house, my rules, my coffee

squints

Dammit Grindhouse, what have you done?

Quote from: MacGuffin on March 19, 2007, 12:44:26 AM
"We are going to use some of the original one liners. (Moore's) eminently quotable."

It just won't have the same snap if I have to hear Snoop Dog or Charlie murphy say "Dolemite is my name, and fuckin up mother fuckers is my game."

fuck this.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

mogwai

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: squints on March 19, 2007, 03:28:30 AM
Dammit Grindhouse Starsky & Hutch, what have you done?

If this gets made, it might trump Gus van Psycho as being the most useless remake ever.  Everything that made the original entertaining had to do with its cheapness, both in terms of production value and taste.  Giving Dolemite big name stars, money, and a story that won't make studio execs worry about whether or not white people will like it will make it just another piece of shit instead of a classic, rewatchable piece of shit. 

MacGuffin

Goyer Updating Scanners
Source: Sci-Fi Wire

Batman Begins writer David Goyer told SCI FI Wire that his updated version of David Cronenberg's classic SF-horror film Scanners will expand on the 1981 original and place it in the context of current events. "One of the ... things that's also great about Scanners was the fact that Cronenberg embeds so much subtext into his stories," Goyer said in an interview while promoting The Invisible, his upcoming supernatural film. "So we've tried to keep the spirit of that and kind of transpose that into a post-9/11 world, if you can imagine what Scanners would be involved in in that kind of world. That's what we're attempting to do here."

In the original low-budget movie, a couple of hundred telepathic and telekinetic humans, led by the particularly cunning and powerful Revok (Michael Ironside), plotted to take over the Earth, in some cases using their powers to literally blow people's minds.

"I'm a huge Cronenberg fan, and Scanners was definitely one of my favorite films as a kid," Goyer said. "What we're trying to do is take all the best elements of that. ... He obviously made it on a shoestring budget, so this time hopefully we can expand upon what he did." Goyer called Cronenberg "a genius."

Goyer is writing the new Scanners script for a film that will be directed by Saw II helmer Darren Lynn Bousman for Dimension Films; an early 2008 production start is envisioned.

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: MacGuffin on April 10, 2007, 11:10:33 AM
"I'm a huge Cronenberg fan, and Scanners was definitely one of my favorite films as a kid," Goyer said. "What we're trying to do is take all the best elements of that. ... He obviously made it on a shoestring budget, so this time hopefully we can expand upon what he did." Goyer called Cronenberg "a genius."

This doesn't seem TOO bad.  The cultists will complain and I don't blame them; I'm the same way about the Escape From New York remake.  But when the right people work with Goyer, like Nolan or del Toro, the results come out pretty good.

Quote from: MacGuffin on April 10, 2007, 11:10:33 AM
Goyer is writing the new Scanners script for a film that will be directed by Saw II helmer Darren Lynn Bousman

Fuck this movie.