best films about serial killers

Started by pete, January 24, 2004, 07:50:28 PM

Chest Rockwell

I'll agree with everyone so far, especially on American Psycho, SotL. I also kinda liked From Hell (despite the name). I think Serial Mom is the obvious choice, however.

snaporaz

in my opinion, american psycho was a poor adaptation. an o.k. movie, but a poor adaptation.

kotte

Quote from: snaporazin my opinion, american psycho was a poor adaptation. an o.k. movie, but a poor adaptation.

Why?

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: snaporazin my opinion, american psycho was a poor adaptation. an o.k. movie, but a poor adaptation.

Based on that same logic wouldn't something like Lord of the Rings suck? I've never read American Psycho, so I don't rightly know if there any misinterpretation errors or anything like that...but I just know a lot of people have beefs with a lot of movies simply because the movie had to lop off a third (or more) of the book, and I think that's bullshit. It seems to me we need to analyze a movie as a movie and not as an adaptation.

EDIT: DISREDARD THIS POST, PLEASE

pete

why are you so angry man?  you haven't even read the book yet so you don't even know what he's talking about, then you go on attacking fanboys of other books who dis the other movies.  chill dude, let him finish first at least.  Or read the book.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Chest Rockwell

I apologize, I did not mean for it to sound angry. Hidden under all that semi-angry-but-not-directed-at-him ranting is a wuestion as to why he feels it a poor adaptation. Again I apologize, I only took that moment to digress in my feelings of people doing that, because I loathe it so much. So Snaporaz, sorry if my last post offended you in any way, and I also apologize to anyone else again for any offense. I'll try to further separate rantings from responses next time.

rustinglass

There is a very good portuguese film, "rasganço", not exactly about a serial killer. It's the true story about a serial kidnapper and rapist. He hated the university comunity in Coimbra and cut messages on his victim's breasts.
trailer:
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Julius Orange

This is a good thread but once i read the title and i thought it said "Best Things About Serial Killers" and i felt frightened.

Thanks
email your opinnumber to NEW EMAIL juliusorange@gmail.com

snaporaz

Quote from: Chest RockwellI apologize, I did not mean for it to sound angry. Hidden under all that semi-angry-but-not-directed-at-him ranting is a wuestion as to why he feels it a poor adaptation. Again I apologize, I only took that moment to digress in my feelings of people doing that, because I loathe it so much. So Snaporaz, sorry if my last post offended you in any way, and I also apologize to anyone else again for any offense. I'll try to further separate rantings from responses next time.

well, no, i wasn't offended.

i had the luck of reading the book some time before the film came out, so maybe i'm biased, but basically i felt that the filmmakers handled the film too light-heartedly. and i know it's supposed to be satiric and darkly comic, but it just came off too much like a light comedy.

also, there were many scenes about the stuff partrick bateman would do alone, in his spare time. much of it hilarious, and much more really disturbing, and i felt that those scenes were pretty great and would have made the film a bit more interesting to watch instead of the usual "80's socialite-scene" played throughout the film. and just alot of other funny stuff in general was left out. my favourite being where bateman and evelyn [or courtney?] are at a restaurant, and he goes to the bathroom and gets a urinal cake and takes it to the chef and tells him to dress it up and present it on a platter to the girl, as if it were desert. she eats it, and says it's "minty".

but anyways, unlike lots of other people, i do not think the film itself is bad just because the adaptation from novel to film isn't what i hoped for. the film itself is fine, and a good watch. but my opinion that the film is just that and not fucking awesome has nothing to do with it's differences from the book.

i've gotten into arguments with other people about that very same logic. why some people can think a movie is bad just because it's different from it's original source, no matter how well-crafted the film itself can be... it's pretty ridiculous.

SHAFTR

what about
Ed Gein or Dahmer?

haha, Ed Gein was bad.

Lets not forget Seven & Dirty Harry.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

snaporaz

what about really bad serial killer movies, like copycat and the bone collector.

Henry Hill

I recommend THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, starring Robert Mitchum.  :yabbse-thumbup:

cine

modage

Quote from: CinephileMonster.

Period.
is it really that good?  i keep going back and forth between being interested in seeing it or not.  i am curious to see Charlize performance, but dont think i'll like the movie.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

"The Minus Man", kiddos.  "The Minus Man".
My house, my rules, my coffee