What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

JG

its good, but i don't like the parts when he becomes the proto-american-dude and starts drooling over girls' racks, or when he gets over his head and starts talking about movies (eg. one footnote about "no country"). i know its a part of his style -  his digressions contain some of his best moments - but sometimes i find it grating and unnecessary. stick to the hoops!  

Stefen

No way. It's LONG. The references to The Wire and Boogie Nights are necessary for a break from basketball.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

After the Masterpiece, I had alittle Breakfast of Champions, following that with another reading of Repetition, and I'm chasing all of that with Dr. Sax.

I'm thinking my next read will be Les Enfants terribles....
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Derek

In the last little while I've read White Teeth, The Catcher In The Rye (never read it before), Angela's Ashes and The Lost City Of Z. Z is a pretty interesting non-fiction read, kind of like a real life Indiana Jones story.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

The Perineum Falcon

The last few & New:

The Hunting of the Snark
Sylvie & Bruno
        "           Concluded
by Lewis Carroll

Hunger, by Knut Hamsun
Salt Seller (Marchand du sel), by Marcel Duchamp
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

children with angels

Ann Swidler - Talk of Love: How Culture Matters

I recommend this really highly. The best analysis of the relationship between culture and our views of love (and ourselves, and our lives generally) that I've read.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: children with angels on April 08, 2010, 07:52:29 AM

Ann Swidler - Talk of Love: How Culture Matters

I recommend this really highly. The best analysis of the relationship between culture and our views of love (and ourselves, and our lives generally) that I've read.

Thanks for the recommendation. You got me to buy and read Robin Wood's book on Hitchcock which diversified my opinion on him. Recalling our Vertigo/Persona conversation, I think I could stand to better understand the importance of culture and be able to potentially extend it to movie viewing. I don't expect to transform a major opinion since I have enough disdain for the culture studies approach to film analysis, but I always hope to get more even handed about all forms of critical approach.

children with angels

Oh, this isn't film studies, or even cultural studies (in fact, my least favourite parts of it are when it momentarily tries to be) - it's straight-up sociology. It's about culture in the broadest sense. It's based on interviews with the public about their views on love and marriage and how these views are put into practice, analysing the coherence and complexity of the underlying conceptual frameworks and how they influence action.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: children with angels on April 08, 2010, 03:10:21 PM
Oh, this isn't film studies, or even cultural studies (in fact, my least favourite parts of it are when it momentarily tries to be) - it's straight-up sociology. It's about culture in the broadest sense. It's based on interviews with the public about their views on love and marriage and how these views are put into practice, analysing the coherence and complexity of the underlying conceptual frameworks and how they influence action.

Gotcha. Still, sounds interesting.

Derek

Just read Franny and Zooey, which is the only other Salinger I've read other than Cather...preferred Catcher, but it was still good. Also finished The Book Thief, which takes place in Munch during WWII. Recommend it.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Robyn

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Pedro

So I started out reading this with no idea where it would go, and now that I'm far into it I can say with confidence that this is one of the most disturbing fucked up things I have ever read.   Highly recommended.