What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

private witt

"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

SiliasRuby

I must have read this book multiple times over the past few years and here I go again. I start today on the road I've taken many times before. I don't want to go out because its way too rainy out there.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

SiliasRuby

Gonna start this one tonight:

My Collection

New Feeling

last month I read the big three James M. Cain books, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Double Indemnity, and Mildred Pierce and they were all fantastic and easy reads.  Very highly recommended, especially Postman and Pierce.  Double Indemnity is great too but is a little too similar to Postman.  I was amazed to find how much of a debt the Coen's "The Man Who Wasn't There" owes to all three of these.  Apparently it was their James Cain homagestravaganza.

Currently re-reading the complete J.D. Salinger, and I highly recommend all of his amazing stuff.

also reading 2666 in pieces.  So far so good.   

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

hedwig

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

we are on page 82...anyone care to comment? Or do we not give a fuck anymore about any of that stuff?

My Collection

Fernando

Quote from: SiliasRuby on March 04, 2009, 01:00:36 AM
Knowing this, it could be 81% decent.

ha, when I saw that i thought of posting why not 82..

Redlum

I have to say I was directed to this, in part because of the 'smudge of excriment' scene in Sideways. I haven't enjoyed a book so much in a long time, though. The interlinked narratives really render a rich image of IR's world - there aint a dud among them. I'm about half way through and hoping I get to meet Myrna Minkoff.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Chest Rockwell

cinemanarchist

Reading this on this

Both are pretty freaking great.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

bonanzataz

kindles scare me. i'd prefer to read off a page, thank you.

i haven't started it yet, but it's basically just comparing modern anorexics with nuns who would starve and self-mutilate for jesus throughout history. looks pretty great.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls