Phantom Thread - Awards ticker

Started by wilberfan, November 30, 2017, 03:17:00 PM

modage

Wrote this a couple years ago but still true today.

http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/2013/02/a-few-thoughts-on-academy-awards.html

TLDR: It's nice when the Oscars get it right but more often than not they don't and it doesn't affect which films stand the test of time one iota. PTA will be fine.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

wilberfan

Given that DDL is doing extremely limited amounts of press/promotion for Thread, I was quite surprised to see that he was present at the Globes last night...

csage97

Quote from: wilberfan on January 05, 2018, 08:32:31 PM
The Oscars used to be the major religious holiday in our family.  (I'm not exaggerating.)  Probably starting around the year that "The Artist" won best picture, I've gradually become more and more disillusioned with them.  Last year I could barely care at all (although I was pleased when "La La Land" 'lost' at the wire.)  The last 3 or 4 years especially have seemed to be an endless stream of high-praised films that I've been unimpressed with.  ("Whiplash" comes to mind.)  So, my tastes--or the "mainstream" tastes are evolving (or both) and apparently in opposite directions.

That said, I would be thrilled to see a PTA film win Best Picture and/or PTA to win Best Director.  (But Oscars only.  The Golden Globes are bullshit.  Or at least bigger bullshit than the Oscars.)

wilberfan, I think we're on a similar wavelength. I almost walked out of the theatre for La La Land (though I admit the cinematography was very nice), and I didn't really like Whiplash (Birdman was far, far better. Give me Lubezki and that score any day). I just really don't like Chazelle's stories.

One thing I disagree with you on, though, is Inherent Vice. I don't think it's PTA's best, but I still thoroughly enjoy it.

wilberfan

Quote from: csage97 on January 08, 2018, 05:55:20 PM
One thing I disagree with you on, though, is Inherent Vice. I don't think it's PTA's best, but I still thoroughly enjoy it.

I've promised myself, out of respect to PTA, that the next time it's playing on the big screen in L.A. (at some geographically reasonable location), I'll give it another try.  Two attempts to rewatch it at home have resulted in my hurling the remote at the TV.

wilberfan

DGA Feature Film Nominations Announced

http://www.awardscircuit.com/2018/01/11/dga-feature-film-nominations-announced/

Guillermo del Toro, "The Shape of Water" (Fox Searchlight)
*First Nomination

Greta Gerwig, "Lady Bird" (A24)
*First Nomination

Martin McDonagh, "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri" (Fox Searchlight)
*First Nomination

Christopher Nolan, "Dunkirk" (Warner Bros)
*Fourth Nomination

Jordan Peele, "Get Out" (Universal Pictures)
*First Nomination, also nominated for First-Time Feature Film

Drenk

Ascension.

Sleepless

Oscar nominations:

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Actor - Daniel Day-Lewis
Best Supporting Actress - Lesley Manville
Best Original Score
Best Costume Design
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

ono

Jeremy Blackman

Pleasantly surprised! But yeah, Krieps over Manville for sure.

©brad

Great news! Per Vulture:

"I heard from so many Oscar voters that Phantom Thread was the last film they watched before voting, and it clearly paid off. The Paul Thomas Anderson film performed beyond its wildest dreams this morning, picking up six nominations, including a dark-horse nod for Best Supporting Actress candidate Lesley Manville (fuck us up, Cyril!), and we-didn't-dare-to-hope nods for Best Picture and Best Director."

Also I saw the movie on Saturday and I loooooooooooooved it. More thoughts later.

wilberfan

This many Oscar noms are indeed a surprise to me.  Although the lack of one for Krieps is really disappointing.

Alethia

©brad

Yeah, especially in this #metoo era. Still, nice to see PTA nominated.

csage97

I don't really get why DDL would be nominated for a leading actor award but Vicky not for the leading actress at the Oscars. They way she says,

SPOILERS

"She can no longer behave this way and be dressed by the house of Woodcock!" after stealing back Barbara Rose's dress and, "I want you flat on your back, helpless" is just great.

/SPOILERS

I do really like DDL's performance but I daresay I think Vicky Krieps' at least matches DDL's in quality. Either the men were generally poorer than the women this year, or there's some favoritism going on here.

I also noticed that it's generally the same eight or so films that are being nominated for all the awards. Obviously it's a Hollywood event and you can't include all the indie films and stuff, but I'm sure there are more deserving movies that are skipped over. What about Florida Project or Richard Linklater's new film? I can't take awards ceremonies too seriously, and history shows us that they don't dictate what's actually the best or has the biggest impact. Awards ceremonies are kind of strange and inbred anyway.

Alethia

Such a ridiculous snub. DDL doesn't need another trophy. Nor does Meryl Streep - she was good and all in The Post, but let's get real: Vicky Krieps is one of the great cinematic finds of this century and ahhh fuck the Oscars.