What DVDs should Criterion put out?

Started by CollinBullock, March 18, 2003, 03:02:15 PM

billybrown

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: billybrownIt's amazing though how many commentary tracks Criterion was able to get on that crappy laser disc format from back in the day, and how tough it seems to be for them to rehash them/ get rights, etc., for films on DVD. Sucks actually.

If it was considered "crappy" then Criterion wouldn't have gone through all recorded all those commentaries. It was the format at the time for 'cinephiles'. But now that the DVD format has taken off, the studios now see the financial rewards and won't give up the rights to those past commentary tracks and films.

Quote from: billybrown
Quote from: billybrownWould we get to hear Billy Bob doing the commentary in full Swing Blade mode, annoying voice and all? That would be a classic.  :-D

It would much better than the droll, unenthusiastic track he did on the Criterion laserdisc.

I've never heard it. Was it that bad? Spike Lee and Tim Burton tend to do some really wretched ones too (sooo much dead air), which is a shame, cuz you'd think interesting filmmakers like them would be able  provide lots of great insight and what not. Was the Billy Bob one on par with the lackluster commentaries provided by the aformentioned Lee and Burton?

At least with Lee and Burton they offer insight despite their monotone. With Billy Bob's track, while I haven't listened to it in a while, I don't remember it being all that informative.

I see your point, but the fact of the matter is, laser disc was merely a flavour of the month, and a completely overhyped technology. Like most things, when a particular product or whatever is new and moderately better than what exists at the moment, companies (Criterion) all jump on board for a piece of the action. The fact that laser discs died a quick and early death, and the DVD has exploded like nothing before or after, indicates as much. It may have been the "cinephiles" format for like 2 seconds, but it still sucked, IMHO, of course.  It's too bad that all these big studios are such money hungry pigs.

As for the Burton / Lee commentaries, the ones I have heard- which include E. Scissorhands, Planet Of The Apes, Bamboozled, 25th Hour, and Do The Right Thing- are soo slow, tedious, and filled with so much dead air, that whatever little iota of insight they may offer, it is completely offset by the sheer boredom of it, that even a hardcore fan of theirs would be hard pressed to make it through the whole thing. Flipside, guys like PTA, Kevin Smith, and Soderbergh especially, always deliver the goods.

MacGuffin

Quote from: billybrownI see your point, but the fact of the matter is, laser disc was merely a flavour of the month, and a completely overhyped technology. Like most things, when a particular product or whatever is new and moderately better than what exists at the moment, companies (Criterion) all jump on board for a piece of the action. The fact that laser discs died a quick and early death, and the DVD has exploded like nothing before or after, indicates as much. It may have been the "cinephiles" format for like 2 seconds, but it still sucked, IMHO, of course.  It's too bad that all these big studios are such money hungry pigs.

I was a collector for many years, so I dunno how that equates to "2 seconds." It was hardly an "early death." The format was carried in almost as many stores as DVDs are today. It's just the large disc was not accepted by the common consumer. Which is why studios were weary about DVDs at first. They didn't know if this format would be accepted, so didn't "jump on board" immediately. It wasn't until companies saw the enormous rise is the sale of DVD players, and this was the huge indicator for them, since it showed that comsumers were willing to invest in this new format; it wasn't until this news that they "exploded" the market with their catalogue of films in their libraries. And while the common complaint about lasers were their large size and their limited amount of information to hold, the picture quality, in some cases, are just as clear, if not better. Lasers paved the way for DVDs.

If you're not a fan of the laser format, then fine; you're entitled to your honest opinion. But the fact remains that there are still many films on laser that aren't on DVD and who knows when they will be, and there many lasers that have extras on them that are not carried over to the DVD releases.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

billybrown

Quote from: billybrownI see your point, but the fact of the matter is, laser disc was merely a flavour of the month, and a completely overhyped technology. Like most things, when a particular product or whatever is new and moderately better than what exists at the moment, companies (Criterion) all jump on board for a piece of the action. The fact that laser discs died a quick and early death, and the DVD has exploded like nothing before or after, indicates as much. It may have been the "cinephiles" format for like 2 seconds, but it still sucked, IMHO, of course.  It's too bad that all these big studios are such money hungry pigs.

I was a collector for many years, so I dunno how that equates to "2 seconds." It was hardly an "early death." The format was carried in almost as many stores as DVDs are today. It's just the large disc was not accepted by the common consumer. Which is why studios were weary about DVDs at first. They didn't know if this format would be accepted, so didn't "jump on board" immediately. It wasn't until companies saw the enormous rise is the sale of DVD players, and this was the huge indicator for them, since it showed that comsumers were willing to invest in this new format; it wasn't until this news that they "exploded" the market with their catalogue of films in their libraries. And while the common complaint about lasers were their large size and their limited amount of information to hold, the picture quality, in some cases, are just as clear, if not better. Lasers paved the way for DVDs.

If you're not a fan of the laser format, then fine; you're entitled to your honest opinion. But the fact remains that there are still many films on laser that aren't on DVD and who knows when they will be, and there many lasers that have extras on them that are not carried over to the DVD releases.

I'm not here to debate you or even sure what the point in all of this is, but the fact that laser discs paved the way for DVD's is hardly revolutionary, cuz as with most things in life, one thing leads to another. All I'm saying is that, save for the serious "collector",  "cinephile" or what have you, laser discs have had nary an impact on the world that the DVD has had. From storage capacity, to quality, to convenience of size, etc., etc., there is no debating between the two.  Laser discs were, and have always been, an over-hyped and inferior product that managed to get some consumers initially, but before most people even knew there was a format between VHS and DVD, laser discs had already come and gone.

And it's too bad that many of the studios hold movie-goers hostage by not releasing many films or extras from previous laser discs to DVD. But that hardly has anything to do with the fact that laser discs were anything special, they just came before, and now, thankfully, they are a mere afterthought, and essentailly a blip along the technological radar. DVD has become the standard that most EVERYONE now has- not just collectors and hardcore cinephiles- and it is an infinitely better product, period.

MacGuffin

Quote from: billybrownI'm not here to debate you or even sure what the point in all of this is, but the fact that laser discs paved the way for DVD's is hardly revolutionary, cuz as with most things in life, one thing leads to another. All I'm saying is that, save for the serious "collector",  "cinephile" or what have you, laser discs have had nary an impact on the world that the DVD has had. From storage capacity, to quality, to convenience of size, etc., etc., there is no debating between the two.  Laser discs were, and have always been, an over-hyped and inferior product that managed to get some consumers initially, but before most people even knew there was a format between VHS and DVD, laser discs had already come and gone.

And it's too bad that many of the studios hold movie-goers hostage by not releasing many films or extras from previous laser discs to DVD. But that hardly has anything to do with the fact that laser discs were anything special, they just came before, and now, thankfully, they are a mere afterthought, and essentailly a blip along the technological radar. DVD has become the standard that most EVERYONE now has- not just collectors and hardcore cinephiles- and it is an infinitely better product, period.

I don't understand your pure hatred for laserdiscs. Just because the technology advanced, why does it make lasers the shit on the bottom of your shoe? I'm standing up for the format that should not be a "blip on the technological radar". They were not over-hyped because the product delivered - the picture quality was better and it offered more than you could get from VHS, and that is what made them special. You are comparing it to product advancement, so, of course, the newest product will be better, I'm not saying it's not. I just don't understand why lasers to you are not worth mentioning.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

billy brown loved laserdiscs once, then they broke his heart.

alternatively they killed his father..
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

...that is so true.....(i.e. short cuts for me)... :(

billybrown

Quote from: Pbilly brown loved laserdiscs once, then they broke his heart.

alternatively they killed his father..

Alas, you got me. I was soo madly in love with Miss. Laser Disc, only to be left at the altar.  :cry:

However, once I met Miss DVD, at a time when I didn't think love was at all possible again, I realized what a dirty, crappy, useless whore Laser Disc was, and have seen and heard the majestic light of DVD ever since.

And then, they lived happily ever after.  :-D

cine

I guess you've chosen to ignore some of the attributes that LD had that DVD will never possess.  :?

billybrown

Quote from: CinephileI guess you've chosen to ignore some of the attributes that LD had that DVD will never possess.  :?

I think if you'd have bothered to read all my previous posts on the matter, that question would have been plainly answered- again and again and again on that aformentioned subject Mr. Cinephile-who-bases-his-film-opinions-on-what-critics-tell-him.  :roll:

GoneSavage

DVDs fit on one disc, with RARE exceptions.

Therefore:  DVD>LD

cine

Quote from: billybrownMr. Cinephile-who-bases-his-film-opinions-on-what-critics-tell-him.  :roll:
Fucking christ. Do me a BIG favour: PM me your home address and I'll send you a happy christmas card with a humble apology on the inside flap that reads "Sorry you're pissed that I refuse to see the Brown Bunny."

And maybe then, you and I can be friends again.

billybrown

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: billybrownMr. Cinephile-who-bases-his-film-opinions-on-what-critics-tell-him.  :roll:
Fucking christ. Do me a BIG favour: PM me your home address and I'll send you a happy christmas card with a humble apology on the inside flap that reads "Sorry you're pissed that I refuse to see the Brown Bunny."

And maybe then, you and I can be friends again.

I could give a rat's ass- more or less- about (a) your friendship and (b) whether or not you care to see the Brown Bunny. My point in that matter was your strong opinion on a subject you personally knew nothing about, but simply based on merely what you'd heard. That just plain stinks- especially when dealing in endeavours of the artistic variety.

Seasons Greetings!  :-D

cine

Poor bitter billybrown. Go outside, please. Relax.

I was mostly making reference to the fact that there are OOP LD's that have great commentaries that you'll NEVER get on DVD again.

I know you fucking hate LD, I don't care. I'm saying that LD did bring some good shit to the table.

End of this argument. I hate when people backtalk like they shit their fucking pants.

billybrown

Quote from: CinephilePoor bitter billybrown. Go outside, please. Relax.

I was mostly making reference to the fact that there are OOP LD's that have great commentaries that you'll NEVER get on DVD again.

I know you fucking hate LD, I don't care. I'm saying that LD did bring some good shit to the table.

End of this argument. I hate when people backtalk like they shit their fucking pants.

Regarding the whole LD issue, again, do please refer to the previous string of posts which explain my position on the matter. Thanks.

I can tell you enjoy drinking piss. Happy New Years!  :-D

Pubrick

ur pic reminds me of sumone i used to know..

back on the subject tho, criterion should definitely put out. all night long  till the break o'dawn baby.
under the paving stones.