2013 Xixax Awards: NOMINATE!

Started by Jeremy Blackman, March 03, 2013, 06:23:08 PM

Jeremy Blackman

WELCOME TO THE 2013 XIXAX AWARDS!

It's time to nominate!

Send your votes in via PM, following the rules (please). The deadline is Friday, March 22nd.

If you're not sure which category something belongs in, ask here and we will answer. Remember, our acting awards are a little unusual — "supporting" roles are truly the smaller roles. The "best performance" categories could encompass, for example, 3-4 characters in an ensemble cast with roughly equal characters. (Note that we DON'T have "leading" performances.)

Any trailer released in 2012 is eligible for Best Trailer even if the film was not released in 2012.  You should also try to specify Teaser or Trailer if there were several different versions released.

THE RULES:

YOU MUST
1. vote privately:
. . . .If your username begins begins with A-H (or #), send your ballot to Jeremy Blackman
. . . .If your username begins begins with I-P, send your ballot to Pubrick
. . . .If your username begins begins with Q-Z, send your ballot to polkablues
2. copy the form provided below and paste it into your PM
3. only list the movie in each category, not the person who would win (unless it's an acting category)
4. specify the actor and movie (for the acting categories), like this: Actor - "Movie"
5. use the most common title with foreign films (ask if you're not sure)
6. use full titles ("Tree of Life" instead of "TOL")
7. (for the DVD category) specify the original theatrical release date if there are different versions or remakes
8. nominate titles in alphabetical order
9. title your PM "nominations" (please!)

YOU SHOULD
1. be honest
2. vote based on personal opinion (not strategically)

YOU CAN'T
1. nominate more than 5 movies per category
2. send more than one ballot
3. vote from different memberships
4. write your nominations with caps lock on
5. nominate publicly
6. change your ballot after the deadline

YOU CAN
1. nominate fewer than 5 per category (whatever you're comfortable with)
2. leave whole categories blank
3. nominate box sets in the Best DVD Release category
4. campaign for your favorites

Here is a reminder list of eligible films from 2012:

http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/rules/reminderlist.html

------------------------------------------------------------------

copy and paste....

BEST FILM
-
-
-
-
-   

BEST DIRECTOR
-
-
-
-
-   

BEST FEMALE PERFORMANCE
-
-
-
-
-   

BEST MALE PERFORMANCE
-
-
-
-
-   

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE PERFORMANCE
-
-
-
-
-   

BEST SUPPORTING MALE PERFORMANCE
-
-
-
-
-   

BEST SCREENPLAY
-
-
-
-
-   

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
-
-
-
-
-   

BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC
-
-
-
-
-     

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
-
-
-
-
-   

BEST DEBUT FILM
-
-
-
-
-   

BEST DOCUMENTARY
-
-
-
-
-   

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
-
-
-
-
-   

BEST DVD RELEASE
-
-
-
-
-   

BEST TRAILER
-
-
-
-
-   

BEST FILM POSTER
-
-
-
-
-   

BEST TV SHOW
-
-
-
-
-   

WORST FILM
-
-
-
-
-   

BEST FILM OF 2011 (REDUX)
-

classical gas

What about "The Kid with a Bike"?  Imdb has it opening in the US in 2012.  Or "A Separation" which opened with a limited release on Dec. 30 2011?     

polkablues

I hereby grant those two films eligibility.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Derek

It might be interesting to show the runners-up (runner-ups?) for these. Obviously The Master will take everything.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

polkablues

Quote from: Derek on March 03, 2013, 08:00:11 PM
It might be interesting to show the runners-up (runner-ups?) for these. Obviously The Master will take everything.

"Runners-up" is correct.  And I'm inclined to agree.

Kellen

Is the film Lore eligible? I didn't see it anywhere on the oscar link but they did try to get it a foreign language nomination.

polkablues

I would say probably not.  In general, we tend to go by the US theatrical release date (typically not counting film festivals), which in this case was just last month.  In the interest of giving the most people the greatest opportunity to see the film, I would be inclined to hold its eligibility to next year's awards.

Lottery

Alphabetically. So 'The Movie' or 'Movie, The'?
Wait, I'm most definitely over-thinking this.

Also, about the actors- in a movie like Lincoln, where half the world acts in it, would someone like David Strathairn belong in Supporting or the main acting category? And would someone like Scoot McNairy or Ben Mendelssohn in Killing Them Softly belong in Best Male Performance? Or Dwight Henry in Beasts of the Southern Wild? It's just a little confusing.

Reel

well, it's that time of the year again when I realize I haven't seen shit:

Life Of Pi
Zero Dark Thirty
The Hobbit
Cloud Atlas
Killer Joe
Magic Mike
The Paperboy
Paranorman
The Sessions
Seven Psychopaths

I gotta at least watch those first 2 before I get my vote in...

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

polkablues

Quote from: Lottery on March 04, 2013, 01:29:16 AM
Alphabetically. So 'The Movie' or 'Movie, The'?
Wait, I'm most definitely over-thinking this.

Yeah, just use your better judgement.  Anyone questioning their better judgment is free to borrow mine.

Quote from: Lottery on March 04, 2013, 01:29:16 AM
Also, about the actors- in a movie like Lincoln, where half the world acts in it, would someone like David Strathairn belong in Supporting or the main acting category? And would someone like Scoot McNairy or Ben Mendelssohn in Killing Them Softly belong in Best Male Performance? Or Dwight Henry in Beasts of the Southern Wild? It's just a little confusing.

In the case of Lincoln, because the surrounding cast is spread so thin, I would say that anybody except DDL and Sally Field fit in the supporting categories. 

Killing Them Softly, I'd say both of them go in the main acting category, along with Pitt.  Others, like Richard Jenkins, Ray Liotta, or Gandolfini probably fit in supporting.  That's a tough one, though; Mendelssohn is right on the edge.  You know what, I changed my mind.  McNairy and Pitt are leads and Mendelssohn is supporting.  I'd like the dude to have a chance.

I haven't seen Beasts yet.  Dwight Henry plays the dad, right?  Main category.

If anyone has strong opinions about any of this categorization, please speak up and we can hash it out.  It might do us good to get a little cheat sheet going for some of these movies regarding which actors to nominate in which categories.

Jeremy Blackman

In terms of alphabetization, just do it like this:

Boogie Nights
The Master
Punch-Drunk Love

Doing it wrong is not going to disqualify you or anything. These are more like strong suggestions that make counting a lot easier for us.

squints

So should i put Kill List for this year or the redux
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

polkablues

If we're going by the US theatrical release date standard, Kill List is 2012.