What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

Ravi

Received this in the mail earlier this week:

Is there an equivalent of Rotten Tomatoes for book reviews?

Alethia

a third face: my tale of writing, fighting, and filmmaking by
SAMUEL FULLER

read now.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ono

Quote from: petelive from new york.
:yabbse-thumbup:

Me: Inner Views by David Breskin.  Again.

Jeremy Blackman

A book like this should be in every classroom.

Squeo

Jeremy Blackman is my favorite person ever.

coffeebeetle

more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Ravi

I love Anonymous.  Primary Colors was great.

cine

Quote from: RaviI love Anonymous.  Primary Colors was great.
Thanks...

I said too much :yabbse-lipsrsealed:

pete

two books picked up here in Taiwan:
"ten years, one dream"--a conversation with Ang Lee (until crouching tiger).
and "a world of sound and color", a book of photoessays by christopher doyle, greatest living DP today.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

Since this is Columbus Day... a few quotes from the first pages of A People's History of the United States...

"They would make fine servants . . . With fifty men we could subjugate them all and make them do whatever we want (1) . . . As soon as I arrived in the Indies, on the first Island which I found, I took some of the natives by force in order that they might learn and might give me information of whatever there is in these parts" (2)
    [
Columbus, on the Arowak Native Americans]

"The Indians, Columbus reported, 'are so naive and so free with their possessions that no one who has not witnessed them would believe it. When you ask for something they have, they never say no. To the contrary, they offer to share with anyone....' He concluded his report by asking for a little help from their Majesties, and in return he would bring them from his next voyage 'as much gold as they need . . . and as many slaves as they ask.' He was full of religious talk: 'Thus the eternal God, our Lord, gives victory to those who follow His way over apparent impossibilities.'" (4)

"They went from island to island in the Caribbean, taking Indians as captives . . . they had roamed the island in gangs looking for gold, taking women and children as slaves for sex and labor." (4)

"Total control led to total cruelty. The Spaniards 'thought nothing of knifing Indians by tens and twenties and of cutting slices off them to test the sharpness of their blades.' Las Casas tells how 'two of these so-called Christians met two Indian boys one day, each carrying a parrot; they took the parrots and for fun beheaded the boys.'" (6)[/list:u]

Pubrick

what do u want me to do about it
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Umm... don't celebrate Columbus day?

Just Withnail

Coincidentally we Norwegians celebrated Viking Day yesterday.

Nah, we didn't.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanUmm... don't celebrate Columbus day?
Does anyone really celebrate Columbus Day?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.