la dolce vita

Started by modage, May 17, 2003, 05:46:51 PM

modage

LA DOLCE VITA
is anyone aware what is going on with this movie? is it ever coming to dvd?  is it being remastered?  is there any rumors i missed about this one?  i would very much like to add it to my collection.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

I'll bet MacGuffin will be here in a moment to aid us in our query.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Only thing I found from DVD Journal:

La Dolce Vita
Rumored to be a Criterion disc someday, but we will not see Fellini's masterpiece under the Criterion folio until 2003 at the earliest

But you can drool over the Region 2 two disc set here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

thank you very much macguffin. drool i will.... god, those black and white screen captures look gorgeous.  *sigh
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Duck Sauce

I havent seen this movie but feel i need to, cant find it anywhere

SoNowThen

I emailed Ebert about it (since it's his fav movie). After a week of silence, he replied that he's heard rumours, but nothing in the near near future.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

As of now, don't look for Criterion releasing La Dolce Vita at all. A year ago or so, they admitted they were in negotiations but now say they have no plans on releasing or even holding rights to the movie. Everything seems to have fallen apart in the negotiations.

~rougerum

sexterossa

Quote from: Duck SauceI havent seen this movie but feel i need to, cant find it anywhere

the library. it liked it less than 8 and 1/2
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

modage

One of the most influential films of Italian cinema, Federico Fellini's 1960 classic La Dolce Vita is coming to disc in a new special edition. Due on September 7th from Koch Lorber Films, the two-disc will feature a newly remastered and restored 2.35 anamorphic widescreen transfer, along with Italian & English DD5.1 tracks and English & Spanish subtitles. Bonus materials will include an audio commentary by Richard Schickel, a collection of never-before-seen Fellini shorts, "Remembering the Sweet Life" interviews with stars Marcello Mastroianni and Anita Ekberg, "Cinecitta: The House of Fellini" interview with Fellini, a photo still gallery, restoration demo, cast & crew biographies, filmographies and an eight-page collector's booklet with rare and hard-to-find photos from the set photographer. Retail is $34.98.

sweeeeeeeeeeeet

The Perineum Falcon

*creams pants*

*thrice*
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Ravi

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=5020109#post5020109

Hello From Koch Lorber Films

Hello From Koch Lorber (or whatever you are calling us today). It was suggested to me by a member of this board that I should sign on and try to answer as many questions as I could about the upcoming DVD release of La Dolce Vita. As the DVD producer on this project, I will try to answer as many questions as I can regarding the transfer, bonus features and restoration. After reading through the forum, here are the main concerns as I see them:

1) PAL/NTSC conversion. We did have to use a PAL master for the restoration, as all 35mm and NTSC materials that we located were of very poor quality. Painstaking efforts were made to ensure that the transfer effects were minimized and the results are fantastic. Technology has improved greatly since the Fox Lorber days (not affilated), so I believe that you will be satisfied with the results.

2) Mono. The original mono has been restored and will be available on the disc, as well a stereo and 5.1 track, with or without subititles (English or Spanish), which have also been completely redone.

3) Quality. We used the Medusa version as a guidline and I believe we have way surpassed the quality. The Medusa version has many audio drops and spots of film dirt, which have all been removed in our version, as well as large portions of the film that are completely out of synch (check out Emma slamming the car door on Marcello after the Madonna scene and you'll get the idea) which we have made painstaking efforts to correct. We are still in the final stages of encoding, but I believe the finished product will be far superior to any DVD version of this on the market.

4) Schikel. Richard is not only an authority on Italian neo-realism, but also a film restoration expert as well (he is currently restoring Sam Fuller's The Big Red One), which makes him uniquely qualified for this commentary. To round out the experts in the package, we have included liner notes from Dennis Bartok of American Cinemateque and a filmed introduction by Alexander Payne.

5) The bonus features. We tried to give good value to the set, so we added a lot of material that has not seen the light of day here in the States, including Fellini TV, a collection of surrealist shorts done by Fellini over the years to run as commercials on Italian TV.

I hope that this e-mail answers some of your questions. If you have any thing else you would like to ask, feel free to do so and I will try to answer as quickly as possible. This has been a labor of love here at KLF for well over a year, and I hope you all enjoy seeing it as much as we have enjoyed working on it.

Best,

tim

I had a feeling that it would be PAL to NTSC, given this is a Lorber release, but I hope it looks good nonetheless.

MacGuffin

Nov. 08, 2005:

List Price:  $79.98  

Disc 1 - Main Program

Audio commentary by noted critic & film historian Richard Schickel
Introduction by acclaimed director Alexander Payne

Disc 2 - Bonus Materials

Fellini TV - Collection of never-before-seen Felinni shorts
Remembering the Sweet Life- Interviews with Marcello Mastroianni and Anita Ekberg
Cinecitta: The House of Fellini - Musical montage of Fellini's beloved studio
Fellini, Roma and Cinecitta - Interview with Fellini
Extensive Photo Gallery
Restoration Demo

Disc 3 - Bonus Materials

Documentary of La Doce Vita composer Nino Rota
Interview with Anita Ekberg (2004)
Interview with Federico Fellini from France TV (1960)
Marcello Mastroianni speaking about La Dolce Vita on France TV (1960)
Discussion with Fellini's closest friend and colleague, Rinaldo Gelend
Footage with the last surviving La Dolce Vita screenwriter, Tullio Pinelli
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Gold Trumpet

Not even a Criterion version would cost so much. I'll hang on to my two disc set.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye