Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: polkablues on May 20, 2020, 02:34:08 AM
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 12, 2020, 11:13:13 AM
The Lodge – I really loved this movie. Might end up being a year-end favorite. Avoid spoilers!

Holy shit.

Holy shit.

This movie wrecked me.

Highly recommended if you're looking to feel like the protective lining of your soul has been chipped away for an hour and a half and then the contents thereof ripped out of your body in one fell swoop, leaving you a hollow shell of the person you previously were. I mean, goddamn. What a flick.

Yup. I actually had a lot of trouble sleeping the night I saw it.

Robyn

The Lodge was really good. One of my favorites of all the good recs in this thread.

polkablues

I was surprised because I had been kind of putting off watching it after having been a little let down by their previous film, Goodnight Mommy. The Lodge took everything that did work about that film and elevated it a hundredfold.

I would say to anyone who's seen The Lodge and loved it, you should make sure to check out Honeymoon. Similar vibes in a lot of ways, and the last movie I can think of that gutted me the way this one did (though The Lodge is a much more accomplished and polished film overall).
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alethia

Hmm. Well, I went into The Lodge very optimistic due to the above praise, and while Riley's performance is strong, and the first 2/3s (though derivative of far better films) build up some ominous tension, the last half hour I found to be increasingly dumb and tedious; by the time the credits rolled I couldn't muster more than a half-bored shrug. What specifically, may I ask, did you guys find so mind-blowing?

polkablues

That's a hard question to answer when from your description you may as well have watched a totally different movie than I did. Like, any response I can give will be predicated on the notion that the film wasn't derivative, dumb, or tedious, which means it won't be applicable to your experience. Just suffice to say that the elements that didn't work for you did work for me.

Alethia

BB

Felt about The Lodge the exact opposite way I felt about Vast of Night. A very interesting premise executed in a pedestrian and, at times, even sort of flat way. Looked, sounded, and flowed like pretty much every other horror movie from the past five years.

On a related note, what's with horror movies and dollhouses recently? Are people really into this shit?

polkablues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEwEa_xpY_U&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2mIp7rd53YgDKbXotiX2Y0FFOCwHoREmCRubM_8ZT0FSxhknUxh0wKpqg

Giallo-inspired horror comedy a friend of mine shot shortly before the pandemic lockdown. I made the opening bumper/title sequence for it.

jenkins

you made the Feature Presentation part? that's really good and you should gift it to WF imo

i watched it and it's funny

polkablues

Quote from: jenkins on June 15, 2020, 01:11:08 AM
you made the Feature Presentation part? that's really good and you should gift it to WF imo

Thanks! Yep, made it from scratch, and I'm more than happy to give it out to whoever wants it for whatever purpose.

WorldForgot

:!: :!: :!: Will watch the short first chance I get today and edit my post ~
That iz a sweet frkn title card, polka. Very very cool.
I would love to be able to have it, even for live shows or movie marathons would make a sick intermission ender.

polkablues

Quote from: WorldForgot on June 15, 2020, 10:27:01 AM
That iz a sweet frkn title card, polka. Very very cool.
I would love to be able to have it, even for live shows or movie marathons would make a sick intermission ender.

PM me your email address. I can get a download link for the 4K ProRes version to you later today.

Alexandro

Quote from: eward on May 26, 2020, 07:37:10 PM
Hmm. Well, I went into The Lodge very optimistic due to the above praise, and while Riley's performance is strong, and the first 2/3s (though derivative of far better films) build up some ominous tension, the last half hour I found to be increasingly dumb and tedious; by the time the credits rolled I couldn't muster more than a half-bored shrug. What specifically, may I ask, did you guys find so mind-blowing?

felt mostly the same... good atmosphere and performances. but the twisting and increasingly illogical things happening drained all my enjoyment of it.

WorldForgot

The Podcast Ripper!! Love the cinematography/gelz + script. Also, its YT title really nails the tone to its hub n audience. For a short about an audio recording tho, sound mix I was felt was gah! Peaks! A minor note because it doesn't derail the lines + beats so I had a lot of fun. Will defo end up sharing ~
Also, polka I was fr hoping the short would be in the aspect ratio of your opening title card :p

polkablues

The sound mix was the big note I gave him, too. Dialogue levels are all over the place, and the gunshot sounds puny. He's going to submit it to festivals at some point down the line, so I suspect he'll splurge on a more polished mix before doing that.