Conan's the man!

Started by ono, October 16, 2003, 11:38:17 PM

cine

Pubrick

it's way thicker than that.

it's a very good beard. in fact both of them, even his producer jeff is sporting a good one.

what i wanna know is how come dave gets to hav writers?? i know he owns his show but how does that change the writer's predicament? answer in the strike thread or the man of letter's thread.. IF YOU CARE DARE.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

As a facial hair afficionado I can attest to how difficult it is to not only grow a good beard, but maintain it as well. I can guarantee that the reason these two have grown beards is because everyone wants one, but not everyone has the time and means to go into hiding for a couple months to grow it out till it's at a respectable appearance and length. Beards grow strange. The right side may grow 10 times faster and longer than the right or it may have a weird discoloration or smell and having to be on TV 5 days a night there is no chance you can grow that beard out without having to look like a fucking freak for the first couple months.  You'll get blacklisted and lose your gig!

BUT, if you can go into hiding (as these two did) for awhile and grow it out in private until each side reaches the length and color you like and until it is time to unveil you are on the straight and narrow. Not everyone has the time nor means to get it done.

On the other side, If you're batshit crazy you can go about your business even when your beard is at it's worst. See Mel Gibson and Orson Welles. 
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gamblour.

I've never read such a cogent analysis of beards. I feel dumb for wondering why Letterman never had one before.
WWPTAD?

Gold Trumpet

It's a good beard for Conan. My problem is that I have blonde hair but grow beards as red as his. I use to be self conscious about it but now I'm just proud to be irish.

I'm also lazy so I usually have a beard because shaving everyday sucks.

polkablues

My beard growth makes Orlando Bloom's look like Zach Galifianakis'.   :yabbse-sad:

That said, Conan's beard gives him gravitas, while Dave's makes him look like the great-uncle that you're careful not to leave alone with your kids.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

Quote from: polkablues on January 04, 2008, 12:00:41 AM
My beard growth makes Orlando Bloom's look like Zach Galifianakis'.   :yabbse-sad:

Worse than Marky Mark's in "The Perfect Storm"?

WWPTAD?

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

My beard is almost the same in color (a little more orange than red) as Conan's, but not as full... it's kind of between those two guys.

You know what a beard takes?  Bravery and dedication.  If you're the type that can grow a beard in two days because you have amazingly rich facial hair, I envy you and you owe it to yourself to have a beard for at least a couple months, but if you're like me and have spots on your face that don't push hair our like the rest, just stick with it, eventually, it will all grow out and kind of even out.  It just takes putting up with knowing your look like a meth addict (or in my case, some kind of meth-addicted viking hipster) for a few weeks... once that's done with though, just burn the pictures and enjoy your beard.

Fernando

I don't know where else to put this so:

From AICN.

ON JANUARY 10, RIVAL LATE-NIGHT HOSTS JAY LENO AND JIMMY KIMMEL ARE SCHEDULED TO HIT EACH OTHER'S COUCHES ON THE SAME NIGHT.

One Good Turn Deserves Another as Popular Late Night Hosts Reciprocate Guest Bookings on Each Other's Shows in Rare Dual Appearances

BURBANK -- January 7, 2008 -- Has television's vaunted "Late Night War" softened? On Thursday, January 10, NBC's "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" (Monday-Friday, 11:35 p.m. - 12:37 a.m. ET) will welcome rival late-night host Jimmy Kimmel to the famed couch in Burbank. In return -- on the same night -- Leno will make a trip across town to take a seat on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" (Monday - Friday, 12:05 a.m. - 1:05 a.m. ET on ABC) during its taping in Hollywood.

"There are only three or five people in the world that know how tough this job is," said Leno of the swap. "Jimmy is one of them. It will be fun to discuss who's a good guest, who's a difficult guest and everything else that comes with sitting behind these desks."

Kimmel said, "If Jay and I can come together and guest on each other's shows, then surely there is hope for peace in the Middle East."

"The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" is from Big Dog Productions in association with Universal Media Studios.

"Jimmy Kimmel Live" is shot live in front of a studio audience and produced by Jackhole Industries in association with ABC Studios.

Kal

dude... anybody seen colbert and stewart fighiting with conan on late night? that was awesome... i love these strike-improv-shows!!

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Fallon to Replace Conan as Late Night Host
Source: Fox News

NBC wasn't expected to announce it until next month, but word has leaked to Fox News that Jimmy Fallon is set to take Conan O'Brien's job as host of "Late Night" in 2009 when O'Brien takes over "The Tonight Show" from Jay Leno, who is leaving as host in May, 2009.

Fox News' Roger Friedman writes:

There's much debate about letting Leno leave NBC etc., but right now let's just concentrate on Jimmy. He's the perfect successor to Conan and should have just as big an audience when he takes the reins. Fallon is one of those great underrated performers. This should be the right milieu for him.

Fallon, who recently married producer Nancy Juvonen, is said to be thrilled and ready, if not a little scared, about taking Conan's desk. He still has to pick a producer and a band, among other things.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

O'Brien takes 'Tonight' next summer
Host steps in for Leno on June 1, 2009

The latenight regime change at the Peacock is set for June 1, 2009.

Conan O'Brien will take over "The Tonight Show" on that Monday night, following the end of Jay Leno's 16-year run on the show on Friday, May 29.

After that, it's still anyone's guess whether Leno will decide to stay at the Peacock. NBC execs told reporters Monday — as well as Leno, disguised as a TV critic, that they're not ready to lose him to ABC.

"We can't force him to do something," said NBC Entertainment/Universal Media Studios co-chair Marc Graboff, who added later, "Our goal is to work with him and come up with an alternative than telling jokes in late night at 11:30. We believe there's room on a regular basis for him to be on our air."

Graboff admitted that the Peacock knew that Leno wasn't happy with having to depart "Tonight," which continues to dominate late-night ratings.

And Leno as of late has provided plenty of hints on air and in interviews that he's less than pleased with having to go. He recently joked on-air about a move to ABC, and told USA Today that "I am definitely done this year – with NBC."

NBC also elaborated on its transitional plans for "Late Night." As mentioned by exec producer Lorne Michaels on Sunday, new host Jimmy Fallon will begin testing the show online toward the end of this year. Current host O'Brien will exit at the start of 2009 in order to prep for "Tonight"; reruns will air until Fallon goes live sometime in the spring.

"We made our decision and we're happy with it," Graboff said. "We're confident the 'Tonight Show' will continue to be dominant in its time period."

Despite the rampant talk that he's ready to bolt the Peacock, Leno himself – made up in a bald cap and fake goatee to look like a middle-aged reporter – played good sport and showed up to the TV Critics Assn. press tour, asking the first question during Graboff's and fellow co-chairman Ben Silverman's Q and A with reporters.

It took some crix a while to catch on that the "reporter" asking about Leno's contract was actually Leno himself. Leno asked the NBC honchos about what would happen if the host had a change of heart.

"Everyone's entitled to change their mind," Silverman said. "But that puts management in an impossible situation."

Still in disguise, Leno also asked if it were true that he was offered the fifth hour of "Today" –a joke – and if he'd be paid through the end of 2009 – which is true.

That also means that Leno, should he depart the Peacock, wouldn't be available to join ABC or any other outlet until the start of 2010.

Graboff said Leno showed up in an attempt to remind everyone that he played a role in the transition plan (first announced four years ago) and that he's "not bitter."

"He wants to make it as smooth a transition as possible," Graboff said. "He doesn't want Conan to go through what he went through in 1992... We'll respect Jay to the end, he's a class act. We'll do whatever we can and whatever he wants."

In other Peacock news, NBC confirmed that Amy Poehler's new series will not be a spinoff of "The Office" (Daily Variety, June 12). Exec producers Greg Daniels and Michael Schur will continue to develop an "Office" spinoff, but put it on the backburner to focus on the Poehler piece.

Details of the Poehler laffer still haven't been revealed; but with star Poehler set to give birth in the coming months, show won't be ready to air post-Super Bowl, as originally scheduled. NBC's still deciding new "Super Bowl" lead-out plans, but "The Office" is a contender.

Also at the session, NBC announced that it would once again hold its advertiser upfront presentation – which it dubbed the "infront" – in April. Peacock is still mulling its plans for the traditional May upfront week.

Earlier in the day, NBC Universal Sports and Olympics chairman Dick Ebersol spoke from Beijing via satellite, and admitted that access to spots like Tiananmen Square isn't as open as he'd like – but that nonetheless, the Chinese government has come a long way.

"China's new to the world in terms of any level of openness," Ebersol said. "I clearly see change, it's a whole kind of learning experience for them. As shown by the recent earthquake they're capable of openness."

The fact that NBC will be able to broadcast for six to seven hours from Tiananmen Square is a "starting point," he said. "Would we like more? Of course we would... I'm not naïve but it's a starting point, which I don't believe would be happening if the Olympics weren't here."

Ebersol recounted broadcasting live last year in Tiananmen Square to cover the year-out Olympics ceremony and encountering a senior Chinese TV official. The official pointed at the Peacock's own satellite and said, "This is the beginning of change for us."

With the big possibility of major non-Olympic news coming out of the Games, Ebersol pointed out that NBC News is sending its heavy hitters to Beijing, including Brian Williams, the "Today" team and Tom Brokaw.

"If something develops here, if this becomes a news story other than Olympic events, were certainly ready to cover them," he said. "We won't cavalierly blow out sporting events to show news. But at the opening ceremony we have our own cameras there, and the news and sports people will be ready to comment on that."

During the NBC News/MSNBC session, division president Steve Capus dismissed criticism that the cabler hasn't drawn a line between its opinionated on-air hosts like Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews and its campaign coverage, which is anchored by the two.

"This is not a new strategy," Capus said. "Keith and Chris anchored before. The audience gets it. That's the single biggest factor. The audience understands the roles these guys have played. They play it right down the middle on election night."

Olbermann then chimed in, calling "Fox News Sunday" host Chris Wallace – who blasted the channel during an earlier press tour session – for being "a little underinformed on this."

Olbermann said Fox News Channel hosts including Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity and Alan Colmes were also seen quite a bit on that network during primary coverage.

"What his statement is based on is something his network was doing, with less of an acknowledgement that those roles need to be separated," he said. "We did this in 2006 and I don't remember reading one thing that something we were doing was wrong."

Meanwhile, NBC made yet another change to its fall sked, opting to double pump returning skein "Life" the week of Sept. 29 and Oct. 6.

"Life" will air at 10 p.m. on those Monday nights, in addition to the show's regular Friday slots on Oct. 3 and Oct. 10.

That bumps "My Own Worst Enemy," which had been slated to air starting Sept. 29, to Monday, Oct. 13. Later date for "Enemy" is also timed to the launch of a new GM product; the auto manufacturer is a integration partner on the show.

Net also confirmed plans to move "Kath & Kim" to 8:30 p.m. on Thursdays; show will still launch Oct. 9. That means the special Thursday night editions of "Saturday Night Live" will air on Oct. 9, 16 and 23 at 9:30, followed by the preem of "30 Rock" in the post-"The Office" slot on Sept. 30.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

NBC Reveals Conan Exit Date, Jimmy Start Date

Conan O'Brien will officially be out of work come Feb. 20.

NBC just announced that date as the last O'Brien-hosted Late Night. New overlord Jimmy Fallon will take over the desk beginning March 2.

O'Brien, who has been the Late Night ringleader for 15 years, won't be needing unemployment, though. In NBC's version of musical chairs, he's due to assume Tonight Show duties on June 1, three days after Jay Leno signs off .

Leno will ultimately resurface in the Peacock's prime-time lineup next fall, fronting The Jay Leno Show weeknights at 10 p.m.

Fallon, meanwhile, continues to hone his shtick online at NBC.com.

Skeleton FilmWorks