Best Supporting Male Performance: Cillian Murphy in BATMAN BEGINS

THE NOMINEES

Cillian Murphy - Batman Begins
Jeffrey Wright - Broken Flowers
Clifton Collins Jr. - Capote
Paul Giamatti - Cinderella Man
William Hurt - A History of Violence

godardian

I think this is the only winner I'm kind of surprised by (and decidedly disapproving of). Why? What did I miss that was special or even noteworthy?

I voted for Jeffrey Wright. My second choice would have been Collins or Hurt.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

hedwig

Quote from: godardian on April 18, 2006, 03:31:55 PM
I think this is the only winner I'm kind of surprised by (and decidedly disapproving of). Why? What did I miss that was special or even noteworthy?

the combined cold stare, calm attitude and seething madness were impressive enough to yield a nomination, at least.

yea, Hurt and Collins were better. but Murphy's scarecrow is an excellent, hitherto underacknowledged bad-guy performance so,  :yabbse-thumbup:.

squints

This one did surprise me. Clifton Collins was my pick. He was the only other talent in Capote that i thought was especially noteworthy (Keener's performance wasn't that spectacular or deserving for that matter).
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Split Infinitive

Wow.  I am most pleasantly surprised with this win.  Congratulations on continually catching me off-guard, Xixax!
Please don't correct me. It makes me sick.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Cillian definitely earned this one.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Derek237

Murphy in Batman Begins was at the very best a note-worthy performance. I can't really respect the voters' decision on this one, especially with the likes William Hurt in A History of Violence on the ballot, which is who my voted went to. It was a sketchy year for the category, since the distinction between supporting and leading roles was much more blurred than usual: Jake Gylenhaal, George Clooney, Matt Dillon, etc. but Hurt was obviously supporting, more than any others here. He has the one scene at the end, which I thought was perfect acting, and the highlight of the movie. It was the scene that all of A History of Violence was leading to, really, it needed to work a certain way, and because of Hurt, it worked that way. I would honestly compare him to Brando in Apocaylpse Now. The structure of the story brings you to a point in which you're so involved that you nearly forget the rest of the entire movie because Hurt's character brings you to such definining moments with his mesmorizing skill as a character actor. Seriously, he makes the movie what it is.

And Clifton Collins Jr. was good, too.

But when I was comprising my ballot, Cillian Murphy never came to mind once.

Alexandro

time will make us look at this award and go:  :doh:

hurt, wright.....that was cool....this is trying too hard to be cool...