Tina Fey's "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" on Netflix

Started by ono, April 09, 2014, 04:09:02 PM

ono

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2595776/Tina-Fey-tends-adorable-daughter-Penelope-oversees-filming-new-sitcom-Tooken.html

QuoteThe comedy features The Office star (Ellie Kemper) as Kimmy, a character who escapes from a doomsday cult and starts her life over in New York City.

Tina's new television sitcom also features Titus Tituss Burgess (formerly D'Fawn of 30 Rock) as a gay singer who works as a robot in Times Square.

NBC has ordered a 13-episode first season of Tooken and it will premiere later this fall.

Reel

OOOoohhh I love ellie kemper

Fuzzy Dunlop

Not to be confused with straight TOOKEN starring the incomparable Liam Neesons

Taken 4: done got took again

pete

Quote from: ono on April 09, 2014, 04:09:02 PM
Tina's new television sitcom also features Titus Tituss Burgess (formerly D'Fawn of 30 Rock) as a gay singer who works as a robot in Times Square.

I GUESS HE'S THE TOOKEN GAY GUY
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

I hate myself for not having thought of that joke.
My house, my rules, my coffee

diggler

I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

ono

So I watched this on and off over the past week.  It's better than I thought it would be.  It's light-hearted fare, good for throwing on the background while you're doing something else, or if you need a laugh.  But if you do use it as background noise, you'll definitely miss a laugh or three.  It's really fun and silly, especially considered the dark subject matter.  The throwaway jokes come really fast, lending to its rewatchability.  The writing is strong, as expected, and the trademark 30 Rock music is there.  The theme song is really catchy.  It's really clever how they incorporated it into the show.  There are some great cameos near the end of the season, too.  Some might consider some jokes TOO over the top, and some stereotypes are too much, but that seems to be more of Fey's and Carlock's commentaries on stereotypes themselves.  What was the last show that had a female lead and a black gay second banana as over-the-top as Titus?

polkablues

The show definitely succeeds on the quality of the gags from moment to moment, and the commitment of Ellie Kemper. I like it better as a straight-forward fish out of water comedy than when it got plot-heavy in the final two episodes, but it never dipped below the level of entertaining.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jonas

Season 2 has been really funny while also starting to deal with kimmy's issues from the bunker, which I wondered would happen. The episodes are a bit longer  (30 mins to 23) because it was apparently created for NBC in season 1. Feels like they are taking advantage of netflix with the time extension and a more wackier feel.

Great addition of Amy Sedaris as Mimi Knassis
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove