The Grammys Can Suck It

Started by Film Student, December 07, 2004, 07:15:35 PM

Film Student

Not to point out the obvious, but the Grammys seem to be a bigger joke than the Oscars...  This year is especially terrible.

By ANTHONY BREZNICAN

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Producer-turned-rapper Kanye West collected a leading 10 Grammy nominations Tuesday, including album of the year, for his innovative debut, "The College Dropout."

West's disc stood out in the rap landscape because of its atypical prose. It avoided the usual plotlines about sex, money and violence and touched on everything from religion to his own insecurities.

The performer, who isn't afraid to sing his own praises after claiming he was "definitely robbed" when he picked up no trophies at the American Music Awards, also had a nomination for best new artist and shared a songwriting bid for song of the year with his hit "Jesus Walks."

"Ten nominations, that's amazing," said West, a nominations presenter at the Music Box Theatre in Hollywood. "That's like a perfect score. I'm at a loss for words."

Usher and Alicia Keys, who collaborated on the hit "My Boo," followed West with eight nominations each, including album of the year for Keys'"The Diary of Alicia Keys" and Usher's "Confessions."

Ray Charles, whose posthumous duets album "Genius Loves Company," became the biggest selling album of his long career, had seven nominations including album of the year and record of the year for "Here We Go Again," sung with Norah Jones.

Green Day garnered six bids for its hard-driving rock-punk album "American Idiot" which satirized culture, politics and apathy. The group was nominated for record of the year and best rock song for the title track and best rock album.

Besides Charles' and Jones'"Here We Go Again" and Green Day's "American Idiot," other record of the year contenders were the mellow love song "Heaven" by Los Lonely Boys, the jumpy party song "Let's Get It Started" by the Black Eyed Peas and Usher's massive hit "Yeah!"

The best new artist class spanned soul, rap, country and pop, with nominees Gretchen Wilson, country's self-proclaimed "Redneck Woman," rapper West, young soul sensation Joss Stone, Los Lonely Boys and Maroon 5.

Bids for song of the year - which goes to songwriters - went to "Daughters," written and recorded by John Mayer, "If I Ain't Got You," written and recorded by Keys, "Jesus Walks," recorded by West, "Live Like You Were Dying," recorded by Tim McGraw, and "The Reason," recorded by Hoobastank.

"It hasn't sunk in yet," said Hoobastank singer Doug Robb. "I feel like I'm in a daydream."

Old-school performers filled the best R&B album category with Anita Baker's "My Everything," Al Green's "I Can't Stop," and Prince's comeback "Musicology" competing against "The Diary of Alicia Keys" and Jill Scott's "Beautifully Human: Words & Sound Vol. 2."

Loretta Lynn had five nominations in the country field including best country album for "Van Lear Rose" (which was produced by the White Stripes' Jack White) and two bids for best country song for "Miss Being Mrs." and "Portland Oregon."

Her album competition includes McGraw for "Live Like You Were Dying," Tift Merritt for "Tambourine," Keith Urban's "Be Here" and Wilson for "Here for the Party."

Half of West's 10 nominations were in the rap field, including best rap album. He competes against himself in the best rap-sung collaboration with the songs "Slow Jamz," performed along with Twista and actor-singer Jamie Foxx, and "All Falls Down," which he performed with Syleena Johnson.

Also nominated for best rap album were Nelly's "Suit," LL Cool J's "The Definition," The Beastie Boys'"To The 5 Boroughs," and "The Black Album" by Jay-Z, which he has said will be his last.

In the rock category, Green Day's "American Idiot" was named in the best rock album competition along with Hoobastank's "The Reason," The Killers'"Hot Fuss," Velvet Revolver's "Contraband" and "The Deliveryman" by Elvis Costello & The Imposters.

Beach Boys frontman Brian Wilson's long-gestating album "Smile," which was recently released after years spent on the shelf following his emotional and mental problems, collected a bid for best pop vocal album. It competes with "Afterglow" by Sarah McLachlan, "Feels Like Home" by Jones, "Mind, Body & Soul" by Stone, and "Genius Loves Company" by Charles.

Jones and Stone compete against each other again for female pop vocal performance, with Stone's "You Had Me" and Jones'"Sunrise" up against "Oceania" by Bjork, No Doubt singer Gwen Stefani's solo single "What You Waiting For?" and Sheryl Crow's cover of the Cat Stevens song "The First Cut is the Deepest."

In the male pop vocal competition, Costello's cover of the Cole Porter song "Let's Misbehave" from the movie "De-Lovely" was picked along with the inspirational song "You Raise Me Up" by Josh Groban, John Mayer's "Daughters," Prince's "Cinnamon Girl" and Seal's "Love's Divine."

Posthumous was the operative word in the best pop collaboration with vocals category. Charles competes against himself with the duets "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word" with Elton John and "Here We Go Again" with Jones. Also nominated was a cover of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" by Johnny Cash and The Clash's Joe Strummer, both deceased. The other two bids went to veterans: Stevie Wonder and Take 6 for "Moon River," and Paul McCartney and Eric Clapton for "Something" from the album "Concert for George," a tribute to the late George Harrison.

The Grammys will be given out Feb. 13 in Los Angeles during a broadcast on CBS
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

ono

NEON MERCURY

:-D   oh my gosh ..i fucking love the grammieez ..they rock so hard like the nomineeze do.  i cant wait till my main pimp kaye west wins dat thing for real.. all my lovers will be on the mtv chatroom discussing the 411 on the grammieez.  kanye gots dat 10 noms yo.  what de fuck dio you guys thinks about that ?..huh?  hey you ghetyto ass mothe fucka im talking to you.  yeah that punck with the hewlit packered.. yeah that greasy sex bitch smoking the kool cigarettes with the aribrushed mousepad.  yeah my mans was robs for real.  he didnt get no throphiez..damnz, yallz got to respect him...yo!! whats up with that r&b shit..how comes usher and alicia keyz got albums that have the same thing.  ones called "confessions" while the other is called "diary of ________  ___"...i guess they cool pint up chromozone fetish..........

oh yall no dat song "my boo"  i give you a story from the real...i pulled a "say anything" john cusack  on my bitch the other day... i smashed her face in with a wet towel and snaped he twiggy arms....then she mulilated my mentally .. and i got nervous and i grapped my bnoombox and played the song...........needless to say we fucked like hippy who get stoned on raspberry meth.

oh, yeah green day true authentic punk pioneers are back......i know all yall mother fuckers like dem.  remeber that song that wnet "iots something unpredictable bu tin the end its righ t....i hope you have the time of your lives"........that was soo damnz deep man.....they are backs and here to stay........

hoobastank........................ :|

john mayer.....where those 15 year old girlz at........yall like this lisping bitch ?  i dont likes his voice i dont like how hes a gheyer dave matthews......i don tlike hi sclothes, his teeth, his innuendo, .............or that guitar ...go back inside michael jacksons testicles ...

thats my grammiez report see ya in the chatroomz,,,,,,,,

over&out.

MacGuffin

Some isolated catagories:

Best Alternative Music Album
(Vocal or Instrumental.)

Medulla
Björk

Franz Ferdinand
Franz Ferdinand

Uh Huh Her
PJ Harvey

Good News For People Who Love Bad News
Modest Mouse

A Ghost Is Born
Wilco

Best Compilation Soundtrack Album For A Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
(Award to the Artist(s) and/or Producer(s) of a majority of the tracks on the album, or to the individual(s) actively responsible for the concept and musical direction and for the selection of artists, songs and producers, as applicable.)

Cold Mountain

De-Lovely

Garden State

Kill Bill Vol. 2

Shrek 2

Best Score Soundtrack Album For A Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
(Award to Composer(s) for an original score created specifically for, or as a companion to, a current legitimate motion picture, television show or series or other visual media.)

Angels In America
Thomas Newman, composer (Thomas Newman)

Big Fish
Danny Elfman, composer (Various Artists)

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
Jon Brion, composer (Various Artists)

Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban
John Williams, composer (Various Artists)

The Lord Of The Rings - The Return Of The King
Howard Shore, composer (Howard Shore)

Best Song Written For A Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
(A Songwriter(s) award. For a song (melody & lyrics) written specifically for a motion picture, television or other visual media, and released for the first time during the Eligibility Year. (Artist names appear in parenthesis.) Singles or Tracks only.)

Accidentally In Love (From Shrek 2)
David Bryson, Adam Duritz, David Immergluck, Matthew Malley & Dan Vickrey, songwriters (Counting Crows)

Belleville Rendez-Vous (From The Triplets Of Belleville)
Benoit Charest & Sylvain Chomet, songwriters (-M-)

Into The West (From The Lord Of The Rings - The Return Of The King)
Annie Lennox, Howard Shore & Fran Walsh, songwriters (Annie Lennox)

The Scarlet Tide (From Cold Mountain)
Henry Burnett & Elvis Costello, songwriters (Alison Krauss)

You Will Be My Ain True Love (From Cold Mountain)
Sting, songwriter (Alison Krauss)

Full list here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

alicia keys and alicia keys and jaime foxx were both excellent performances.

Two Lane Blacktop

I heard a clip on NPR this morning of Loretta Lynn and Jack White accepting for "Van Lear Rose" (cool abum, BTW)...  it was funny hearing White, who's usually so in-control of any public appearance,  barely able to keep up with Lynn, who's been on stages longer than White's been alive.   :yabbse-grin:

2LB
Body by Guinness

Jeremy Blackman

It was worth watching, if only for the "still outstanding in his field" joke and the Green Day performance.

Stefen

The grammys are a joke and a shill for hip pop. Didnt outlkast win album of the year last year for that horrid album they dropped?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

I Don't Believe in Beatles

I kept making fun of all my friends who watched.  

"I hear Nirvana was a no-show this year."  "Dude, Nirvana broke up a long time ago."  "No way, they had an album out in November."  "No, uh, their singer shot himself."  "Oh, that sucks.  But their guitarist's still awesome."  "The singer and the guitarist's the same guy."  "Huh.  You sure?"  "Yeah.."  

Seriously though, Stevie Wonder showed up?
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: GingerSeriously though, Stevie Wonder showed up?
Yes, and he even did a blind joke.

Cool.  I'm hearing from friends now that he pretended to read an envelope and then read it with braille?
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

Pubrick

Quote from: GingerI'm hearing from friends now that he pretended to read an envelope and then read it with braille?
i don't know, are u?
under the paving stones.

peaceisourprofession

the grammys are lamer than fdr's legs.....too soon?
anyway, all award shows are ridiculous nowadays, I can barely stand watching them because there's always some idiot in the balcony screaming "I LOVE YOU ANDRE!" and "WILL YOU MARRY ME?"
"I choose the poverty of our poor people. But I am grateful to receive (the Nobel) in the name of the hungry, the naked, the homeless, of the crippled, of the blind, of the lepers, of all those people who feel unwanted, unloved, uncared-for throughout society, people that have become a burden to the society and are shunned by everyone." - Mother Theresa
excerpt from her nobel prize acceptance speech

picolas

are the rumours about the stevie wonder joke true?