Raw

Started by Jeremy Blackman, December 22, 2016, 06:28:10 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Plot: When a young vegetarian undergoes a carnivorous hazing ritual at vet school, an unbidden taste for meat begins to grow in her. (imdb)
Release: March 10, 2017

Written & Directed by Julia Ducournau

Toronto: Multiple Moviegoers Pass Out During Screening of Cannibal Movie 'Raw'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/toronto-multiple-moviegoers-pass-screening-928431

"The film became too much for a couple patrons," said Ryan Werner, who is handling the film's marketing on the ground at TIFF.

A Midnight Madness screening of the cannibal film Raw turned into a medical scene early Tuesday morning as paramedics were called to treat multiple audience members who had passed out.

"An ambulance had to be called to the scene as the film became too much for a couple patrons," said Ryan Werner, who is handling the film's marketing on the ground at the Toronto Film Festival and was at the screening.

The graphic film has become a must-see for horror fans after taking the FIPRESCI Critics' Prize in May at the Cannes Film Festival, where it made its world premiere without incident.

The mobbed screening also had top agents and managers on hand jockeying for the attention of director Julia Ducournau, who is currently unsigned.

The French-language film about a vegetarian college student who slowly becomes a cannibal became one of the most buzzed-about European films out of Cannes for its potential to cross over with U.S. audiences (Focus World bought the film out of Cannes).

Raw will next screen at Fantastic Fest, followed by Mayhem Film Festival, Celluloid Screams, Beyond Fest and the Sitges Film Festival.

Werner said he had only seen this type of physical reaction to a movie before with Lars von Trier's Antichrist.

polkablues

Nice to see horror film marketers are still trotting out the good old "This movie is so shocking it makes people pass out" routine.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

That does seem dubious.

I'm still really intrigued by the concept, though, even as not a huge horror fan.

Jeremy Blackman

polkablues

The movie looks great, and I'm not even negative about the phony marketing ploy; it's paying homage to the classics, in a way.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

This trailer is probably not for the faint of heart.

pete

so good - one of my faves. between this and Get Out we're off to a very good start. i think we're in a mini-renaissance of interesting horror films. it's like what the gangster genre went thru in the 90s but with horror, which is an infinitely more malleable form.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Robyn

there was very specific ideas and scenarios in this that I've written in my own script about cannibalism. it was eerie to watch, like what the hell? I have already written a few of these scenes!

anyway, watch this if you haven't already. it's very good.

Something Spanish

saw it before it left Netflix last month, a provocative little doozy. and that French rap song she lip syncs to was pretty batshit

Robyn

Quote from: Something Spanish on April 17, 2019, 10:57:37 AM
and that French rap song she lip syncs to was pretty batshit

I'm glad it was translated.