Remake Remake Fucking Remake

Started by modage, March 05, 2005, 10:02:37 AM

MacGuffin

Conan's Comeback
Boaz takes on the Barbarian.

Variety reports that Warner Bros. has tapped filmmaker Boaz Yakin (Remember the Titans) to write and possibly direct a new version of Conan the Barbarian.

Yakin is said to be a lifelong fan of Conan, and his version will reportedly be closer to the story originated by author and Conan creator Robert E. Howard.

Irving Azoff, Jon Jashni, Richard Alexander and Akiva Goldsman are producing the film, which could go before cameras as soon as early 2007. Exec producing are Paradox Entertainment's Peter Sederowsky and Fredrik Malmberg.

Although Variety mentions the past involvement of the Wachowski brothers and Robert Rodriguez with the project, they entirely overlooked John Milius, who directed the first Conan the Barbarian and spent several years trying to bring the now-shelved King Conan: Crown of Iron to the screen.

Given the film's proposed early 2007 start date, it appears that (now Governor) Arnold Schwarzeneggar will not be reprising his role as the titular barbarian. The hunt is on then for a new actor to play Conan.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Is Gwen Stefani a Baby Doll?
Source: Moviehole

She may be just a girl, but that don't mean Gwen Stefani can't also be a "Baby Doll".

According to Sky Showbiz, the budding actress (she had a small role in "The Aviator", you may recall) is in talks to front a remake of the 1956 drama "Baby Girl", playing the lead role of Baby Doll Meighan, previously played by Carroll Baker.

The film, written by playwright Tennessee Williams, fixes on a gorgeous young woman (Stefani) who makes a promise to her failed businessman husband that their marriage will be consumated a year from their nuptials. The husband, desperate to bed his wife, and dying to get his business going again, decides to burn down the plant of his arch-rival. His plan succeeds at first, as the rival must use the hubby's facilities to produce his cotton, but things start to go awry for him when the rival meets Baby Doll.

Interestingly enough, the original film found an enemy in The Legion of Decency, an organization of the Roman Catholic Church in the US, that condemned the film as immoral, and despite the efforts of director Elia Kazan, were able to get it withdrawn from release.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

Stefani couldn't be reached for comment because she was in the studio mixing her own version of "Mouth." A 1997 hit for husband Gavin Rossdale's band, Bush. Stefani will retitle the song "yo mouf"
who likes movies anyway

MacGuffin

Sony no longer going to Yuma
Source: Moviehole

Remember the Eric Bana/Tom Cruise western "3:10 To Yuma", that we waxed lyrical about a couple of months back?

Well, but a memory it may only be, with Sony deciding this week that they're not interested in doing the film at present.

Variety reports that the film is in turnaround, signalling a case of déjà vu for director James Mangold, whose "Walk the Line" suffered a similar fate at Sony before it eventually got before a camera elsewhere.

Mangold can't work out why the film has been called off, because it was a pretty economically priced pic. "This is a very middle-priced movie," Mangold argued. "I've never made a movie that has exceeded $60 million, and this one won't either."

It has been suggested that Russell Crowe was in talks for a role – it isn't stated whether he was going to play the role intended for Cruise, or whether he was replacing Eric Bana – and that his fee may have left Sony with cold feet.

His defence? "Westerns have come to mean a kind of narcissistic, ponderous film - and that ain't what we're making," Mangold said. "We're making something with balls, taste and emotion. And I think it's something that's an answer to the kind of saturated, digital overload we're seeing on screens. This is about real people and real action. I have the utmost respect for Sony, Amy Pascal, Doug Belgrad, and I can't explain why it wouldn't fit into what they're doing. The only explanation I have is that when push came to shove it wasn't going."

According to Mangold, Crowe is still very much interested in doing the film, and he hopes to find it a new home. Wouldn't be surprised if FOX snag it.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Dis calls on Raven to baby-sit
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Raven-Symone is attached to star in the Walt Disney Pictures remake of "Adventures in Babysitting." At the same time, she has signed an acting and producing deal that includes a guaranteed pay or play on one movie, with an option for a second.

The original "Babysitting," an '80s cult favorite, follows a high school senior who gets stuck baby-sitting a bunch of kids. The dull night is interrupted when she gets a call for help from a friend stuck downtown, leading her and the kids into a night of misadventures. The original movie marked the directorial debut of Chris Columbus.

Lynda Obst, who produced the 1987 original with Debra Hill, is on board to produce the remake. David Stem and David Weiss wrote the script for the new "Babysitting." No director has been named yet.

Kristin Burr is overseeing for Disney.

It is uncertain whether "Babysitting" will fold into Raven-Symone's deal.

"Raven is a smart, funny and talented star who has the class and composure to go all the way," Disney production chief Nina Jacobson said. "The Disney Channel has made Raven into a household name, and we feel very lucky to be working with her to build a feature career."

Raven-Symone is the star of "That's So Raven," one of Disney Channel's highest-rated shows, and stars in the upcoming Disney telefilm "Cheetah Girls 2." She also is producing content for broadband and mobile phones.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Nicole Kidman joins Witness remake

According to Coming Soon, Nicole Kidman is set to join Al Pacino in a remake of "Witness to the Prosecution". Michael Radford, whose newest film is "Flawless" starring Demi Moore, will direct.

MGM has been working on the film – with Pacino attached from the get go – since 2004. At that stage, David E.Kelley was working on the script, and veteran director Robert Benton ("Kramer Vs Kramer") was attached to direct.

Pacino plays the role of Sir Wilfrid Robarts - played by Charles Laughton in Billy Wilder's 1957 original - a lead attorney in a case in which a wife appears as a witness for the prosecution against her husband.

No idea when the film will get underway, considering Kidman's choca-bloc to-do list: She's got about four of five films to do within the next year, including that long-awaited epic with Hugh Jackman, "The Lady from Shanghai", and the comedy "Headhunters". Apparently Chris Weitz is also eyeing the Australian actress for a role in "His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass", the first of a series of movies based on the popular fantasy novels by Philip Pullman.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

jesus christ nicole!  you are allowed to star in movies that have not already been made!!!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Keys to light up Candle

Singer Alicia Keys has signed a nice plum deal with Disney, with plans to develop and star in several projects for the house of Mouse.

This ain't no Lindsay Lohan-style deal though, where the musician will headline a bunch of family-friendly fodder – nope, she'll be doing some slightly (and I do stress slightly, because her first project is a little on the fluffy side). Her first film with the studio will be a remake of the Kim Novak starrer, "Bell Book and Candle".

Keys will play the role of Gillian 'Gil' Holroyd, a modern-day witch who likes her neighbour but despises his fiancée, so she enchants him to love her instead... only to fall in love with him for real.

Keys made her acting debut in 80s comedy hit "The Cosby Show", and more recently appeared in the films "The Nanny Diaries" and "Smokin' Aces", but the Disney film will be her first lead.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Today in Unnecessary Remakes: Sanjuro
Source: Cinematical

Japanese producer Haruki Kadokawa has announced plans to make a new version of Sanjuro. It will be directed by Yoshimitsu Morita and star Yuji Oda as Toshirô Mifune's unnamed ronin.

The film will hit Japanese theaters next year.

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

does anybody know anything about this???

http://imdb.com/title/tt0808279/

while it may have people remembering what happened to "the vanishing," i have faith in the man. i'm just a little...

fuck, what the hell...
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: polkablues on July 12, 2006, 07:08:25 PM
That's a .750 batting average by anyone's math.
whatever that means.

bob's your uncle, mate.
under the paving stones.

last days of gerry the elephant

It was recently brought to my attention that "The Harder They Come" is now on that remake list.
This is a sad world, and it will never change.

MacGuffin

Burns & Sossamon Not Missing This Call
Source: Variety

Ed Burns and Shannyn Sossamon have signed on to star in One Missed Call for Alcon Entertainment, Intermedia and Kadokawa Pictures USA. Warner Bros. Pictures is distributing the film, reports Variety. Eric Valette is directing the English-language remake of the Japanese supernatural horror hit by Takashi Miike.

The story revolves around a college student (Sossamon) whose friends begin receiving cell phone messages from the future in which they hear themselves being murdered. When she receives her own death message, the coed has three days to change her fate.

Burns plays a detective and filming is under way in Atlanta. The producers are Alcon's Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson, Kadokawa's Jennie Lew Tugend and Lauren C. Weissman and Intermedia's Scott Kroopf. The screenplay was adapted from the original film by Andrew Klavan.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

this reminds me.  remember when ed burns had a career?  what happened to that?  brothers mcmullen big indie hit, she's the one getting a little more high profile (aniston and diaz in the cast), uhh sidewalks of new york kind of a flop but atleast you were a little aware of it when it came out, then he did some movie with elijah wood called Ash Wednesday that i saw the dvd box of one day and had never heard of before.  and now he has some movie The Groomsmen which looks like it's getting the worlds smallest release, as in, i never heard of it till the weekend it was apparently in theatres.  man, plus he used to be in like real movie, like spielberg ones.  i guess i just wanted to say: what happened?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.