Luce

Started by jenkins, August 05, 2019, 01:11:30 PM

jenkins

ties with The Farewell as my favorite USA movie this year so far

Drenk

That looks like a neat thriller. I had no idea it existed.

(I'm not surprised that it probably won't be released in France, every time a movie like that seems interesting to me it's released randomly on VOD at some point in time. The quiet Netflixisation of independent cinema. It might be released if it gets Oscar buzz; a quick Twitter research made me think that it could.)
Ascension.

putneyswipe

This is the most under appreciated film of the year. Reminded me a lot of Asghar Farhadi's work. It's working on the same conversations as something like Get Out but in a smarter, subtler way. And the direction and editing are low key but very, very well executed.

Sleepless

Kelvin Harrison Jr. and Naomi Watts in particular are both good, and it was nice to see Norbert Leo Butz, but the script is shockingly not great at times. The whole thing is built on an unbelievable plot point
Spoiler: ShowHide
that a random teacher has the ability to access a student's locker without anyone else on the school staff being aware
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

jenkins

oh the locker opening. i thought you were going to mention immense suspicion raised by "illegal fireworks"

Sleepless

There were a few other things too, but that was the most obvious/memorable since it basically sets the whole thing in motion.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.