What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

mogwai

Heinsbergen

when i was a little kid i wanted to know what caused thunder.

children with angels

Been meaning to read this forever and finally am - really pretty amazing. I love it when an iconic work actually lives up to its reputation.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Pubrick

that book has some great covers.

that is not one of them.
under the paving stones.

children with angels

They were clearly trying to downplay the sexy 12-year-old angle this time - and, honestly, what other angle is there...?
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

w/o horse

Donald Barthelme - Forty Stories

I ditched the social scene on a Friday night to be alone with this one.  And to post here apparently.  And by social scene I mean we were going to go see Lust, Caution.  But man don't let that distract you from my praises for this book, which consists of short stories.  Bring this one into the toilet room.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

godardian

Quote from: children with angels on September 27, 2007, 06:40:05 AM
They were clearly trying to downplay the sexy 12-year-old angle this time - and, honestly, what other angle is there...?

In my first (ever) comparative literature class at University of Washington this summer, we read Lolita as part of a course with an "immigrant (to America) literature" theme. We read it with an eye to Humbert's foreignness to this nation (or perhaps its foreignness to him), and how "European" he is compared/contrasted with how "American" Lolita is. We talked about Nabokov's afterword and how he denies being anti-American, and to what extent we could believe that. (Methinks that if you have to write an afterword pointing out that your novel isn't anti-American, there's something to it.) It might sound like a stretch, but it was a really interesting class, and it was my chance to re-read a fine (and surprisingly FUNNY!) novel. But my next class was even more awesome--"Literary Modernism" with Baudelaire, Rilke, and Eliot for poetry, and Kafka's Metamorphosis, Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway, and André Gide's Les Faux monnayeurs (The Counterfeiters) for narrative fiction. Woolf's novel is fantastic, nothing even close to daintiness or lady's-letters stuff I was expecting; instead, purposely difficult, near-nihilistic modernism.

Currently reading for my current class:

...and in my French class?

...bien sûr!
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

hedwig

Neil

just finished this...

and although I'm not fully recovered i just started...

buckle up.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

pete

really interesting though sometimes he gets wacky and says these wacky things, not herzog wacky, just normal wacky.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

The Perineum Falcon

i'm getting bored and exhausted of my french litterature class, so I've decided to do some pleasure reading.

i've just begun Robert Graves' I, Claudius, which i found even the introduction to be enjoyable reading.

i've also started to collect those 'Conversational [language] in Seven Days!', beginning with Russian. Now there's some light reading.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Pedro

Chest Rockwell