A Ghost Story

Started by Reel, December 01, 2016, 09:23:54 PM

RegularKarate

This was an amazing shock to the system for me.

I was on board from the beginning, but early on, the film took a turn that caught me off guard emotionally. I became a mess and it wasn't just from sadness. The thing is just so flippin' beautiful.

I don't know if David avoids this thread, but if you're reading, your movies just keep getting better and better and it's astounding.

MAJOR SPOILERS
Quote from: wilder on July 14, 2017, 04:10:16 AM

My jaw hit the floor when the movie came to the shot of the prospector and the following sequence of pioneers. My interpretation was that Casey Affleck lived so long that civilization had destroyed itself, as the partygoer pontificated about a few scenes earlier, and in the far, far future, maybe millions of years ahead, civilization was starting anew and repeating its trajectory in nearly exactly the same way.

Oh, I definitely think that's what happened. This is all clued in by Will Oldham's speech where he says that society will reset themselves and somewhere, someone will be humming Mozart. If you listen to the little pioneer girl, she is humming "I Get Overwhelmed" (a song I haven't stopped listening to since the trailer came out).

wilder

tpfkabi

Ooo, Poltergeist and Under the Skin. I have not even heard of several of the films on this list, so I will have to look into them.

Poltergeist tangent:

When I was watching some of the Ready Player One ComicCon panel thing with Spielberg, I wondered how Steven would react if someone took the mic and asked him about who directed Poltergeist. Now, Tobe is gone. It is pretty weird how PII/III can get nice Scream Factory releases and the most famous of all Poltergeist films, one of the most famous movies of the 80's, can't get jack squat in a nice home video release.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Drenk

Ascension.

Alexandro

this film is a masterpiece.
even with the attention granted to it so far, I don't think it's been properly appreciated.
time will find it growing in stature, I'm sure, because it's just impossible it doesn't.
really, I'm in awe of the whole thing. it was moving, beautiful, funny and eerie, sometimes all at once.
awesome.

Robyn

I haven't seen it yet, but at RYM it listed at #7 over the best films of 2017. I thought that was interesting I guess.

https://rateyourmusic.com/films/chart?year=2017

Jeremy Blackman

Believe the hype. A Ghost Story is a masterpiece.

And for what it's worth, I had noooo idea it was going to those places. I pictured something far simpler and less ambitious. But by the end, this is wonderfully bold. And it played me like a fiddle, as they say. There are jaw-dropping moments in this movie that would not translate at all if you tried to describe them to someone. Funny how that works.

SPOILERS

Absolutely loved every scene that dealt with the passage of time. Rooney Mara looks out the window, but it's two different days. We see multiple Rooneys pass through the door, one by one. And then that headphone scene really got to me. That's when it truly gets great — I was fully on board and delighted till the very end.

Ghostfleck attempts ghost suicide jumping off that building, and I think it's clear that he then loops back in time, perhaps to the first moment that geographical location was used as a home.

The last few seconds killed me. I couldn't think of a more perfect ending.

This eerily reminded me of Inland Empire, which is also a ghost story in which the ghost gets stuck on earth, confused about how much time has passed, and then travels back in time and encounters herself, which triggers an eventual resolution.

Jeremy Blackman

On sale for $5:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/a-ghost-story/id1252853654

Also... SPOILER TALK

I realized this when I saw Last Jedi (spoilers for that movie too). When the ghosts in this movie "move on," their sheets drop just like those Jedi robes. So basically Ghostfleck is a Jedi master who becomes one with the force.

tpfkabi

SPOILERS

One thing I wanted addressed in the commentary was - the door/portal appearing in the hospital - and I believe it was passed over and never talked about.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

jenkins

Variety Oscar Predictions 2018: Who Will Win, Who Could Win

Best Picture
Should have been here: "A Ghost Story"

Directing
Should have been here: "A Ghost Story" (David Lowery)

if it was so definitely a risky film to release then it was of course a risky year of returns, and as far as i can tell the overall reception to A Ghost Story was warm and appreciative.

Reel

To all the Lowery heads out there, " A Ghost Story " has left Netflix and found a new home at Showtime Anytime