Remake Remake Fucking Remake

Started by modage, March 05, 2005, 10:02:37 AM

modage

for all your remake news and boy, is there a lot of it.

Brad Anderson in Talks for The Crazies
Source: Fangoria March 5, 2005

Scott Kosar, screenwriter of Paramount's The Crazies, tells Fangoria that the studio is in talks with Brad Anderson to direct the remake of George Romero's horror-thriller. Anderson and Kosar last teamed-up for The Machinist, which starred Christian Bale.

"I don't know if it's going to happen just yet, but they're talking about it," said Kosar, "My producers really loved 'The Machinist' and Brad is super-talented, and they think we have good creative energy together, which we do."

The film will update the storyline of the 1972 original, in which inhabitants of a small Pennsylvania town are beset by death and insanity after a plane crash lets loose a secret biological weapon into the water supply.

Kosar's credits include New Line's The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and MGM/Dimension's upcoming remake of The Amityville Horror.

Nicolas Cage's Next is The Wicker Man
Source: Variety March 4, 2005

Nicolas Cage's next picture will be director Neil LaBute's remake of 1973 thriller The Wicker Man, with Millennium Films, Equity Pictures and Emmett/Furla Films producing, reports Variety.

LaBute adapted the screenplay, in which a sheriff investigates the disappearance of a young girl on a remote island off the coast of Maine. His hopes of unraveling the girl's disappearance become increasingly uncertain when he discovers evidence of pagan rituals.

The movie will begin production July 15 in Vancouver. Cage is currently shooting comic book adaptation Ghost Rider in Melbourne.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

All I want is for Neil LaBute to come back to form. In just two years, he made 2 of the best films in the 90s and hasn't gone nowhere near an equivalent since. I have hope for this one, but I also have a tendecy to think it won't really accomplish the job.

modage

if you've seen the original Wicker Man... its pretty nutty to say the least.  i can only imagine what he and Cage will do with it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Quote from: themodernage02for all your remake news and boy, is there a lot of it.
Why not in this thread?

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetIn just two years, he made 2 of the best films in the 90s and hasn't gone nowhere near an equivalent since.
Do you actually think In the Company of Men is one of them?

modage

Quote from: ono mo cuishle
Quote from: themodernage02for all your remake news and boy, is there a lot of it.
Why not in this thread?
because that includes all general "i cant believe how dumb this movie sounds" news like Snakes on a Plane, and this is only to show the staggering number of remake news that comes up.  and because i have a special hatred of them on the whole, hence the title.

MacGuffin

HAIRSPRAY Digs Crystal
If negotiations go as planned, Billy Crystal could take on the role of Wilbur Turnblad in New Line's updated Hairspray feature. Source: FilmStew.com

Billy Crystal married to John Travolta? It could happen on the big screen if Crystal completes negotiations to play Wilbur Turnblad in New Line's new film version of Hairspray. John Travolta is reportedly in talks to play Edna Turnblad, a role played on Broadway by Harvey Fierstein and Bruce Vilanch.

Crystal is currently starring on Broadway in his autobiographical play 700 Sundays.

Dick Latessa won a Tony Award in 2003 for his performance as Wilbur Turnblad in the Broadway musical.

In addition, it's reported that Aretha Franklin is in negotiations to play R&B record shop owner Motormouth Maybelle. But New Line says no official casting decisions will be made until writer Leslie Dixon (Mrs. Doubtfire) finishes the script. Shooting on the film could begin as soon as September.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cowboykurtis

The Wicker Man seems like a very odd choice for labute -- an ill-conceived choice in my opinion. His directing sensibilties do not fit with this story. There are certain films you dont remake - this is almost as bad as the rumored straw dogs remake. Who do these guys think they are?
...your excuses are your own...

GoneSavage

I'll never be in full support of remakes but after the last few years I've just learned to call off my guns and accept the fact that this is something that I need to get used to.  I love The Crazies and I love the Wicker Man even more.  Christopher Lee was in top fucking form for that.  I will probably see the new Crazies but not The Wicker Man unless I get some strong recommendations for it.  Nothing is sacred and nothing is off limits.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: GoneSavageNothing is sacred and nothing is off limits.

It's fortunate that you are wrong
...your excuses are your own...

GoneSavage

Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: GoneSavageNothing is sacred and nothing is off limits.

It's fortunate that you are wrong
We'll see.

MacGuffin

Blair, Serbedzija, Davis Roll in for 'Fog' Remake

Selma Blair has signed on for the remake of John Carpenter's classic horror-thriller "The Fog" for Revolution Studios.

Also joining the cast are DeRay Davis and Rade Serbedzija.

Rupert Wainwright is directing the film. Cooper Layne is writing the script, based on the 1980 film's screenplay by Carpenter and the late Debra Hill.

"Fog" is set in a Northern California town near where a ship sank about 100 years earlier under mysterious circumstances in a thick, eerie fog. The ghosts of the deceased mariners return from their watery graves to seek revenge. Tom Welling and Maggie Grace also star.

Blair is stepping into the role of a DJ and owner of a lighthouse, originally portrayed by Adrienne Barbeau , who was married to Carpenter at the time.

Davis plays Welling's best friend, and Serbedzija is a priest.

Blair's upcoming films include "Pretty Persuasion" and "The Alibi." She will shoot "Hellboy II" after she completes "Fog."

Davis, who appeared in "Barbershop" and "Barbershop 2," will soon begin a recurring role on HBO's "Entourage."

Serbedzija's credits include "Mission: Impossible 2," "Snatch," "Eyes Wide Shut" and "Before the Rain."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

Quote from: Slimepuppy had a premonition in the oldboy thread andI live in eager anticipation of the inevitable, crap, Americanized and sanitized remake

Has anyone noticed this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425320/

I mean, for fuck's sake.
WWPTAD?

Cecil

why isnt anyone remaking Triumph Of The Will?

Ravi

"Trivia: The original version was a Korean language film based on a Japanese comic book, will be remade by Taiwanese director from Orange County, California."

Quotewhy isnt anyone remaking Triumph Of The Will?

Just watch Fox News.

modage

Glen Morgan to Remake Black Christmas
Source: Variety , The Hollywood Reporter March 31, 2005

Copper Heart Entertainment has announced that 2929 Productions has picked up the right to the 1974 horror film "Black Christmas" with James Wong and Glenn Morgan, creators of "Final Destination", to produce the film. Morgan will write and direct the remake after the duo finishes up "Cheating Death: Final Destination 3", which is currently filming in Vancouver. Previously, Morgan had directed the 2003 remake of the '70s horror film "Willard" with Crispin Glover.

The original "Black Christmas" was directed by Bob Clark ("Porky's") and starred Olympia Hussey, Keir Dullea, and Margot Kidder. It was a precursor to the slasher flicks like "Friday the 13th" and "Halloween" as it showed what happened when a sorority house was terrorized by a killer over Christmas break.