Remake Remake Fucking Remake

Started by modage, March 05, 2005, 10:02:37 AM

Gamblour.

Quote from: pete on January 14, 2006, 10:23:57 AM
sorry, I just woke up.  It was late at night and I accidentally mistook you for neon.  I'm serious.  I totally did.  And I was all like, neon's a good sport and he can take one for the huge greasy neocon grease machine.
sorry man.
haha, if I weren't insulted you mistook me for neon, I'd forgive you completely.

just kidding neon, you greasy thug.
WWPTAD?

Pozer

MacGuffin

:yabbse-angry:

Warner Bros. develops remake of classic 'Gaslight'

Warner Bros. Pictures is developing a remake of "Gaslight," the 1944 thriller that starred Charles Boyer as a husband trying to drive his bride, played by Ingrid Bergman, insane, the studio said on Thursday.

British filmmaker Joe Wright, who directed the recent big-screen adaptation of Jane Austen's "Pride & Prejudice," is lined up to make his American directing debut on the "Gaslight" update, a Warner spokeswoman said.

Abi Morgan, the writer behind the 2004 British television miniseries "Sex Traffic," plans to write the new "Gaslight" screenplay, which will be set in contemporary California instead of gloomy Victorian London, the spokeswoman said.

The Time Warner Inc.-owned studio has acquired rights to the underlying source material for the film and given the go-ahead for development of a script. No money has been earmarked for production and no casting choices have been made.

The "Gaslight" development deal was first reported by Hollywood trade publication Daily Variety.

The 1944 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer classic, like the lesser-known 1940 British version that preceded it, was adapted from a 1938 British stage play by Patrick Hamilton.

The MGM picture, directed by George Cukor, starred Boyer as a sinister husband who systematically tries to drive his fragile young wife crazy, in order to gain control of her family's jewels.

The movie co-starred Joseph Cotten and Angela Lansbury, who was making her feature debut at the age of 17.

The popular phrase "to gaslight" someone -- meaning to manipulate someone's environment to trick the person into thinking he or she is insane -- was derived from the film's premise.

MGM's "Gaslight" garnered seven Academy Award nominations, winning Oscars for Bergman as best actress and for the film's art direction. Bergman also won a Golden Globe for her role.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Mangold and Konrad Walk to YUMA
Their Walk the Line scored five Oscar nods, and now the husband-and-wife team of James Mangold and Cathy Konrad will remake 3:10 to Yuma for Columbia Pictures. Source: FilmStew.com

James Mangold and his wife, Cathy Konrad, have plans after Oscar night. The director and producer, respectively, of Walk the Line have signed up to direct a remake of the 1957 Glenn Ford Western 3:10 to Yuma based on a story by Elmore Leonard for Columbia Pictures.

Principal Photography is scheduled to begin this summer, with no casting as yet. In fact, the team of Mangold and Konrad have a full dance card at present no matter which way the Academy Awards go next month. They've got a remake of the British thriller Mute Witness in the pipeline at Universal Pictures, as well as an adaptation of the novel The Rich Part of Life about a widowed Chicago college professor who wins a big lottery.that's at Fox 2000.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

SKorean director to remake John Woo cult classic

Director John Woo's cult classic "A Better Tomorrow", which launched the career Hollywood star Chow Yun-fat, is reportedly to be remade with a South Korean director at the helm.

The remake of the violent 1986 gangster flick will be directed by "Marathon" director Jeong Yoon-Chul in a joint production between a Hong Kong and a South Korean film company, Apple Daily reported here.

The lead roles will be played by Hong Kong heartthrob Louis Koo and South Korean pop sensation Rain, real name Jung Ji-hoon.

The report said the Korean company will provide most of the investment in the movie which will be filmed mainly in Seoul but also in Hong Kong and mainland China.

The movie will cost about 100 million Hong Kong dollars (12.8 million US), and filming will begin this summer, the newspaper said.

The Hong Kong company, Mei Ah Entertainment, told the paper that the film will be in Korean although the project is currently at a preliminary stage.

"A Better Tomorrow", which swept the box offices in parts of Asia in the 1980s, tells the story of a reforming ex-gangster who tries to reconcile with his estranged policeman brother.

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

A made for television Network remake?

http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=72635&section=artstravel

Quote"Network" will be remade for television by CBS. Although the rumor of such a project has been around for years, Les Moonves, CEO of the Tiffany Network, made it official at The TV Critics Convention in Pasadena a few weeks back.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

hedwig

Quote from: squints on March 01, 2006, 12:11:58 AM
A made for television Network remake?

http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=72635&section=artstravel

Quote"Network" will be remade for television by CBS. Although the rumor of such a project has been around for years, Les Moonves, CEO of the Tiffany Network, made it official at The TV Critics Convention in Pasadena a few weeks back.

WHAT?! Fuck that shit.  :yabbse-angry:

Pubrick

some guest on letterman should tell dave to tell les to stop this madness. it'd be their last appearance, but it'd be worth it.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Travolta, Latifah Set for Hairspray
Musical casting announced.

John Travolta and Queen Latifah are confirmed for the big-screen redo of the Broadway musical Hairspray.  New Line says the pair have signed on the dotted line for the flick and will portray Edna Turnblad and Motormouth Maybelle respectively.

Hairspray is based on the 2002 Tony Award-winning Broadway musical, which was itself based on John Waters' cult 1988 movie of the same name about star-struck teenagers on a local Baltimore dance show.

Adam Shankman (The Pacifier, Bringing Down the House) is directing with Marc Shaiman (Sleepless in Seattle) and Scott Wittman contributing songs to their existing Tony Award winning score.

The studio is currently conducting a nationwide casting search for a newcomer to play the lead role of Tracy Turnblad in the film. Production is set to get underway this Fall with a Summer 2007 release eyed.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i hope this is as good as The Producers (2005)!

i didnt actually see it, but c'mon.  you know?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Benicio Hungry Like The Wolf Man
Oscar winner in horror remake.

Variety reports that Oscar winner Benicio Del Toro is set to star as the title character in Universal's remake of their 1941 classic, The Wolf Man. Andrew Kevin Walker (Se7en) is writing the screenplay.

Del Toro, reportedly a collector of Wolf Man memorabilia, will also produce the pic along with Scott Stuber, Rick Yorn, Mary Parent.

Universal hopes the project will start filming in early 2007 for a summer '08 release.

The trade reveals that the new Wolf Man, like the Lon Chaney original, "will be set in Victorian England. Del Toro will play a man who returns from America to his ancestral homeland, gets bitten by a werewolf and begins a hairy moonlight existence. Walker spent several months working on some frightening new twists to a familiar tale, adding several characters and plot points that take advantage of cutting-edge visual effects technology."

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i thought Wolf was the wolfman update?  oh well, i will see this cause Wolfman rules. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

Quote from: modage on March 15, 2006, 07:35:03 PM
oh well, i will see this cause Wolfman rules. 

And that's why they keep remaking shit.

grand theft sparrow

MacGuffin

The Remake That Wouldn't Fly

This might be fresh news to many of you, but apparently Fox Searchlight has its heart set on mounting a fresh remake of The Fly ... only they're not exactly sure what it is they want to re-make. Do they want to head back to the source and "re-imagine" the short story by George Langelaan? Maybe they'd like a "re-do" on Kurt Neumann's 1958 adaptation or (perish the thought) David Cronenberg's 1986 remake? Heck, there's even a bunch of lame-duck sequels (Return of the Fly ('59), Curse of the Fly ('65), The Fly 2 ('89)) that are perfectly worthy of cannibalization.

One man who's probably not all that interested anymore is newcomer Todd Lincoln, a guy who's currently banging out a flick called Hack/Slash for Focus -- and who also (along with his partner, Martin Schenk) penned the first screenplay for Searchlight's impending Fly retread. Over at Fangoria, Mr. Lincoln somewhat immodestly describes his script as "a dark, smooth mixture of Val Lewton, Don Siegel and Roman Polanski," before explaining that the plan was to do a new take on Langelaan's original story. No fly head on a man's body, no telepods, no Brundlefly. The guy's screenplay actually sounded pretty cool ... but wouldn't you know it? "Last I heard, the people behind the people at the studio had changed their minds again and are leaning toward a straightforward remake," says Lincoln.

Skeleton FilmWorks