The Office

Started by Redlum, September 19, 2003, 11:46:50 AM

Gamblour.

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: RaviThe only time I laughed was when Carell kept doing his Six Million Dollar Man impression.  It won't match the original, of course, but I'm willing to give it a few episodes to hit its stride.
ditto.

That sucks, we missed the beginning of that joke, so it didn't have any punch. I did like him referencing God as a hero, and the "Don' mess with my chillens" line in front of the black guy.
WWPTAD?

picolas

WHAT?! "would a doctor tell his patient they had cancer?" and "i found it at spencer gifts" is exactly the same level of goodness as the first season.

the new gareth is pretty bad and the new tim is trying too hard to be cute, but everything else is mostly really great. the best parts were when they made their own stuff, actually. i didn't like seeing the recycled jokes, but most of them still worked, and some were even improved (e.g. "it was my brother's joke.." and "what a terrible, terrible... person."). i hope the writers let Carrel's version of the character evolve because the style is clearly different from Gervais. it's a different kind of stupid..

i think this will be a great series when they stop using stuff from the other series.

Gamblour.

I actually liked the new Gareth. He's nerdy, not creepy, so he's funny in a Milton kind of way. I laughed pretty hard when he started smacking the pencils.

I thought it was nice how Jim mentions Pam's favorite flavor of yogurt, but he had just qualified it as useless information, so it kinda came off prickish, did anyone else get that vibe, if only for a second? I don't think they meant it to be put like that.
WWPTAD?

grand theft sparrow

It was much better than I expected it to be but the article I read recently that said it out-Arrested Developments Arrested Development is ridiculous.  The anxiety of influence looms large but it was decent.  

The weakest part of it was the Dawn character (Pam?).  She was so deadpan that she comes off flat.  You immediately get why Tim likes Dawn in the British series but I just don't get it in this one.

But one important thing needs to be addressed: regardless of how disappointing it is in comparison to the original series, it's still better than Life on a Stick.

MacGuffin

'Office' debut, 'ER' help NBC to top slot Thursday

Despite atypical competition from a special airing of Fox's "American Idol" and CBS' live NCAA basketball coverage, NBC won the a busy night in primetime Thursday with help from the debut of comedy series "The Office" and "ER." "The Office," a U.S. rendition of the quirky BBC hit that developed a cult following Stateside through airings on BBC America, passed muster in its 9:30 p.m. premiere behind a special 8:30-9:30 edition of "The Apprentice." "Apprentice," however, was off its usual game thanks to the lure of Fox's "Idol," with an average of 11.6 million viewers and 4.9 rating/13 share in the adults 18-49 demographic, according to preliminary estimates from Nielsen Media Research. "The Office" held on to virtually all of its "Apprentice" lead-in to finish out with 11.3 million viewers and 5.0/13 in the key demo. "Office" moves into its regular Tuesday 9:30 p.m. berth next week.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

*admin edit: SPOILS FOR THE ORIGINAL

Quote from: picolas
the new gareth is pretty bad and the new tim is trying too hard to be cute

I kind of hate that there's a new gareth and a new tim...i wish they'd do something different entirely..new characters...i know they're not exactly the same characters as the first but the original was so original that the idea of copying it in even the slightest sense makes me a little queesy. I've never seen a last episode that moved me quite as much (especially for a comedy series) as The Office Special, i just don't see myself giving as much of a shit about Jim and Pam hooking up in the end as i did about Tim and Dawn...
But i guess if you forget about the original...i think the new show is pretty hilarious
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Ravi

The second episode of the American version is much better than the first episode.  I laughed more, though it still has that weird vibe that happens when a surprising gem gets remade after it is successful.

Sleuth

I have a theory that that vibe will in fact NEVER leave and you'll just have to laugh more angrily if you want to rage against it
I like to hug dogs

grand theft sparrow

I want to like the show so bad but I just can't.  One more episode where I laugh out loud only once and then have an urge to put my original DVDs on and I'll have to stop watching.  I realized last night that the reason why I laugh at any of it is because I keep picturing the British cast.  But if they're hinging the whole show on Steve Carell, they need to give him a reason that he's such a douche, like how David Brent was a failed entertainer who's constantly "on" in hopes of being discovered.  Carell's character comes off like he's just a shitty boss.  No sympathy.

The writers and the actors are able to mimic the characters and dynamics of the original well enough but it's just not the same experience... like sleeping with your girlfriend's sister.

modage

Gervais/Merchant series Extras set to take America by storm

BBC Worldwide has secured its first ever British comedy co-production deal with the US cable channel HBO for the new Ricky Gervais/Stephen Merchant comedy series Extras.

Currently in production, Extras is the hotly anticipated new comedy series from Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant (creators of the Golden Globe-winning BBC comedy series The Office). The six-episode first season will debut on BBC TWO in the UK this summer, with the HBO debut to be announced soon.

"Ricky Gervais is one of the most original comic voices working today," noted Carolyn Strauss, President, HBO Entertainment. "HBO is extremely proud to join with the BBC in bringing his new show to America."

Jon Plowman, Head of Comedy Entertainment, BBC, added, "I am thrilled to be partnering with HBO, an American network renowned for the quality and originality of its programming. I'm confident that Ricky's new show will add to their superb lineup."

Ricky Gervais said: "It's an honour to be on the same channel that gave us The Sopranos and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse."

Extras stars Ricky Gervais as bitter, aspiring actor Andy Millman, who gives up his day job to pursue fame in the movies, only to find he just can't land the big parts. Each episode will have a different setting and feature cameos by top Hollywood stars, including Samuel L. Jackson, Ben Stiller, Kate Winslet and Patrick Stewart. The cast will also feature Stephen Merchant as Millman's agent.

Extras is written and directed by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, produced by Charlie Hanson and executive produced by Jon Plowman.

Extras builds on the BBC's long standing relationship with HBO that has seen previous successful co-production partnerships which include the upcoming series "Rome", as well as the HBO Films presentations "Dirty War" and "The Gathering Storm."

For further information please contact Mary Collins, BBC Worldwide Communications, on +44 7769 670516 or at mary.collins@bbc.co.uk.

www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/commercial
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Weak2ndAct

Yay for no commericals or censoring, nay on that it will take 2 years for the dvd to come out (with a hefty price tag, I'm sure).

Ravi

Quote from: Weak2ndActYay for no commericals or censoring, nay on that it will take 2 years for the dvd to come out (with a hefty price tag, I'm sure).

I'm sure it will be a half-hour show, so the DVDs won't be too expensive.  Ten episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm are about $40.

modage

so hopefully this will be on late summer/early fall for us?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Weak2ndAct

F waiting for HBO, this will be on the 'net the second it's done airing in England.

Chrisdarko

what do u use to download?